new to OA & looking for MFP friends

Options
I just went to my first OA meeting last night. It was very enlightening. I woke up today determined to change my life and to fight the compulsion to overeat.

I enjoyed the meeting but was surprised that there was no discussion - people shared their own thoughts but no commenting or discussing. I would like a forum where I can put my thoughts out there and get some feedback.

I would appreciate if anyone would add me as a friend and help me on my journey.

Thanks.

Replies

• motherfloyd
    Options
    Hi
    Welcome to OA and MFP. Meetings can be confusing to the newcomer at first. When you find a sponsor it will help and you can have more one on one discussions about the Steps. If everyone was to comment and discuss others thoughts then the message can get lost in the meeting and we would be off topic. Does that make sense or help? Keep coming back it does get easier. I've been in program 3 1/2 yrs and still learning but I wouldn't want to be anywhere else. :)
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Welcome to OA!!! I agree that the meeting format can be confusing for a newcomer. for now--

-keep coming back to OA meetings
    -check out some books at meetings (OA 12 &12, AA "Big Book") and start reading
    -ask at meetings for someone to sponsor u--the sponsor guides u thru the program
    --if u can, start writing down what u eat, writing your feelings, writing anything that comes up

welcome home!
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I went to my first OA meeting on October 2011 and I am so grateful that I did. Even if it seems weird I knew I had found a 'home' when I heard people share their stories because they were telling mine as well. We don't give feedback or comment or discuss other people's 'shares' so everyone is free to talk without any fear. I can just say and share without worrying about what other people might think or say, hope that makes sense. You can get to know people outside of the meeting, and a sponsor is wonderful to guide you and help with those questions! Getting a copy of the Big Book as we call it or 'Alcohlics Anonymous" and the OA 12 steps and 12 traditions will help a LOT!
    Keep coming back, miracles happen here. xx:flowerforyou: