bulletproof coffee recipe

Options
To all you bulletproof coffee drinkers, how do you make yours?

I have never tried it but I like the sounds of it. I'm curious about quantities. I can't get grassfed butter but I bought some ghee today and I have coconut oil already. What quantities of these are you guys using? Does one tablespoon of each sound right? Also, what the heck is considered good quality coffee?

Can anyone share their experience with MCT oil vs coconut oil?

Can't wait to try this tomorrow morning!

Replies

• MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    well there is the bulletproof executive that has the recipe on his site..

I use 2 tblsp organic sweet cream unsalted - plus the mct oil.
    I accidentally bought orange flavored mct - but found I loved it in my coffee.
    I'll occasionally put just some coconut oil in and dream I'm eating movie popcorn - ha.

It definitely works best if you use a blender and pull the center out of the lid or you might end up with butter coffee on your ceiling (I did)
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I drink 16oz coffee with 2tbsp each of ghee and MCT oil. Blend, blend, blend. I browned my ghee the other day and it tasted like toffee or caramel YUM!

The coconut vs MCT is that the MCT is flavorless and the coconut is not, and apparently you'd have to use like 3x (or something) the amount of coconut oil to get the same benefit of MCT
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    16 oz of coffee into a french press, pour the coffee into a blender, 1 TB of MCT Oil and 1 TB or 2 TB of Kerrygold unsalted butter into a blender and blend it. Pour the coffee into a mug and then spice it up with the cinnamon. Delicious!
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to try this but have such a thing with mouth-feel. How do you keep the oil from separating and all going to the top as you drink it? Do you just keep madly stirring it before every sip? I enjoy coffee, but I drink it slowly. Pretty sure an oily top on my coffee would have me heaving first thing in the morning! LOL
  • Jindra12
    Jindra12 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to try this but have such a thing with mouth-feel. How do you keep the oil from separating and all going to the top as you drink it? Do you just keep madly stirring it before every sip? I enjoy coffee, but I drink it slowly. Pretty sure an oily top on my coffee would have me heaving first thing in the morning! LOL

Maybe this would help: Take some of coffee out from a blender into your mug and take your time to finish the coffee in your mug. When you want to get more coffee then you'll just need to press "blend" to blend the coffee and oil and then pour it into your mug.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    if you aren't using a blender - it does separate. If you whip the living *kitten* out of it - it is nice and frothy.
  • sheilabeila66
    Options
    So I finally tried it this morning and here's what I thought:

Pros:
    - super creamy
    - Sustained me through a 4 mile interval run (usually I have to have breakfast and then let it digest before heading out for run)
    - fewer calories than my usual breakfast allowing me to restrict calories, or have a bigger lunch which is what I did today. For those who IF this may be a good way to last longer without completely breaking the fast. I don't really do this though, unless by accident, so I don't know all of the rules.

Cons:
    - Didn't like the flavour of the ghee. I know everyone is going to suggest kerry gold instead of ghee but I can't get it where I am so I will experiment with cinnamon or vanilla tomorrow.
    - Takes slightly longer to prepare than my regular cup of coffe (although totally worth it).

I also didn't have "Upgraded coffee." what kind of coffee are you all using?
  • sheilabeila66
    Options
    I use a magic bullet to blend it really well and it's fine.
  • dcrevenge
    dcrevenge Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am going to use some type of K cup, not sure which yet.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I don't buy into the "upgraded coffee" thing so I just buy decent coffee from the store (think $10-12+ per lb instead of the bargain store brand). Organic preferably, but some stores are limited on what they carry so you can just do the best you can with what you have available. The "upgraded coffee" from what I understand is coffee that resists mold or something, but if it's a decent coffee, they beans wouldn't/shouldn't be moldy.
  • wiginn
    wiginn Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just had my first cup of bulletproof coffee - I use a Keurig, so brewed my coffee with Newman's Own Organic Blend, used 1T of organic unsalted butter and 1T of coconut oil as I've not been able to find MCT Oil. I also sprinkled in a bit of cinnamon. Not too bad. Still trying to get my mind wrapped around contrary-conventional-wisdom information about fats.

Is anyone using the "upgraded coffee?" If I can get my husband to try & like this, I might just have to go back to using my bigger coffee maker and ditch the Keurig for awhile....

:smile:
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    What else would be good besides coffee? I just gave up coffee :( I don't think I can drink any coffee substitute teas because I am allergic to cinnamon.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    So I finally tried it this morning and here's what I thought:

Cons:
    - Didn't like the flavour of the ghee. I know everyone is going to suggest kerry gold instead of ghee but I can't get it where I am so I will experiment with cinnamon or vanilla tomorrow.

I didnt like the ghee either, but the butter does not need to be kerry gold. Look for butter from grass fed cows...definitely unsalted. Around here, I found a brand called Humboldt Farms. I did have to go to a more upscale grocer to find it.
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Just a tip about the Bulletproof Coffee: If you don't have a blender (I don't) or don't want to run it and be noisy in the morning, get yourself a big Mason jar with a tight-fitting lid. I had a big jar from pasta sauce I bought sometime last year, since I'm a packrat and I never throw out nice jars. Anyway, put all your ingredients in the jar, and tighten the lid, and just shake it up for a minute or so. It still mixes the fats in nicely, and you get a nice froth on top.