Back Squats

Options
findingfit23
findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
Did my first full set of 5 back squats today!
Ive been using dumbbells because the bar is very uncomfortable for me. But 25 lb dumbbells kill my arms more than my legs, so I need to start working on that bar. Next week 2 sets!

ETA: I was pretty unstable and swaying like crazy, but I'll keep trying :)

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!

Is the pain you describe from the bar digging into your back/neck area?

They make pads you can strap onto the barbell for squats. Your gym may have one if you workout at a gym.

If not then you can just wrap either a towel or a yoga mat around the bar to give it some padding. I use a yoga mat a soft fabric belt to tie it on so it doesn't come off until i want it to.
    You might also need to look up some advice online about the correct placement for the bar on your back to give you less pain (and also to correct your form which will affect other aspects of the movement).
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Ditch the pads, the towels! You don't need it, you're better off doing hise shrugs and work your traps. It will help you a lot and the bar will rest "more comfortable". Used to be one of my main problems when I started and tht exercise helped a lot. No more bruises. :laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5cXlGOIFfo
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    I experience a lot of pain doing squats but it has nothing to do with the bar on my back. I've learned to tense up my muscles back there so the weight doesn't hurt at all even without a pad...what hurts me are my wrists and shoulders. I am hypermobile so it's not stiffness...I've tried thumbless grip, trying to keep my wrists straight,.....doing dislocations....everything. I am about to switch to the safety squat bar. Does your gym have one of those?
  • findingfit23
    findingfit23 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Its not really pain, more just uncomfortable. I’m short, and I feel like my arms are extra short. Getting my arms behind me like that feels weird. I’ve been doing goblet squats for over a year, I feel like my body is used to compensating for the weight in front. Having the weight in back, with my arms bent all crazy is just too much!

My shoulders are more sore today than they were yesterday, not sure if it’s from the bar, or the rows. If I can add at least one rep with the bar each time, Ill be a happy camper. Might be months before I get to put any weight on for squats, but I’ll get there.

I like the idea of shrugs, I’ll give that a try. Thanks!
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    It took me months to be able to add weight to my squats. You'll get there. :wink:
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    Options
    Its not really pain, more just uncomfortable. I’m short, and I feel like my arms are extra short. Getting my arms behind me like that feels weird. I’ve been doing goblet squats for over a year, I feel like my body is used to compensating for the weight in front. Having the weight in back, with my arms bent all crazy is just too much!

My shoulders are more sore today than they were yesterday, not sure if it’s from the bar, or the rows. If I can add at least one rep with the bar each time, Ill be a happy camper. Might be months before I get to put any weight on for squats, but I’ll get there.

I like the idea of shrugs, I’ll give that a try. Thanks!

it *could* be that putting your hands closer together or further apart will help - for example for me, I can't just grab the bar and then push my elbows back, I lift my elbows, swing them back to where I want the bar to sit (so its distributing its weight evenly across the backs of my arms and back without touching my spine, and then I grasp wherever is comfortable from there.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I experience a lot of pain doing squats but it has nothing to do with the bar on my back. I've learned to tense up my muscles back there so the weight doesn't hurt at all even without a pad...what hurts me are my wrists and shoulders. I am hypermobile so it's not stiffness...I've tried thumbless grip, trying to keep my wrists straight,.....doing dislocations....everything. I am about to switch to the safety squat bar. Does your gym have one of those?

I'm exactly the same, hypermobile with bad wrists. The only thing that helps me is wrist straps...
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I found that relaxing my grip/arms has helped a lot. When I was trying to "hold" the weights up, I would end up with so much pain in my arms and shoulders. So by holding on more loosely, letting the bar completely rest on my traps and only using my hands to keep it level, I'm able to squat with less soreness. I'm only up to 95 pounds, so I this may change with more weight...just thought I'd share.

Actually, here is a post on the matter from an expert:
    Originally Posted by Sand Blaster

Squats and Arm/Shoulder Pain

It is a common phenonemon that the bigger you get and the more you squat, that you will eventually develop arm or shoulder pain. There are roughly three main causes of this: 1) having too narrow of a grip; 2) holding the bar too low on the back; and 3) overusage.

I have had bicep tendonitis so bad that I couldn’t raise my arms and any movement almost reduced me to tears. For those of you who have never had it, I pray that you never do. Image a sharp pain anytime you move your arm, that in its most extreme form, takes your breath. Shoulder pain usually results from the same three causes. A lot of times the only thing that can truly help you is rest, let it heal, and start over not making the same mistakes again. Here are few things that I have learned to keep it to a minimum.

1) Widen your grip when you squat. Learn to ‘balance’ the bar on your back and not ‘hold’ it with your hands. Widening your grip takes time in order to feel comfortable.

2) If you learn to do #1 properly, you can use the lower powerlifting bar placement without too much trouble. Many of us use the lower placement to improve leverage. You can always hold the bar higher on the back but it is likely your poundages will suffer. For some this is not an option.

3) Here’s one of the secrets. Cut the rep work out. Do no more than triples on any set. A lot of the abuse comes from the higher rep sets. Think about it. The bar moves around more, you get tired and have to stabilize it and your biceps and shoulders take the brunt of it. If you have these problems, lower your reps.

4) Use some neoprene sleeves to give extra support for you arms ONLY IF your shoulders are fine. Otherwise, you are just transferring the stress to your shoulders. I like to use them on my heavier sets. A good liniment helps too.

5) Bicep and Shoulder scheduling. You have to plan your training such that after squatting, your shoulders and arms have enough recuperation time. This is usually the easiest way to stay healthy. If you are doing 15 sets of shoulders and arms on Tuesday and then trying to squat heavily on Wednesday, you can understand why eventually it catches up with you. Try to include at least a day or two after a heavy squat session as a rule. You can also substitute a leg press and/or a safety squat bar for your leg work as neither stress the area.

6) Bicep and Shoulder training. Be sure to include work for your Brachialis and Brachioradialis. These include reverse curls, hammer curls, and incline dumbell curls. Don’t go crazy with volume as that will only make your problem worse.

7) Lastly, don’t be afraid to take some time off. I found that at some point, rest is the only thing that helps.

http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3415