Waist-hip ratio - important for health and vanity!

Options
KateL1969
KateL1969 Posts: 98 Member
Hi Team
Do you know your waist-hip ratio (WHR)? I'm no expert but apparently it is one of the most important measurements you can take. (See bottom of page to find out how to work it out)

WHR to Help You Live Long and Prosper
Research shows that people with "apple-shaped" bodies (with more weight around the waist) face more health risks than those with "pear-shaped" bodies who carry more weight around the hips. I am apple shaped *Sigh*

Abdominal obesity is defined as a WHR above 0.90 for males and above 0.85 for females, or a body mass index (BMI) above 30.5. Women with WHR of more than 0.8, and men with more than 1.0, are at increased health risk because of their fat distribution. So, I am not only apple shaped but abdominally obese. *another sigh*

WHR and The Increased Likelihood of a Decent Snog
Ok, I have outlined the health related reasons for reducing your waist-hip ratio, but ladies in the team, we want to be drop-dead gorgeous too right?! We want Johnny Depp BEGGING for a date as he is so smitten with our beauty!

Some researchers have found that the waist-hip ratio (WHR) is a significant measure of female attractiveness. Women with a 0.7 WHR are usually rated as more attractive by men from Indo-European cultures. Preferences vary from 0.6 in China, South America, and some of Africa to 0.8 in Cameroon and among the Hazda tribe of Tanzania. Maybe I should move to Tanzania....

It is worth noting that men are more influenced by female waist-size than hip-size: "Hip size indicates pelvic size and the amount of additional fat storage that can be used as a source of energy. Waist size conveys information such as current reproductive status or health status ... in westernized societies with no risk of seasonal lack of food, the waist, conveying information about fecundity and health status, will be more important than hip size for assessing a female's attractiveness."
—Journal of Biological Psychology,

Men in the team - it's not just us women plagued by this attractiveness assessment. Men with low WHRs are likely to be viewed as unattractive by women .

Rather than get depressed about our current measurements, lets use this information as a motivator to reduce our waist size - and our waist-hip ratio closer to the magic 0.7 (waist divided into hip measurement) Mine is currently 0.858

Every journey has a starting point and this is it. Just like every rose has its thorn, every night has its dawn, just like every cowboy sings a sad sad song -in fact just like a questionable glam rock song from the early 90s tells us.

Boring technical bit - According to the World Health Organisation the waist circumference should be measured at the midpoint between your lower rib and the top of your hip. Your hip circumference should be measured around the widest portion of the buttocks, with the tape parallel to the floor. You need to stand with your feet close together and body weight evenly distributed. Once you have yuour measurement divide your waist measurement into your hip measurement and voila!

What is your waist-hip ratio and what celebrity will have to join the back of the line for a hot date with you when you are drop-dead gorgeous ?!

Looking forward to hear from you.
Kate

Replies

• Reneefit135
    Options
    I dont know my measurment but i know it cant be good. My hips are very small and my belly big so :(
  • JennyDuffy
    JennyDuffy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    just to confirm... so we divide our waist by our hips? useless at maths... hence why I teach Drama! haha!
  • dwyadygwyad
    dwyadygwyad Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I dont know my measurment but i know it cant be good. My hips are very small and my belly big so :(

I hear you- I dreaded doing this but it's important for me to face. My waist is 38.3 inches and hips 42"... so, .9 something ratio.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0.75 Yesss lol

I found this calculator ;)
    http://www.healthcalculators.org/calculators/waist_hip.asp?Submit=Close
  • JennyDuffy
    JennyDuffy Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Mine is 0.69!!! So happy with that! having big hips clearly is a blessing!
  • KateL1969
    Options
    Mandy and Jenny - I'm dead jealous!
  • Reneefit135
    Options
    I did mine its 0.82
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    42 Inch Waist 54 Inch Hips.

Your Waist to Hip Ratio is 0.77 and appears to be within a healthy range.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Don't be! My WHR may be considered normal but I have a lot of rolls on these hips! haha
    Mandy and Jenny - I'm dead jealous!
  • KateL1969
    Options
    42 Inch Waist 54 Inch Hips.

Your Waist to Hip Ratio is 0.77 and appears to be within a healthy range.

dvelocity -II would have thought someone with these measurements would have a BMI of over 30.5 so would not be within healthy range. Also, I'm no expert but as people put on weight, their waist and hip measurements generally become closer as weight goes on waist more than hips so it would be unusual to have this ratio.
    Kate
  • dvelocity
    dvelocity Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Yes my BMI is terrible ugly. I have a wierd shape and have a hard time finding pants.
    I am lookiing forward to being a normal size. Regardless of what my size has been I have always had an hourglass type of figure