Rowing - Introduce Yourself...

Options
CrankyGoatWECHANGED
edited June 2018 in Social Groups
I love rowing and after years of neglecting one of my favourite activities I have finally gotten back into it. Currently using my Concept II Indoor Rower with plans to treat myself to a nice new rowing shell and resume my love for ocean rowing once I achieve my weight loss goals. Vancouver Island, particularly the south eastern and central parts of the island, is ideal for open water rowing. However, weighing over 200 lbs makes me unsuited for many of the ocean going rowing shells currently on the market... a very good motivator for me to smarten up and shape up!

Many experts consider rowing on the ergometer/indoor rower or on the water a superior fitness activity. When compared to the many other choices: running, walking, stepping, biking, weight lifting, skiing, none are as complete a workout as rowing when it comes to a single exercise.

Rowing exercises all major muscle groups: legs, arms, back, abdominal, and buttocks. Legs provide most of the power of the rowing stroke; your upper body adds the rest. Rowing is one of the few aerobic activities that can actually strengthen your back.

Rowing exercises muscles through a wider range of motion than most other exercises, thereby improving and maintaining flexibility around some of the major joints. This also makes the exercise more satisfying because the rower has a sense of motion.

Rowing is a great calorie burner. Recent research showed that rowing burns calories faster than biking at the same perceived level of exertion. In other words, it feels easier to burn more calories while rowing than while biking.

Rowing is a smooth, rhythmic motion that is impact free and consider a lifelong sport, able to be enjoyed by all ages, from kids to grandparents.

The list goes on ... but one thing I've learned is that it tends to be a love it or hate it sport. If you try and and enjoy it, you will likely get hooked as it being a lifelong sport and preferred exercise routine.

In Summary:

Rowing brings significant health benefits. It exercises all the major muscle groups through the full range of motion, involves no body contact or jarring of the joints, and improves both strength and cardiovascular performance. Rowing is a sport that can be enjoyed by all. You can start at any age, learn the technique quickly and improve on it for the rest of one’s life!

I am seeking fellow rower's out there, be you an indoor or an outdoor rower, to help support, motivate, encourage and challenge each other along the path to our individual fitness goals...

Replies

• temsabi
    temsabi Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hey there! I'm actually not a rower yet...but, I am seriously looking into it as I got a super cheap rowing action exerciser and even though it's super low resistance I love it. Now I am really excited about getting an indoor rower, though preferably taking a class or two for rowing to see if I like it--but lessons are expensive! Rowing seems like a great workout and gets people out on the water, and I've always loved the water!

How hard is it to learn? How often do you crash into things because you can't look behind you while rowing? How would you compare an indoor rowing workout to an outdoor one (other than the obvious benefits of fresh air)? Thanks!

Oh, and for background I'm 26 and live in San Francisco. Used to go kayaking and canoeing a lot with my family way back when, but never really rowing...
  • arendseagle6
    Options
    Hey! I am also a rower. Bit the bullet and bought a used single last year that I share with my 2 daughters. Once this sport is in your blood, it doesn't leave! I have beedn invloved with the sport a very long time, have many friends around the world because of it. I do believe it is the most vigourous sport out there, as it sort of combines marathin running with sprinting. Excellent cardio for sure!

hope you reach your goal to get your boat!!
  • arendseagle6
    Options
    If you have any sort of co-ordination in sport, rowing is for you! It can be frustrating at first, as it is very technical, but ince you get past the blisters and boat set-up, it is smmooth "sailing"!
  • CrankyGoatWECHANGED
    Options
    Hey! I am also a rower. Bit the bullet and bought a used single last year that I share with my 2 daughters. Once this sport is in your blood, it doesn't leave! I have beedn invloved with the sport a very long time, have many friends around the world because of it. I do believe it is the most vigourous sport out there, as it sort of combines marathin running with sprinting. Excellent cardio for sure!

hope you reach your goal to get your boat!!

