Strength Training?

Options
sistatv
sistatv Posts: 53 Member
What kind of strength training, weight workouts are you guys doing? Do you use the machines, Free weights? Do you have a set schedule or do you just do whatever? What's worked? What was not as successful?

Replies

• Misspositiveme
    Misspositiveme Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I usually work on my arms and legs. I have an app I like to use on my phone called Workout Trainer. Plus I have free weights, use the machine at the gym and Jillian michaels DVDs. My strength training is mostly mix in with my cardio but when I'm super tired.. I do pullout and arm curls. At least I did something .. That's my excuse. :-)
  • breezey77
    breezey77 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm doing circuits for strenght, like Jillian Michaels or I'll do my own sets of squats, lunges, crunches and various arm exercises using hand weights. The gym would be awesome but I don't want to spend the extra time away from home at this point.
  • marianne_s
    marianne_s Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I did a round (12 weeks) of ChaLean Extreme over the summer, and I thought it was excellent.

I lost 7 inches after the 1st 4 weeks... 3 of this from my waist.

I took a break from it, so I could follow the Turbo Fire (which I now don't even do because I don't actually like set schedules and prefer flexibility...)

But I do think weight-lifting gets results, cuz I think parts of my body is actually smaller than the last time I was at this weight.

So I will definitely be adding CLX back into my schedule soon.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I changed it up a little today. I incorporated a kettlebell workout as stregnth training. It also gave great cardio. I loook forward to doing it again tomorrow but I took a workout off of hulul.com and added kettlebell.
  • MrsRAW712
    MrsRAW712 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I too started using a kettlebell and I love it! I just started this week doing a little big daily but I can already feel the difference.
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I use weights all the time!! I love them! I use free weights and rarely do the machines, I just started doing the NEW RULES OF WEIGHT LIFTING FOR WOMEN which I must say I love!! Even for a verteran lifter like me it was challenging.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Using various dvds at least 3x a week. Free weights only
    Jillians no more trouble zones is good for total body but its kinda long
    Jackie Warner Power circuit training is great and has 15 segments for legs arms and abs if you cant commit to the entire video
    jari love has a good line of videos too

Hope this helps!
  • marianne_s
    Options
    I started my 2nd round of ChaLean Extreme (CLX) on 30/11/2011

Here are the exercises from Phase 1 (BURN) & the weights I lift in each hand:

BURN CIRCUIT 1
    Sumo Squat w/ Hip Lift - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Lunge w/ Posterior Fly - 3.75kg / 8.25 lbs
    Push-up w/ Leg Lift - 6 Full & 6 Half
    Dead Lift w/ Posterior Fly - 3.75kg / 8.25 lbs
    Lunge w/ Core Rotation - 17.5kg / 38.5 lbs
    Bench Press & Leg Lower - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Squat w/ Side Bend - 10kg / 22 lbs
    Forward Lean Lunge w/ Posterior Fly - 3 kg / 6.6 lbs
    Chest Fly w/ Hip Lift - 7.5kg / 16.5 lbs

BURN CIRCUIT 2
    Sumo Squat w/ Biceps Curl - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Lunge w/ One Arm Triceps Extension - 5kg / 11 lbs
    Dead Lift Row - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Sumo Squat w/ Overhead Triceps Extension - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Dead Lift w/ Reverse Double Row - 8.75kg /19.25 lbs
    Bowler's Lunge w/ Single Arm Row - 8.75kg / 19.25 lbs
    Bicep Curl w/ Abductor Balance - 6.25kg / 13.75 lbs
    Forward Lean Lunge w/ Double Row - 7.5kg / 16.5 lbs
    Triple Threat Push-Ups - only 9 (terrible!)

BURN CIRCUIT 3
    Sumo Squat w/ Overhead Press - 6.25kg / 13.75 lbs
    Lunge w/ Calf Raise - 10kg / 22 lbs
    Squat w/ Lateral Raise - 5kg / 11 lbs
    Lunge w/ Frontal Press - 5kg / 11 lbs
    Squat w/ Calf Raise - 10kg / 22 lbs
    Sumo Squat w/ Delt Raise - 3.75kg / 8.25 lbs
    Squat w/ Double Overhead Press - 6.25kg / 13.75 lbs
    Lunge w/ Lateral Raise - 3.75kg / 6.6 lbs
    Sumo Squat w/ Calf Raise - 10kg / 22 lbs
  • abfit4life
    abfit4life Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just reading your program is both intimidating and extremely impressive. Wow! So what's the "for dummies" program? That's kinda more my speed right now.

7838983.png
  • PINKSPARKLEQUEEN1965
    Options
    I strength train 3 times a week.. I use about 11 different machine a trainer told me its good to mix it up
  • marianne_s
    Options
    Just reading your program is both intimidating and extremely impressive. Wow! So what's the "for dummies" program? That's kinda more my speed right now.

7838983.png

That's the beauty of ChaLean Extreme.... I was a heavy weight lifting newbie when I first started the program.
    That's why I recommend working out with CLX, where you get instruction on the correct form and what 'lifting to failure' actually means. You don't have to lift heavy weights to begin with - you start with a weight that you can manage and increase the weight as you go along.

The exercises I listed above are from the 1st phase only - each circuit is done with a rest day in between for 4 weeks

There are 2 more phases, which also have 3 circuits.
  • jcnjsgurl
    jcnjsgurl Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    If you are the ultimate beginner for strength training, I recommend Power 90 dvd by Tony Horton. Okay...I know this is bad because I have not completed a round. However, since I didn't know where to begin because I am a non-exerciser this was good. You can use weights or resistance bands. I got as far as approx 30 days before life happened and had to stop.

Production value is kind of low, but it is a straight forward program to start with. Some complain its boring, but the 30 min flies by for me. Within the 30 days I noticed my arms seemed less flabby and I was kicking out pushups quicker than the folks on the dvd. I am going to start with it again...next week.
  • taradele72
    Options
    I just started doing Kettlebell workout (KettleWorx video) with a 10 pound kettelbell. I know that does not seem like much weight, but let me tell you....MY LEGS ARE KILLING ME after just one workout. I have to get back in there and do it again tomorrow (because I opted to do other forms of workouts yesterday and today, however, it promises to create a difference in your entire body within 6 weeks if I keep it up. I have to say that I LOVE IT and HATE IT at the same time. LOL!

I will continue til I see some reshaping in my butt, thighs and core (especially my back, resulting in more strength and less lower back pain). I don't log it in as strength training though, because it is MUCH MUCH more than that. My heart rate was WAY up and it is very much a cardio workout :)
  • LovelyLibra79
    LovelyLibra79 Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I do free weights..but currently im into circuit training with Jillian Michaels 30 day shred.
  • fashionista954
    fashionista954 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I strength train about 3 times a week and work on altermate muscle groups each time. I find that I enjoy my workouts more when I mix things up so therefore I use a combination of free weights, weight machines, and strength training using my own weight. In the beginning I would dred strength training but in just a few weeks I am seeing results so that pushes me quite a bit.
  • itsmskimmichelle
    itsmskimmichelle Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't strength train @ the moment but I'm going to do Jillian Michaels DVDs.
  • lulola954
    lulola954 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I do P90X as my strength training.
  • Cabrinii
    Cabrinii Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I do strength training 3 times a day. I use my home gym which I regularly do sit-ups. I have weights that I usually use. I also have videocassettes that have weightlifting programs which I recorded on tv years ago. It's a good way to tone and build muscles.