skip synthriod before blood test?

sher80bear
sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
I am recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I started Synthriod 6 weeks ago and I have a blood test scheduled for next week to check my levels. Should I take the Synthriod first thing in the morning like normal or should I wait until after the blood draw? What impact would taking/skipping the Syntrhiod have on the test results? I usually take the Synthriod around 5 am and the blood draw is at 8 am.

Replies

• chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 847 Member
    Hi, my endocrinologist told me that I am not to take it in the morning prior to the blood test and that waiting until after the blood is drawn is not an issue. As a matter of fact, I went today for my bi-weekly labs and took it with me so once I got back in the car I took it.
  • sher80bear
    sher80bear Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks. Waiting until after the blood draw makes a lot of sense. I wasn't told to wait or take it. I think I will wait and bring the pill with me. I am still new to this and still trying to figure things out.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Interesting. I was told that Synthroid is one of those drugs that doesn't really have a daily peak/trough - that it gradually builds up in your system over time, and that skipping it before a blood test wouldn't do much of anything.
  • zestyzaftig
    zestyzaftig Posts: 103 Member
    I've always been told to not take my thyroid medication prior to a blood test. This has been the rule for the various brands I've been on, both synthetic and natural thyroid prescriptions.
  • My endo said it doesn't matter, with Synthriod or any T4. But with T3 (cytomel) he suggest 1 hour after the med.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    It doesn't matter with synthetic T4 - it has a long half-life so taking it or not taking it won't matter. With Armour, which has a short half life, my ND wants me to take it several hours before blood work, but not right before.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 2,951 Member
    interesting... i have never been told not to take it before blood work. I just had my levels taken today. I am going to ask next time i go...