I know the scale lies, but stil....frustrated!

Options
wa_tracy
wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
So this is the deal. I 100% know and get that 3500 calories equals a pound and I know that I'm not eating that. I totally get that. But for two weeks I've gone up on the scale and back down to where I've started. For two weeks I have not lost anything on a cut. Now I know I haven't gained as well b/c my clothes aren't tighter, I'm still in a couple of smaller pairs of pants and my belt is still down a notch, but still, this is crazy frustrating. I totally get that I'm building muscle, while banishing some fat. I know it b/c I can feel it and see it. It's like the two are balancing each other out. It's a big hurdle I need to get over. This mental problem. I sit and watch people on here lose weight. Every week. Sometimes posting losses twice a week. And I see how limiting their diets are...how they do the 1200-1300 food dance and I 100% know that I don't ever want to go to that. I wasn't happy. I've done it several times before, gaining it all back and then some b/c I know I can't maintain that lifestyle. I find myself more and more having to talk myself into this EM2WL mentality. I find myself doubting these choices despite all that I know.

So my plan this week...I'm going back to eating at TDEE for a week as I just finished week 6 of a cut. And when I'm done, I'm going back to a 15% cut as the past 2 weeks I decided to try a 20% cut to rev up my loss before I return back to work in a couple weeks (I'm a teacher.). I'm going to keep plugging away at my workouts, trying to amp up strength training (I'd love to do NROWLFW but I don't have a gym membership...is this possible?).

I'm not going to give up. But sometimes, I just need to come here to vent to all of you on this same path to know I'm not alone and to not give up. You know?

Replies

• HeidiHoMom
    HeidiHoMom Posts: 1,393 Member
    Options
    The thing is that EM2WL is very slow weight loss. You have to get your mind out of expecting even 1 pound losses per week (on the scale).

Let me tell you, I lost 6.5 lbs in my first few weeks doing this, then I did not lose an ounce on the scale for 8 weeks after that. I stuck with it and the scale is now trending downward but only by about a half pound or less per week.

This would normally bother me, and sometimes it does but then I think....do I really want to go back to eating 1200 just to speed things up a bit (and to be honest I wasn't losing on 1200 either so what's the difference?).

As long as I am not gaining, I know my body is changing because I am exercising (cardio and heavy weights), I can see muscles developing, I feel better, I have more energy and I am not having binges. These things are so much more important than seeing the scale go down by a pound or more each week.

It is hard, no doubt about it. I see others on this site dropping weight like crazy eating 1200 cals. BUT then a few later who are the people posting about how they are eating 1200 cals and not losing anymore? What are you supposed to do? Eat less than that? And what happens when they want to eat at maintenance? Their metabolism will be slow and they will gain on low calorie levels.

I would rather lose at a snails pace so that when I do finally get to where I want to be, I will still be able to eat 2000 or more calories a day and maintain.

AND I also want to enjoy life (which involves eating good food) in the mean time.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    It's a big hurdle I need to get over. This mental problem.

Hi there, I'm going to play the role of 'Captain Obvious' here... You know you are becoming more compact. You know this is a lifestyle you can maintain. You prefer this over losing and gaining the same xx pounds over and over again for the rest of your life...

Stop resisting :) Let go of old school measurement tools. Enjoy the slow steady progress of the beginning of the rest of your life!! Believe me I know, I'm up 13 pounds but still in the same size... It's hard to accept until you stop resisting what is and embrace the great things that are the new size and shape of your body... Hopefully that and the fact that you got it off your chest makes you feel better:)
  • wa_tracy
    wa_tracy Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    It's a big hurdle I need to get over. This mental problem.

Hopefully that and the fact that you got it off your chest makes you feel better:)

I so needed to get it off my chest and I do feel better ;)
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options

I'm not going to give up. But sometimes, I just need to come here to vent to all of you on this same path to know I'm not alone and to not give up. You know?

Right there with ya, girl! Had a very similar vent a few weeks ago. But I'm getting better at letting go of the scale, and focus on other victories. It takes practice!
  • lforner46
    lforner46 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain too !! It is sooo frustrating to only lose 1 lb in a month or no lbs in 2 months but yes, the clothes are fitting better and if you are not gaining - KEEP with it.
  • sassylm22
    Options
    nicely said!
  • LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    The thing is that EM2WL is very slow weight loss. You have to get your mind out of expecting even 1 pound losses per week (on the scale).

