emotional roller coaster..

Options
Does anyone else think that a lifestyle change can be sn emotional roller coaster? I can be doing really well and bebhsppy and proud and then stress and tragety hits and I crash hard and then don't given a hoot then gain a ton of weight and then get angry and cry and fell desperate to be healthy. I feel like I'm in a tailspin right now.

Replies

• mamo1014
    mamo1014 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I feel for you....I've been on this roller coaster for 15 years now. I'm also trying to learn how to handle stress without running to the fridge. It's so hard but we have to learn how to redirect our negative feelings. I'm using this site and my friends to vent to and it's helping. I haven't lost any weight in the last month, but I also haven't put any on. Add me as a friend if you want, and shoot me a message and vent your feelings. Maybe by then, the urge to eat will pass. Don't give up..you can do this. You're not alone. :flowerforyou:
  • rspen1005
    Options
    I am right there with you. I have been struggling with this for a while as well. I get that 'negative sound track' stuck in my head and cannot turn it off. I am so glad I found this website, people here understand how you feel. My family does not. I get the "Just snap out of it " speech, which just makes it worse for me. But, I am going to do my best to hang in there. I would be more than happy to help you any way I can.
  • mamo1014
    Options
    Oh, you get the "just snap out it too"? I thought I was the only one with family like that. LOL. If only it were that easy. What keeps me from losing it with people like that, is I take a good look at them and realize they have a bad habit or negative way of dealing with their stress/emotions. They may smoke, drink, do drugs....my way is food. Funny how they can't just snap out it. :smokin:
  • Karenvonw
    Karenvonw Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I totally hear ya! I have the same issues too. I start off doing really well and then something goes wrong, I stress, head right to the food. It is a terrible habit and one that I am working really hard to break. One thing that has helped me these last few weeks is finally realizing that in a world full of confusion and situations beyond my control, this I CAN control. I can control how I deal with my emotions and stress. I can control what goes into my mouth and what does not. Feel free to send me a message and vent if you need to! We are here for each other.
  • losingw8now
    losingw8now Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    That's a good way of looking at it - we CAN control this - but it's learning the new habits and other ways to deal with stress, let down, negative comments from others and in our own heads, etc. I definitely think it's hard and is like a roller coaster - but I have found all of life is - you're up , you're down, you are going straight for a while, then all of a sudden a large curve comes up and it's about trying to find out how you can best deal or survive it. And starting new habits is the same way -for a little while I think I really have it down and then stuff happens and I really feel like going back to what is old, comfortable and familiar. You are definitely not alone.

I agree with everyone saying this website is helpful - people that aren't struggling with it really don't understand. And we don't understand some things other people are going through. But by connecting on here, at least I feel that you guys get how hard it is. That gives me some comfort, that I am not the only one who feels weak just after watching a few ads during a TV show in the evening that keep showing me food that I have always loved to indulge in and am now trying not to or I will only have enough calories to eat that one meal. So plug in, connect, and realize we DO understand and we are on that ride with you!
  • lovedtorun
    Options
    Thank you everyone for helpinme understand that I am not the only one. I hate the feeling I get of desperation and all the other emotions I go through. I am going to become more active in the Emotional Eating Group.

I am also taking on a new view to help me get healthy. I am no longer gonig to look at it as losing weight. I HAVE to get in shape for my career. I am a massage therapist and you have to have good core strength to give massage correctly without injuring or burning yourself out. I do not have near enough core strength and it is affecting my performance.

Thank you all again for being there for me.. through and through.
  • mamo1014
    Options
    I hear pillates are good for core strength...I bought a dvd at Best Buy for $5. It's " Pilates for Dummies". Tell ya what....I'll take the wrapper off and try it this weekend. If I can do it, then it should be a piece of cake for you. I'll email you on Saturday and let you know. Ladies...let's get off this roller coaster...I like the idea of "control". I never thought of it as controlling what I put in my mouth. I'm going to remind myself of that...
  • lovedtorun
    Options
    I hear pillates are good for core strength...I bought a dvd at Best Buy for $5. It's " Pilates for Dummies". Tell ya what....I'll take the wrapper off and try it this weekend. If I can do it, then it should be a piece of cake for you. I'll email you on Saturday and let you know. Ladies...let's get off this roller coaster...I like the idea of "control". I never thought of it as controlling what I put in my mouth. I'm going to remind myself of that...

I will defianately be looking for this dvd!
  • lindab142
    Options
    I usually like to be in control, except when my emotions just run amok. Then, I head for ice cream. We stopped havign snacks I like in the house, which is better, I asked my hubby to hide food from me, I know I should have self-control, but ...

I'm interesting in hearing about a low impact exercise DVD, have problems, with hands, wrists, knees and back - a mess!

Aha, I'll look up the lady I used to work out by on TV, Margaret Richard.

Let's keep on keepin' on. 3 pounds and no changes for past couple of weeks. Yay!