The daily fight against old habits

Options
healthyMSk
healthyMSk Posts: 31 Member
I'm finding myself falling back into my old pattern of wanting to eat just because I'm upset & stressed out. I haven't given into it but that ''you will feel better'' record is going in my head . I find myself starting to eat and I'm better now at taking the time to figure out I'm actually tired. It is just scary how automatic the bad behaviors are.
I know there is no way of dealing with it except to ignore the pull of the unhealthy habits. I thought maybe if I said something about the struggle to other people maybe I will be less likely to give in to it.
I know for me learning not to use food to numb my emotions down has got to be just as big a part of this as learning what a proper portion size is or I will find myself putting back on the weight when faced with struggles.
What old habits are you trying to break free from ?

Replies

• KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    The easiest (out of a lot of not-easy choices) is just to not have the bad stuff in the house. (and don't get in the car to go get some when you feel down.)

One thing I noticed was that if there is a bag of Doritos in the kitchen, I will end up with Doritos with my lunch, and maybe a snack later, etc. But...no Doritos = no Doritos. So, whatever it is that temps you, don't buy it! Win that fight at the grocery store, ahead of time.

Find something healthy that also feels good to eat. A ripe strawberry can feel decadent. Or maybe a little bit of peanut butter. When you feel like just a bite of something will help, you can! Just make it a bite of something that won't add guilt on top of the emotions you are already dealing with.
  • Jayme34
    Jayme34 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I find that i have certain triggers, i am a big emotional binge eater. Anything salty is what i want. I stopped buying the unhealthy things that i will binge on; and loaded up on fresh fruit and nuts, 100 calorie popcorn bags are my 'new' treat. Its all about choice, i tell myself that if i have to binge it will be on fruit only lol.

The biggest thing for me is carrying on after i slip up, lets face it we are not perfect and we will have bad days. It just so important to get back up and on the wagon Asap.

the real eye opener for me has been my kitchen scale, just seeing what i am eating has made all the difference. If you must binge, measure it, weigh it etc...chances are you wont eat it! or come on MFP and log it first and then decide if its worth the calories, fat etc.
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Carrying on after a slip up is hard for me as well. There is a powerful "Well, THAT didn't work. Screw it!" voice in my head. Learning not to listen has been one of the hardest and most important of the changes I have had to make. (mentally)
  • healthyMSk
    Options
    I try to keep any things that are unhealthy or that triggers me out. It is not so much trigger foods as trigger feelings with me. That feeling of worthlessness I don't care if it is candy or apples I just get that ''eat don't think'' voice going.

I also have noticed when it has been a really bad day I catch myself saying oh you deserve a fill in the blank. Last fall when my husband was in the hospital sick I would find myself ''treating'' myself to those lovely coffee drinks that are like 800calories. Then with my mother in law moved in for me to care for I felt I needed a treat most days. I stressed and treated myself to a 40lb gain before I knew it.
  • dblosmith
    dblosmith Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am terrible with that. I eat because it makes me feel better. I love food and I was raised that having a "healthy appetite" was good. Ribs, doritos, cheesecake... Love it. lost 120lbs throughout 2011, but since the Holidays, I've gained 20lbs back because I fell into back into bad habits. Just started back this week. I can't go back. I CAN FINALLY FIT ON ROLLER COASTERS NOW! :)

6'4''
    Biggest: 365
    Current: 265
    Goal: ???
  • tessdel
    tessdel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I DO give in. The day gets so bad, and I am feeling so angry/upset and hopeless. I just give in and pig out on whatever I "think" will make me feel better. Actually, sometimes-- most of the time-- it DOES make me feel better. Then, the next morning when I get on the scale, and I see that I have GAINED three pounds, I feel like total crap! So, I walked an extra 15 minutes that night and I think about what I am trying to accomplish, and I get back on the program. I have to weigh myself EVERY day. It is the weeks that I don't get on the scale daily that I start gaining. And there are some days when I just give in and eat "bad" stuff. I may get down and roll in the gutter but I don't stay there for long!
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I need to stop eating out so darn much. It's much harder to track and the sodium is always through the roof. I got into the habit of eating out constantly and need to break it right NOW.
  • healthyMSk
    Options
    Your right about the sodium when eating out. The first few months of this year when I was so over whelmed with stuff we were eating out way too much. My husband will be called Domino's before I know it if I ask him what he wants for supper. I think that was what helped me put 40lbs on so fast. Not to mention what it does to the budget. I have been trying to make myself not eat out at any place that makes something that I can make at home
  • KittenKittyKitteh
    KittenKittyKitteh Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's a good rule to go by. Our rule is once every two weeks. Except maybe Subway sometimes.
  • duvessab
    Options
    I have every sympathy with, "it has been a terrible/good day so I deserve...." That I live with my Mum who is the same does not help and we end up "treating" ourselves to Macdonalds or some other awful food does not not help!

I noticed though that this week, when we had a treat, it was one chocolate cupcake - and I actually tasted it - I am not sure that when I binge I actually taste the food. That was a strange and new realisation! I have not however been on this diet when I am back at work, so that will be the next challenge...X