sexual incompatability

dbrightwell1270
dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
Let's say you're at the stage of a relationship where you start having sex. The sex is okay but not great for whatever reason. You and your partner both have orgasms but you wouldn't call it mind blowing by any stretch. The medium quality could be because you both prefer to be the aggressive or passive one. Size differences make it difficult to do certain things you like, you like it a little on the rougher side while your partner likes it more gentle or vice versa, etc. How would you address it? Would you break up over it? If so, how many times would it take it you to be sure it wasn't going to work out and to break up?

Replies

• DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    I don't think it is worth breaking up over. The first thing to ask is what level of communication that there's been on this. Sometimes very forthright sexual discussions about preferences are difficult to have, but it is better that they are had.
  • shammxo
    shammxo Posts: 1,432 Member
    Sometimes sex is just awkward in the beginning phases of the relationship. Feeling out what the other person likes, doesn't like, etc.
    Eventually you're going to have to find some kind of "compromise". I don't even know if that's the right word. If you can't find "middle ground", and several months down the road the sex is still bad... Then maybe it just won't work out.

But communication is key, especially to find out whether or not the other person is feeling the same way as you are about the situation. 'Cause they might think it's great. It has to be approached delicately. And I'm not very tactful, so I don't know what one would/should say.
  • Meghan0116
    Meghan0116 Posts: 1,340 Member
    Communication is key, talk about it. If she isn't willing to discuss the sexual issues, it does not bode well for future communications.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Communication is definitely key, I know I'm usually up for trying new things if they say they like something I'm not really used to doing. Even if I'm not good at it at first it's always fun trying.

You have to know what your limits are though. I've been with people who "needed" me to talk dirty to them, I just couldn't do it. I couldn't take myself that seriously and I'd start laughing every time. If you can't find a common ground you might as well stop seeing each other.
  • flimflamfloz
    flimflamfloz Posts: 1,980 Member
    Sometimes sex is just awkward in the beginning phases of the relationship. Feeling out what the other person likes, doesn't like, etc.
    But communication is key, especially to find out whether or not the other person is feeling the same way as you are about the situation. 'Cause they might think it's great. It has to be approached delicately.
    This, more or less.

Sex can start a bit "slowly" sometimes, especially if you like it a bit rougher, it might take a while for both partners to "tune in"/adjust and be comfortable enough with each other to give in some control to the other partner (because it takes trust to have sex on a deeper level and when control is involved).
    The thing though is that if you both share the same desire to be dominated or dominant (and are not really keen on swapping role, by what I mean you can only really get off in a specific situation) it won't work too well in the long run, as while you will be perfectly able to please the other person, you will not please yourself at the same time. So you will have to alternate, and this isn't going to be satisfying, also you will have to "fake it" a lot of the time - which is annoying.
    In this case, I would break up over it.

Yeah, I guess communication is key, just so that you both know you fancy the same type of stuff - some people are just allergic to some specific things. It might be easier though to hint at what you fancy right in the middle of a session.
    The medium quality could be because you both prefer to be the aggressive or passive one.
    you like it a little on the rougher side while your partner likes it more gentle or vice versa, etc. How would you address it? Would you break up over it? If so, how many times would it take it you to be sure it wasn't going to work out and to break up?
    These two (aggressive/passive, rough/soft) are the type of things you normally break up over. My personal estimate would be after 2-3 months, probably depending on the frequency at which you're having sex though (well that's normally when I feel the need of going farther).
    If you're asking the question here, clearly it starts getting on your nerves, so you might want to discuss this now with the girl and explain that it might not work out because you two don't fancy the same type of stuff. Maybe she'll just accept this, or maybe she'll say she's OK to try.
    It might just be a case of "make or break" since the relationship is probably fvcked anyway if you guys don't want the same thing.

The underlying idea is that yes it is fine to break up over sexual incompatibility, and the earlier you know the better. If the person is not curious about the type of sex you desire (and is not up for trying), then it's not worth it, it's just going to be unfulfilling, unsatisfying and more complicated as time goes by.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,064 Member
    I would try reframing the problem in your mind. Rather than being "incompatible," which to me implies that you can never be compatible, I would think of it as "we both have different needs and wants that we have to work on together," because it's an active process.

And I also say that if you don't feel comfortable discussing your sexual needs and wishes with that person, you shouldn't be having sex with them and maybe you shouldn't be dating at all. But I think if you can just say to the girl that you both need to work together to get sex to go from okay to awesome, then you will figure it out.