Great to hear from fellow rowers, and thanks for the hopeful gesture - it really is a great motivator for me to strive for, as the ocean shell I'm gearing towards works best with a rider around 180 lbs or less! Check it out at: http://www.rocat.co.uk/ the company has floundered but the design is amazing and the designer is still pushing forward to get a production line happening...
  • Cheshire_Kat
    Cheshire_Kat Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi, i have just gotten into rowing, i really like it i have been doing this at my gym, i am not ready for water rowing just yet i would just tip it and get wet LOL.anyway i feel a but awkward rowing at the moment i think i need to work on technique. I like the idea of rowing for a workout. I thought this would be a good group to join =]
  • brennamurphy42
    Options
    I'm a rower on a competitive college team (Lafayette College) and I absolutely love it. I have to say, after training year round for my team, rowing on an indoor rowing machine is one of my least favorite things. But I still do it to keep in shape and I can't wait to get back out on the water again.
  • CrankyGoatWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm a rower on a competitive college team (Lafayette College) and I absolutely love it. I have to say, after training year round for my team, rowing on an indoor rowing machine is one of my least favorite things. But I still do it to keep in shape and I can't wait to get back out on the water again.

I agree, indoor rowing does not even come close to the whole ambiance of outdoor rowing, but I'll take what I can get... If I recall, LaFayette's Rowing Team has always been strong in competitions ... I believe you still have Trish Brubaker as team coach?
  • brennamurphy42
    Options

I agree, indoor rowing does not even come close to the whole ambiance of outdoor rowing, but I'll take what I can get... If I recall, LaFayette's Rowing Team has always been strong in competitions ... I believe you still have Trish Brubaker as team coach?

Ah yes! Actually, she has just left us to move to Chicago and pursue a new career there. She will be so missed! She's been with us for eight years now.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm Alexa, 23 and from the UK. I've recently taken up rowing just as a way to mix up my cardio at the gym - and I love it! I'm currently doing it 10mins at a time as part of a routine (managing about 2km in that time), but would be interested to hear if anyone has a strategy for upping to a longer time - as rowing is so much more satisfying a workout than anything else I've found at the gym so far!
  • CrankyGoatWECHANGED
    Options
    Hey!

I'm Alexa, 23 and from the UK. I've recently taken up rowing just as a way to mix up my cardio at the gym - and I love it! I'm currently doing it 10mins at a time as part of a routine (managing about 2km in that time), but would be interested to hear if anyone has a strategy for upping to a longer time - as rowing is so much more satisfying a workout than anything else I've found at the gym so far!

Are you using a Concept II for your indoor rower? Is so, check out their website www.concept2.com as they have a wealth of information, supports and online forums to help out -- it can be a lot of fun to compete with others around the globe...
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Wow, thank you, there's so much useful information on there! That's exactly what I was looking for.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Are you using a Concept II for your indoor rower? Is so, check out their website www.concept2.com as they have a wealth of information, supports and online forums to help out -- it can be a lot of fun to compete with others around the globe...

I like their technique videos. ;0)
  • DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So pleased to find a group for rowing on here. I used to row for Thames RC, Putney, in London, but following a back injury I was forced to retire. Now I'm getting into it again as part of my weight loss programme, and have a water rower at home.
    Back up to 40 minute pieces now, with the aim of getting this up to an hour, (couldn't do it without the headphones!) One issue I have is that the calibration on the water rower is completely different to a Concept II, and I don't get any split times. I can't find any comparison tables on the net. Does anyone have any links they could share?
  • CrankyGoatWECHANGED
    Options
    So pleased to find a group for rowing on here. I used to row for Thames RC, Putney, in London, but following a back injury I was forced to retire. Now I'm getting into it again as part of my weight loss programme, and have a water rower at home.
    Back up to 40 minute pieces now, with the aim of getting this up to an hour, (couldn't do it without the headphones!) One issue I have is that the calibration on the water rower is completely different to a Concept II, and I don't get any split times. I can't find any comparison tables on the net. Does anyone have any links they could share?

