What is the connection with heavy weight lifting?

Options
Does heavy lifting go hand in hand with EMtWL? Is it possible to lose weight when eating at cut if you aren't currently doing rigorous strength training? I'm trying to add more weight training to my cardio routines (and I know cardio isn't the optimal exercise for this program). Theoretically, if I were sedentary and eating at a 15% cut, would I conceivably still lose weight? Right now I'm more concerned with losing fat than with gaining muscle.

I'm sorry about posting so many questions. I'm just so nervous that this won't work for me.

Replies

• DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Gaining muscle will aid, tremendously, in losing fat! For every pound of muscle you gain you burn an extra 50 calories/day by keeping your metabolism in a higher state over a 24 hour period. Cardio only increases your metabolism for only a few hours after exercise, so while the calorie bur looks good after cardio, over a full day weight lifting wins! In addition, lifting helps to strengthen, tone and give amazing SHAPE, not to mention the confidence it gives you to feel really strong, not just cardio strong, but powerful strong. When I'm short on time and have to choose between weights and cardio, I now choose weights every time!
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    Thank you for your reply! I am definitely looking into weight training (I've done body pump in the past but my gym no longer offers it. I'm going to read NWGtWL and try the Chalean Extreme dvds). I'm just curious whether eating at a cut of TDEE but above BMR will work without weight training, or is the weight training necessary for it to work and the weight to come off? I will be weight training either way. :)
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    The easy answer is,YES, it will work.... if you burn more calories than you consume you will loose weight. However, there are a lot of variables in this equation. I just find that lifting weights has really helped me loose weight more than cardio did. I still do plenty of cardio and believe it has it's place in a good, well-rounded fitness plan. It sounds like you're on the right track. Start pumping iron and heres to a stronger and healthier you!
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    The principle does work without weight training as well. Not everybody can lift heavy weights. It will just help along the way.
    CLX is a great DVD to get started with
  • neilegni
    neilegni Posts: 36
    Options
    @Dawn: Thank you! How did you start weight training and what does your routine look like now?

@Noor: Thank you! I'm looking forward to diving into it!
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    I had been familiar with weight training since I was about your age... My brother was into body building and I learned a lot from him. I also find it a true interest so I educate myself, a lot about it. I had not lifted as much for a while but after I began changingy lifestyle in November 2011 and began to hit a weight loss plateau, I was inspired by two of my MFP buddies, that were lifting and talking about the great improvements in their body shape. It re-ignited my passion about lifting.

I train pretty hard for a female and I think some of the guys in the free weight area are actually intimidated by me, especially when I pick up heavier weights than they do, lol. I used to use between 2.5-15 pound dumbbells... Now, unless it's certain shoulder work, I rarely touch a weight until 15 pounds and much more! I change up my splits, meaning what body parts I lift, about every 6-8 weeks so my body doesn't get used to it.

If you're just starting I would start slowly, you don't want to get hurt. Use lighter weights until they begin to feel comfortable to you. You mentioned using a few tapes and one of my above MFP friends used Chalean and did great with it.

My biggest tip to you, make sure you use proper form... Otherwise you risk injuring yourself. Never use a weight that is so heavy goose good form... Lots of guys do this, most females dont, I guess we're smarter, lol.

If you want more specifics, just ask... I am more than happy to her my knowledge and enthusiasm.... :)
  • azalais7
    azalais7 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Dawn, I'd love to hear more about your split routine. I'm doing NROL4W right now, but have been wondering what I'll do after to keep switching things up and challenging myself.

One wrinkle is that I have a lower-body disability that prevents me from doing any type of squat or other exercise that requires more than a 90-degree bend at the ankles. I can do deadlifts, though, and I can do incline leg presses because they don't require balance ;-)