Additionally, I think that you can have a wonderful relationship with a person and have so-so sex. Whether you want to stay with that person depends on how much you value sex vs emotional intimacy. There are plenty of good marriages and relationships where the couple isn't having sex, so I think plenty of people can survive so-so sex.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    No, it's not worth breaking up over....my point....

I was in a sexually abusive marriage, I became ungodly modest and introverted when it came to that topic. Disliked it, and didn't really care to do the act. The then bf was dissapointed and wished for more in that area of our relationshp.

I then had a coming to Jesus meeting with myself after a deep (open and very honest) conversation with the bf, and I'm talking I did some real soul searching to understand why I felt the way I did about it, and was I justified to continue the way I had. I mean I would have called our sex life mediocre to good, and I hate to toot my own horn but....I am now a freak in the bed, and I find it fun, and I miss it a little right now, but looking forward to learning with the next guy.

So be patient!
  • La_Amazona
    La_Amazona Posts: 4,855 Member
    Guess I'm going against the flow here but for me it's much like DM describes relationships, it should run smoothly.

I think sex should be easy and should feel natural. Yes, it'll be awkward (but should still be fun) and a learning experience but still, it should be easy. Ive talked about kissing before. If by the second time we kiss and we don't flow, it turns me off.

I don't know.. Sex is a very important part of a relationship to me. I wouldn't settle for mediocre and that can be different for each person. I want someone adventurous who can't keep his hands off of me and vice versa whom I feel fireworks with.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Sex can start a bit "slowly" sometimes

I think the idea that it takes time to develop sexual chemistry makes sense. There seems to be some degree of quality in the OP’s situation. It’s not without merit as he describes it.

Guess I'm going against the flow here but for me it's much like DM describes relationships, it should run smoothly.

I think sex should be easy and should feel natural. Yes, it'll be awkward (but should still be fun) and a learning experience but still, it should be easy. Ive talked about kissing before. If by the second time we kiss and we don't flow, it turns me off.

I don't know.. Sex is a very important part of a relationship to me. I wouldn't settle for mediocre and that can be different for each person. I want someone adventurous who can't keep his hands off of me and vice versa whom I feel fireworks with.

The idea that relationships should run smoothly and the idea in the 2 quotes above are not contradictory. Will sex be amazing the first time a new couple does it? For most, that is likely not the case. But there should be a solid foundation to build upon.
  • dbrightwell1270
    My question is more generic than being about a specific situation. At least not a current situation. My thoughts when I asked this question were more in line with I wouldn't stay with someone who I thought just had a pleasant but okay personality because the sex was mind blowing (or at least I like to think I wouldn't), so would/should I stay with someone with whom the personality and interests seemed to click but the sex was meh?

I am inclined to say no I wouldn't. I tend to think the biggest difference between friendship and relationship is sex. If the sex isn't good just be friends. Given that I wouldn't, the question becomes how much time should you take to determine whether it was a mediocre experience that isn't going to get better or just being awkward getting to know one another's likes/dislikes.
  • DavetheHYNIC
    DavetheHYNIC Posts: 318 Member
    Let's say you're at the stage of a relationship where you start having sex. The sex is okay but not great for whatever reason. You and your partner both have orgasms but you wouldn't call it mind blowing by any stretch. The medium quality could be because you both prefer to be the aggressive or passive one. Size differences make it difficult to do certain things you like, you like it a little on the rougher side while your partner likes it more gentle or vice versa, etc. How would you address it? Would you break up over it? If so, how many times would it take it you to be sure it wasn't going to work out and to break up?

If all her other qualities were spectacular: Great Career, Fun, personable, very intelligent, interesting, great cook, dresser, great grade of hair, a nice 401k and all the qualities and intangibles that I like I would probably keep her but go the Chad Ochocinco route, except I wouldn't get a receipt, I mean who gets a receipt for condoms?

Hey I'm just being honest like women CLAIM they want men to do
  • julesboots
    julesboots Posts: 311 Member
    In agreement with all above posts, communication is where it's at. But, if it comes down to both people wanting to be submissive or dominant (I think if your tendency is strong in this area, it is really hard to swap roles), or if one required it to be gentle or rough all the time- I would have to really consider things. It would be hard for me to maintain a long term relationship without some weird resentments if I felt judged or sexually frustrated, and that would be unfair to my partner.
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    If you're not sexually compatible its not going to work in the long run.