Sorry, I am not aware of any online support links for the WaterRower. What are your impressions with the Water Rower, they look like a great design and I have been itching to try one - the Concept II is a great indoor rower but looks so industrial in my house, I know it sounds a bit vain but I would love an effective indoor rower that looks elegant as well ... your Water Rower seems to fit the bill!
  • DavidMW1
    DavidMW1 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hi CrankyGoat,

the first thing you will notice about a water rower, is that it's a lot quieter than a Concept II. Sounds a bit like a swooshing washing machine, and is much easier on the neighbours if you happen to live in an apartment.
    Very smooth action, and can also be stowed away standing on end, courtesy of two small wheels that are fixed in place, just lift the slide end, and roll it to where you want it.
    The only down side I've come across, is that the calibration isn't as good as a Concept II. Concept set the benchmark for rowing training with their monitor that shows split times. There's no comparison possible with a water rower that I know of, and whereas I can quite happily pull off a 500M split of about 1:55 on a Concept, I can't get better than close to 3 minutes for the same distance on the water rower. My opinion is that if you want to be serious about crew rowing, you should go for the Concept II, but if just for home fitness use, I think the Water rower is a more elegant, and quieter machine.
  • ajjaxx
    ajjaxx Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I started rowing in high school and fell in love immediately, but I haven't been in a boat in years. My love of rowing stems from a love of boats in general. I'm looking forward to getting back in the water once I've lost some weight. Glad to see there's a group for rowers here. I thought about joining the row around the world group too, but I'm not sure if that's already started or not. I am looking forward to spending a lot of time on a Concept II once I get back home.

Nice to meet you all!

Best,
    Isaac
  • dhefka
    dhefka Posts: 1
    Options
    Hello everyone. I just joined my fitness pal and this is the first group I'm joining. I'm very glad to find a rowing group since I have a Concept II rower at home and will be using it as my primary cardio workout, for the rest of my life I guess. I want to lose 20 lbs. and get more fit, so off we go. My most serious challenge right now is getting up at 6 a.m. to get my 45-min. row in every day.
  • qbuster
    qbuster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Rowing was my sport from about 12 years old. We rowed on the Thames in London (Hammersmith) and I was lucky enough to be in many winning crews in various regattas. Wonderful social life too.....

I have owned a Concept II for many years and in recent years I used it perhaps 2 or 3 times a month. But in July I had a mild stroke and so now I am using it 3 or 4 times a week - usually 2.5km. I was 75 this year so I'm not as fit as I used to be but I can already feel (and see) the difference now that I am rowing several times a week.

Having raced competively, I get a good smile when I see the rowing technique taught by so many fitness trainers at local gyms - hands away so late that the user has to lift them up and over their knees! ;>)

Cheers

Will
  • qbuster
    qbuster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So pleased to find a group for rowing on here. I used to row for Thames RC, Putney, in London,

When was that? I was rowing from Hammersmith (Parkside Rowing Club, later Furnivall Sculling Club) from around 1949-57 and then in Philadelphia during the '60's and once in Calcutta!. That dates me a bit but I did start young (at 12 or 13)!

I now confine my rowing to my Concept II which I have had for around 20 years.

Cheers

Will
  • JaneUK
    JaneUK Posts: 102
    Options
    I started rowing on a C2 in about 2004 and lost about 12kg to become a lightweight. A little later I took up rowing on water, with a definite preference for sculling. Sadly I just don't have the time to get on water now, but I still have my C2s and I row regularly. Being short (5'2") and not too heavy (60kg) I am suited to distance rowing and have completed a few marathons and half marathons in my time. My PB splits are around 2:07 for 2k, 2:11 for 5k, 2:17 for half marathon and 2:26 for marathon. I need to do a bit of work to replicate those times!

Looking forward to seeing more rowers here...!
    Jane