Can you eat to much protien?

Options
ndbutler3
ndbutler3 Posts: 5 Member
This may be a stupid question but I haven't completely read through my book yet. Can you get to much protien on the paleo diet? I remember when I drank protien shakes in the past I was told to only get 30g in each drink. If you get more than that, the rest turns to sugar in your body. Is that right?

Replies

• 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Try aiming for your desired weight is what I've read, meaning if your desired weight is 180, then 180 grams of protein daily. Keep your ratios at 50/30/20 percent, or something similar, being fat/protein/carbs. I'm sure you can have "too much" of anything, but if you keep your ratios right, then it evens out. Someone else feel free to chime in.
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    There are some studies that say the kidneys can only appropriately process 40-50 grams per "meal". So if you eat 50 a meal - and throw in a protein snack, you are doing good. 50 is quite a bit - I always try to push my protein by requesting double meat on just about everything I order out.
  • digitalalchemy
    digitalalchemy Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yes, if you eat too much protein, it does get converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. However, I wouldn't worry about it too much unless you are worried about being in ketosis. Jimmy Moore has had a problem losing weight because too much protein was affecting his blood ketone levels. I think the amount body can handle in one shot varies from person to person, but there is an upper limit.
  • ndbutler3
    ndbutler3 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone that deff. Helps