Hi! New to the group

Options
JanLeb
JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
Hi there :flowerforyou:

I happen to stumble upon this group when I was reading another post on the forums and I thought it sounds like a great group for me to join.

I guess I will start by telling you a little about myself

I am 47, married with 3 grown children, 2 step-daughters and 2 grandsons. I live in Canada and work full time for the Provincila Government, so way to much time at my desk during the day. I have been dealing with peri menopause symptoms for a couple years now, but within the past 6 months they have become more intense. Night sweats, trouble sleeping, mood swings, hot flashes (sometimes at the most awkward times):blushing: bloating, irregular cycle and on and on the list goes. I also have hypothyroidism and last February found I am gluten intolerant - so all this is making this effort to lose weight and become healthy more of a challenge than it was when I was younger.

I look forward to the support this group has to offer, getting to know you all and hopefully being about to offer support and advice as well.

Replies

• JanLeb
    JanLeb Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
  • BlueJean4114
    BlueJean4114 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!
    i am new here, too,
    and have heart valve problems which disallow any jumping movements, and restrict any activity which raise my heartrate too much,
    but,
    i keep reminding myself,
    90% of losing weight,
    is reducing calories,
    not from exercise.

Even a person in a coma,
    being tubefed,
    can lose weight.
    Even an immobile person,
    can lose weight.

cmvcO.png

We lose weight from not eating enough calories,
    and we get healthier and more fit from exercise.

One can exercise very vigorously,
    and still gain weight,
    and even gain fat to their body,
    IF they eat too many calories.

DO USE THE MFP food diary, to log all your calories, every single bite, condiments, drinks, everything. Seems to be helping me develop new habits,
    and doing this is making me aware of calories, of PORTIONS, and i am now, for the first time ever,
    even measuring some of my food sizes now!!
    And doing this is helping me sort out, what works for me,
    and what doesn't.

also,
    i feel hopeful,
    that once i DO lose weight,
    i will be better able to tolerate exercise.

GOOD LUCK!!! and you are not alone, there are others here, who won't be doing marathons or zumba, yet, i still think we can lose weight,
    and our chances of increasing our activity tolerance WILL happen!!!!
  • workshy000
    workshy000 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Greetings JanLeb,

Menopause is certainly not a day at the park! I've been having symptoms for at least a couple of years but I don't remember when exactly it started. I finally had it confirmed with a blood test and now am considering what option to take to remedy symptoms, if anything. So many conflicting messages I can't decide who or what to believe regarding HRT and bio-identical hormones.
    Exercise and eating healthy has been useful for my well being but as far as weight loss goes, it just ain't happening! :grumble:
  • Skudsister
    Skudsister Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am also brand new to both this group and to MFP. I also post on the WeightWatchers discussion boards and I have found the Menopause group to be the friendliest there too!

I am 47 and my menopause has been bought on (probably only a little early) by treatment for a spot of breast cancer bother last year. All sorted now (fingers crossed) but I'll be on Tamoxifen for another 4 1/2 years so the symptoms are pretty much guaranteed. I am married, no kids, and work in a University bookshop. I live in West Yorkshire (although I am a transplanted Southerner) so when I do get out walking I have beautiful country to look at. I enjoy reading, walking, gardening, painting and - I was surprised to discover - running. I run reading groups, co-ordinate a Friends of the Earth group and try to do Parkrun a couple of times a month. I'm sometimes surprised I have time to go to work...

Jane
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Welcome to our world! It seems we women get to deal with some sort of symptom our entire lives. I'm 53 and am medically "through" menopause (though I'm not sure anyone ever really gets through it!), but still have hot flashes. I'm on peroxidine to help with those - also take an herbal remedy my doctor okayed. I still get them anyway, but not as intense. There are many positives to this stage of life - no more periods, no more pregnancy scares, I have grandbabies - which is the BEST of all BESTS! However, weight did start to stick to my mid section like never before. I've been doing MFP since about March/April and have lost 17 pounds so far. It has really helped to watch what I eat and exercise regularly. I still have to suck in the old gut - will be doing that until the day I die, I imagine, but the rest of me is looking a lot better! :bigsmile: