push up help

Options
i'm on day 16 and i can now do "real" push-ups for the first half of all the workouts...then i have to switch to girlie push-ups, or else i'd literally not be able to do that part of the workout. i just lack upper body strength...hence doing insanity. lol.

do you all agree that this is the right thing to do?? or should i really try to do real push-ups the entire time, taking breaks when needed.

i'm afraid i'll get to month 2, which i've heard is pretty push-up heavy, and not be able to complete lots of the exercises.

thoughts??

thanks in advance!! :)

ps...i decided to really step it up for these last 2 weeks of month 1...keeping up with the people on the video, not taking breaks...phew. yesterday and today i feel like a wet noodle. i'm aware of every muscle in my body.

Replies

• jeolds
    jeolds Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you want to build any muscle you have to push it beyond what it can currently do. Basically what you are doing should work. Just know you may not be able to get all the way through this round, but any subsequent ones you can get there. The P90X videos do a lot of push ups too and they say on that one to do it until you can't maintain proper form. You are likely still maintaining form, just moving to a modified version.

Keep digging. It will get there. I have the same problems with pull ups which thankfully aren't in Insanity.
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    It sounds like what you're doing is working.
    You started out not being able to do a "real" pus-up, and now you're doing them.
    That's great! Keep it up! It means you're getting stronger.
    Just keep doing that into month two. Do what you can, dig a little deeper to do a little more, and then modify it to do what you can.
    The results will keep on coming and you'll definitely feel and see the difference as you keep going.
    Keep up the good work.
  • mat233
    mat233 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    i'm on day 16 and i can now do "real" push-ups for the first half of all the workouts...then i have to switch to girlie push-ups, or else i'd literally not be able to do that part of the workout. i just lack upper body strength...hence doing insanity. lol.

do you all agree that this is the right thing to do?? or should i really try to do real push-ups the entire time, taking breaks when needed.

i'm afraid i'll get to month 2, which i've heard is pretty push-up heavy, and not be able to complete lots of the exercises.

thoughts??

thanks in advance!! :)

Yes, do as many as you can until you start losing form, then switch to doing them on your knees. Keeping good form is very
    important to get the max benefit of the workout. Better to do 10 good ones than 20 sloppy ones. Keep doing what your doing. Hey, I go to my knees also after some of the drills to be able to finish and I have lots of upper body strength. Also I just start using the recovery drink after the workout and it really does help. Not as much soreness at all.
  • InsaneReidy
    Options
    Wet noodle I no that feeling! lol

Your exactly right in what your doing, pushing yourself but not to the point of breaking! Keep doing the standard press ups as long as u can then switch to ur girly ones. Ull find yourself being able 2do mor as u get stronger!

The girly ones count 2, ur still getting ur workout no worries there with this dvd!!!!!

Im on day 4 of insanity and god do my calves burn like hell!

Just keep to the calender and watch the results!

Keep it up!! :)
  • Shfiftyfive
    Options
    What do you do when you start to get to the obscure types of pushups (V Pushups, V Pushups with your leg raised in the air, etc.)? Kneeling pushups alone give me some challenge at my weight. The cardio and leg stuff looks doable, but the stuff where I have to support my bodyweight with my arms looks like it's going to suck. Do I just try to do the movement and then switch to a kneeling pushup?