Let me tell you, I lost 6.5 lbs in my first few weeks doing this, then I did not lose an ounce on the scale for 8 weeks after that. I stuck with it and the scale is now trending downward but only by about a half pound or less per week.

This would normally bother me, and sometimes it does but then I think....do I really want to go back to eating 1200 just to speed things up a bit (and to be honest I wasn't losing on 1200 either so what's the difference?).

As long as I am not gaining, I know my body is changing because I am exercising (cardio and heavy weights), I can see muscles developing, I feel better, I have more energy and I am not having binges. These things are so much more important than seeing the scale go down by a pound or more each week.

It is hard, no doubt about it. I see others on this site dropping weight like crazy eating 1200 cals. BUT then a few later who are the people posting about how they are eating 1200 cals and not losing anymore? What are you supposed to do? Eat less than that? And what happens when they want to eat at maintenance? Their metabolism will be slow and they will gain on low calorie levels.

I would rather lose at a snails pace so that when I do finally get to where I want to be, I will still be able to eat 2000 or more calories a day and maintain.

AND I also want to enjoy life (which involves eating good food) in the mean time.

^^^THIS!! this this this this this. I could not have said any of it better myself. The energy, the binges, the muscles, the scale, everything. Amazing attitude Heidi!!
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    This is the most rewarding and yet the most frustrating journey of my life. The trade-off of it all is I feel stronger, and more capable than I ever have before in my ENTIRE life. Learning to ignore the scale is hard, but I am learning.
  • meggyh20
    meggyh20 Posts: 116
    Options

Your story and mine are so eerily similar... :) And that makes me feel better. Along with the recent break in the 8 week plateau I was on recently. I totally agree with all you wrote.
  • calypso11
    calypso11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I am up five pounds from my lowest weight since starting EM2WL and incorporating more strength training into my workout routines. I come from a slightly different perspective because I had already reached my goal weight before eating more, but the scale terror is still the same. Despite none of my clothes feeling tighter, I can't help but wince every time I get on the scale and see that larger number.
  • crystalwelshroberts
    crystalwelshroberts Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am up five pounds from my lowest weight since starting EM2WL and incorporating more strength training into my workout routines. I come from a slightly different perspective because I had already reached my goal weight before eating more, but the scale terror is still the same. Despite none of my clothes feeling tighter, I can't help but wince every time I get on the scale and see that larger number.

Congrats on reaching your goal! I know it's hard to see the number go up. But give it time. If your clothes still fit - you can eventually release the number as a gauge for success. Your size and photos can be you new measures for success.

Congrats again, I'm sure you'll maintain :)
  • calypso11
    calypso11 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Congrats on reaching your goal! I know it's hard to see the number go up. But give it time. If your clothes still fit - you can eventually release the number as a gauge for success. Your size and photos can be you new measures for success.

Congrats again, I'm sure you'll maintain :)

Thank you for the encouragement! There really is nothing more terrifying then the thought of gaining back everything you've lost so this is a real exercise (no pun intended!) in mental gymnastics for me.
  • mrsacoulter
    mrsacoulter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had this exact conversation with myself the other day... I had to reset because of surgery.. Gained like 10LBS!!! I was pissed... Everyone was telling me, lower your clas... I ignored them because I know that is the wrong thing to do... Especially as a vegetarian - my calories are pretty clean (minus this bagel I am eating)... LOL... Anywho... I stayed with it, and I have now lost 5 of the 10LBS that I gained. I eat at -15% on most days... and up my intake when I lift weights according to MFP's suggestions. Stay focused and encouraged. Like a poster above, this is not an easy or fast process AT ALL...
  • 70davis
    70davis Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • geordiegirl27
    geordiegirl27 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm not alone then!!

I've had 2 weeks with the scales showing a gain but if I hop on & off the scales over the week my weight is up & down like a yoyo I never want to go back to low calories I'm loving the freedom to eat a bit more & found I've not craved anything since starting this which is great too - chocolate I can take or leave now previously it's all I wanted to eat!!

I've decided to only weigh in monthly along with my measurements in a hope it'll stop messing with my head it's the head that's the problem we're not programmed to think that eating more is good for us.

Keep up the great work & don't let the scales take away the NSV's you're having xx