But I also think you can work at it if you aren't worlds apart!

It just depends on what the specifics are. If one of you is into BDSM/swinging/strangulation/watersports etc and the other one isn't, then there's going to be a problem long term.

I think sexual compatibility is very important.. If its not that obvious in the beginning, I would know in a few months if its not going gel :flowerforyou:
  • MikeM53082
    MikeM53082 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Life is too short to have anything but great sex. I would break it off. Just tell her you aren't compatible and don't think she's the 'one'.
  • The thing about sexual incompatibility is it spills out in other areas of the relationship. If your significant other feels there are issues in the bedroom... that they aren't pleasing you in one way or the other I believe this will create tension in every-day life.

I agree with Mike... life is way too short to have anything be EPIC sex... will every time be that way? no... but if you're with someone that rocks your world 98% of the time .. .this would be ideal.

I would not continue a relationship with sub-par sex.
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member
    I think it's more important how interested the person is in pleasing you or vice versa so you can over time figure out what works for the two of you. My first longer relationship was with someone very focused on himself only. I, on the other hand, tend to be a pleaser... all that meant is that I pleased him and we were finished. Not Good!! Now if I'd been focused on me and him on him, that probably would work better though it'd be a rush to the finish to see who wins. Obviously for me, if someone is focused on me, I enjoy pleasing them and we both end up happy.... but figuring that out can take more than a time or two. So I can be patient... for a while...

So I don't think it's a huge issue as long as both people are learning what the other enjoys. I certainly don't let my freak side come out the first few times... it might scare him away, haha :blushing:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member

So I don't think it's a huge issue as long as both people are learning what the other enjoys. I certainly don't let my freak side come out the first few times... it might scare him away, haha :blushing:

Yeah, but why wait? If its going to be a dealbreaker then it's better to know sooner rather than later, isn't it? For both parties?
  • NCTravellingGirl
    NCTravellingGirl Posts: 717 Member

Yeah, but why wait? If its going to be a dealbreaker then it's better to know sooner rather than later, isn't it? For both parties?

I get what you're saying, Anna. And I agree to a point....nothing wrong with letting your Freak Flag Fly! I personally struggle with the balance. I consider myself a "good girl" yet when I'm comfortable with a guy (not often), I'd try about anything so that's led me to try some thing's I didn't expect to enjoy that definitely don't fit with the good girl image I tend to have. I'm still working to find that balance of letting go and enjoying whatever I want but also what boundaries do I feel comfortable with.

I know I'm 36 so it doesn't matter what my parents think, but I'd probably want to die of embarassment if I ended up arrested for indecent exposure and sex in a public place.... yet it's kinda hot (I'm guessing, really...ok, maybe not :blushing: ).
  • Prahasaurus
    Prahasaurus Posts: 1,381 Member
    Is this a specific issue with your girlfriend, or is this purely a hypothetical, and has nothing to do with you?
  • dbrightwell1270
    Is this a specific issue with your girlfriend, or is this purely a hypothetical, and has nothing to do with you?

This is a mixture of hypothetical and a past experience. A while back, I was dating a gal who was extremely attractive but seemed to have her confidence shattered. She was blind-sided by a divorce where her ex moved in with another woman the day he left her. There were a lot of things about her that I liked but there were also a lot of things about her that made me think the chances of anything serious coming out of it were pretty slim. Because her self-confidence seemed shaken and I wasn't really sure that it wasn't purely her looks that were driving my interest, I had way more doubts and reservations than I normally would. These doubts flowed into the bedroom. The sex was okay (she had enough orgasms that she wasn't faking it) but it's not like either one of us seemed to really be in the moment. A few days later she told me she thought we'd be better off as friends that she wasn't ready for a relationship. A few weeks later I got out of her that she didn't think we clicked physically. I was rather upset that she didn't talk to me about it. After thinking about it more I'm not sure it was a bad decision. The sex really was mediocre. I didn't have a great time either. We both seemed to prefer to take initiative and be more dominant than submissive. There never seemed to be any kind of rhythm and it was a little clumsy.

The situation got me thinking about relationships and sex in general though. I can think of times in the past where I thought the sex was okay but not great. It never seemed to really improve. It always seems that the times that start off as mind-blowing are the ones that get better with time. Based on these experiences, I was just wondering how long people need/will give it before writing it off as not being the one and moving on.