LC Breakfast Alternatives to Eggs

Options
Anyone have suggestions for low-carb alternatives for breakfast? I typically do (1) egg & egg-whites with a side of turkey-bacon, but the eggs can get a little old. I'd love to hear any ideas on other options...

Thanks!

Replies

• jensedun
    jensedun Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I found this website with some great low carb recipes on it. One thing I like is that the woman rates the recipes according to how well she liked them, you know, 3 stars, 4 stars, etc. I haven't tried all of the recipes yet, but there are enough there that I have something to look forward to. One that I tried that I did like was a mock danish you make with cream cheese and eggs. She has a pancake recipe that she gave 5 stars to! I also didn't want recipes with a bunch of weird or hard to find ingredients and so far the most unusual ingredient is flax meal. She has muffin recipes and a lot of quiches recipes. If you are interested, the website is http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/recipes.html and is called Linda's Low Carb Menus and Recipes. Hope you find something you like!
  • jbella99
    jbella99 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Thanks.. That's awesome
  • ksutton30114
    ksutton30114 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Ditto! Thanks for the link!

I found so many good looking options and didn't see the stars at first. But that will help narrow down the choices in the beginning.

Nice find!!!!
  • dancerom
    dancerom Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    nice site. thank you!
  • TakinSexyBack
    TakinSexyBack Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Lindas recipes! I like how if she didnt like something, she makes notes on that too! She has some great ones.

Another site I LOVE is www.lowcarbfriends.com They have a HUGE recipe forum. I pull stuff off of there a lot. My fav so far is the "White Castle Cheeseburger Pie." YUM!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Bee_629
    Bee_629 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Lindas recipes! I like how if she didnt like something, she makes notes on that too! She has some great ones.

Another site I LOVE is www.lowcarbfriends.com They have a HUGE recipe forum. I pull stuff off of there a lot. My fav so far is the "White Castle Cheeseburger Pie." YUM!

I JUST saved that recipe the other day! I'm excited to make it. It's now been moved to the top of the groceries list!!
  • Bee_629
    Bee_629 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Actually I tend to get sick of eggs real quick if that's all I eat so I try and change it up too. Although right now I'm partial to them, mostly bc I found a super yummy Breakfast Casserole. I know you said no eggs but you gotta try it! I make a big pan of it and keep a couple slices at work and freeze the rest for the following week.

grease a 9x13 dish (I use 9x9 bc I like it denser)
    layer on bottom 2 lbs of crumbled cooked sausage (turkey/pork/full fat...whichever but I use the yummy pork!)
    1 block of crumbled softened cream cheese
    1/4 of a chopped onion
    jalepenos, chopped (altho I do mushrooms, I like veggies)
    both sprinkled over sausage/cream cheese
    12-15 beaten eggs with S&P to season-pour this over the whole dish evenly
    cover everything with 1 cup of shredded cheese

bake, uncovered, at 350F for 30-35 mins. 9x9 pan gives me 6 hardy slices at about 2 net carbs each (w/o my mushrooms though). This freezes well and reheats well. Delish AND super filling!

I also saved a recipe, I think from Linda's...for LC "cream of Wheat" made with ricotta. Haven't tried it yet but will be soon. I also migh make some LC muffins too for the days I do a lot of strength training when I can afford a few extra carbs.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Linda's recipe site is great. I have several that I use over and over. As far as breakfast, I routinely have non-traditional breakfast. It can be leftover dinner from the night before, deli meats rolled in cheese and mayo, even salad. Weird, I know. There's no rule that says breakfast has to be eggs!
  • sunryse00
    sunryse00 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a couple of none egg breakfast favorites that I thought I'd share.
    Minute muffin french toast. This is one of my favorites. I make the minute muffin in a small square dish. Cut it in half so you have to bread slice size pieces. Usually I just make half and save the other half for tomorrow's breakfast. I dip the slice in 1 egg and 1-2 TB of almond milk. Fry in butter and serve with SF syrup.

I use the second slice the next day to make "cereal". I crumble it up in a bowl, add 2 strawberries cut up, pour almond milk over it with a sprinkle of Splenda. Yummy.

I also make another "cereal" using 1 Dannon Light & Fit Carb Control Yogurt. 1t sunflower seeds, 1t chopped pecans, 1t milled flax seed, 2 strawberries.

Pancakes using the http://lowcarbdiets.about.com recipe with almond flour. I use almond milk instead of water and serve with SF syrup.

I know I said no eggs but I thought I'd throw this in for good measure. My version of an Egg McMuffin. Make the minute muffin without cinnamon and slice in half. Fry 1 egg and break yoke , fry1 slice of ham at the same time (I fold it into fourths). 1 slice American cheese, melt half on ham and half on egg. Put between the two slices of minute muffin.

I love breakfast and am always looking for interesting ideas.
  • JessicaOnKeto
    JessicaOnKeto Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    -I make a psyllium husk bread that I then use to make PB & J sandwichs, french toast, toast, breakfast sandwiches.
    Recipe:
    1 1/4 cup almond flour 1/4 cup unflavored protein powder, 5 tbsp psyllium husk, 1/2 shredded cheese(I used a Mexican taco blend), 2 tsp baking powder, pinch of salt, 2 eggs, 2/3 cup boiling water. Mix all ingredients except the eggs and water. Then add eggs, mix. Then add boiling water and mix until thick batter forms (this takes me about 3 min of mixing) then shape into balls and place onto greased cookie sheet, flatten them out, bake at 375 for 18-20min or until edges are golden brown. *just a tip, when you form the dough balls, have a little bowl with oil to coat your hands in, since the dough is very sticky and hard to form without the oil

-I also saw a cream cheese pancake recipe:
    Ingredients:
    2 oz cream cheese
    2 eggs
    1 packet stevia (or any) sweetener
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    Instructions
    Put all ingredients in a blender or magic bullet. Blend until smooth. Let rest for 2 minutes so the bubbles can settle. Pour 1/4 of the batter into a hot pan greased with butter or pam spray. Cook for 2 minutes until golden, flip and cook 1 minute on the other side. Repeat with the rest of the batter. Serve with sugar free syrup (or any syrup of your choice) and fresh berries.
    Approx nutrition info per batch: 344 calories, 29g fat, 2.5g net carbs, 17g protein

-I also use carbquik from time to time to make their waffles or pancakes, with the recipe right out of the box with whipped cream and frozen berries on top :)

-If I'm in a rush, I heat up leftovers from dinner, or grab a meatball, cheese, pepperoni, avocado :)