Whey protein preference

Options
A couple of questions.

1) Why is it that I read most often people drink their protein shake within 30 min after a work out. It seems to me that you would want it to start digesting before protein synthesis occurs, meaning should it not be before you work out?

2) What brands do you guys buy that taste decent? I recently just bought some cheap stuff off the shelf chocolate peanutbutter (wasn't great) I bought the same brand vanilla, and mixed them. (much better) I am sure the more experienced of you have tried several brands. Any recommendations?

Replies

• chaser1977
    chaser1977 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1) depends on the 'type' of protien, and time from digestion to bloodstream. Whey vs soy vs casein; whey is fast. after working out hard and depleting glycogen stores your muscles are looking for things to eat to grow. by feeding them immediately (whey) your muscles will use that for repair before other things, carbs/fat/muscles. hence better growth and repair. (this is knowledge i have read adn gleaned off others, feel free to do your own research)

2) chocolate only for me. tried many others chocolate has always been best flavor for me. recently purchased High 5 from Max Muscle locally, could barely get it down. thats $55 tub. so expensive isnt always better. Went back to old faithful Nitro-Tech Hardcore Pro series. I mix with 1/2 cup of skip milk and 8-10 oz of water
  • vinstevel
    Options
    Thanks!
  • D2244
    D2244 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I use gold standard double rich chocolate (100% whey). It is really good. You can even stir it. I mix it with water and a little mix. When I have time I put it in the blender with a scoop of icecream....killer.
  • fit921
    fit921 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Gaspari Optimum nutrition Whey. I like the banana and vanilla. Super creamy consistency and mixes really easy.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    IMO this is BS suppliment complanies really pushed this crap spike insulin after 30 min workout blah blah there is scientific evidence to suggest you dont need to do this as suppliments say