Other intolerances that have surfaced since gluten free

Options
lesliev523
lesliev523 Posts: 368 Member
Ever since my diagnosis, and cutting out gluten completely, I have noticed other intolerances that I have never noticed before.

Corn.... goodbye corn chips and corn tortilla's.... so sad about this. I am assuming no more popcorn either

GF breads.... holy cow, I was sick for two days after having GF pizza. And of course I had to try it again.... it was worse than before.

And now I think I am becoming sensitive to red meat.... I had it a couple weeks ago, with no noticeable effect. Then I had it over this past weekend and was horribly sick to my stomach within 30 minutes of eating it....

Anyone else have this happen?

Replies

• lsgmsu1
    lsgmsu1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I notice corn grains, like tortilla chips. I had a lot of corn flour on a vacation and was sick for a week after.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    Yes indeed. Seems like I am always finding something I cannot tolerate. The latest is an additive in some commercial cooking oil used by some restaurants to reduce smoking at higher heating points (can't remember the initials for it). Also nitrates, MSG, artificial sweeteners, many food coloring/flavoring agents. It's a minefield for some people isn't it?
  • rf169606
    rf169606 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Mine was lactose. Milk made me violently ill for a while. I can now have it in SMALL amounts, but I'm mostly an almond milk girl now.
  • lesliev523
    Options
    I wonder if this has something to do with the fact that our intestines are healing, so now we are noticing things that may have always been a problem. Kind of like going over a bumpy road doesn't really bother you.... but then you hit a smooth spot and enjoy it... then when the bumps come back they are so much more annoying and noticeable....
  • Dress4Dolly
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is, but I have noticed it too. No chemicals for me (aspartame, MSG, etc). After growing up on Peanut Butter, for some odd reason now I cannot eat it. Allergic reactions to eggs...my list just keeps getting bigger. BUT, I have found ways to work around it all in my kitchen.

Good idea to keep a journal, maybe the food diary notes section, and remember to take to the doctor with you. It's so weird that first it was Hashimoto's, then Celiac, now more food allergies....I know it is all related but sometimes hard to keep it all straight.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! You just described my gluten free journey!!!! I thought gluten free was going to be easy. I immediately began feeling better, symptoms began disappearing. The bam! Corn reaction. Later it was soy. Then dairy. Also cocoa.

I have read an explanation of this, much like you thought. The reactions in our body were masked by the other issues.

There are those who have stated, after intestines healed (a year or two) they were able to add back bits of corn occasionally without reaction. (I don't know how someone would get brave enough to do that, since my reactions are so horrid.) But many have tried it and still reacted. Its varies with the person.
    I have read every reaction we have sets our healing back by months. :(

Be ever so careful with what you consume. I have been blindsided by reactions to pills and supplements. I found Vit C made from palm, not corn. I can't find a Vit E source that I can verify is not corn or soy.

I agree with the food journal. Log every thing you put in your mouth, including pills. Log each day how you feel. This helps you trace the hidden sources of contamination so much more easily!!!!

A few hidden sources of corn: the 'pad' in the bottom of meat to absorb juice. It contains cornstarch and can contaminate the meat.. Fish is soaked in corn based citric acid. It may not be labeled such. You cannot wash it off.
    Iodized salt. Iodine is corn based.
    Unless granulated sugar states its cane or beet, the source is likely corn.
    Alcohol in flavorings, like vanilla extract, is likely corn based.

The surprises are hiding everywhere.......
  • lesliev523
    Options
    It makes me afraid to eat anything because I am worried I am going to feel sick the rest of the day;.... I hate it.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I sure understand! I went through that also. I am a person who fears nothing, and I suddenly found a fear!!!!!

I learned to overcome it. My way is....
    *never eat a suspicious food. That for me was fresh cut fruit from the veggies section of the store. I reacted to unmarked pre-cut watermelon (it must have been sprayed with citric acid for freshness). So now, I buy whole fruits and peel myself.
    I go to a meat market that does not use foam/plastic wrap/moisture pads on the meat. It has the meat laying open in a cooler, you pick what you want and they wrap it in paper for you.
    *I only eat food I prepare. That way I know the ingredients were picked by me!
    *Do a lot of homework. Read websites that explain the hidden corn sources, and their names. Products that have been checked out with the company to insure purity. Some sites even report products people have reported reactions to. (people really have done a lot of the work for us)
    *Do NOT eat anything you haven't read the ingredients list carefully. Its best to get the freshest food possible, and stick with that.

You will always be cautious, I think we have to be. But wow, our health is worth the diligence!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    s fine with just the gluten until my first pregnancy which then came intolerant to dairy - thought it was severe morning sickness. Then soya and egg. Now there are still things that I react too and trying to work out what.
  • staceybrewer
    staceybrewer Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    All grains have gluten. It might be a different genome of gluten, but true gluten free diets must cut out ALL grains including corn. The FDA allows products to be labeled gluten-free even if they have rice or corn in them. Scientifically speaking, this is an untrue label. The FDA only recognizes some of the genomes of gluten, not all.

So, I am not at all surprised that you are sensitive to corn.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    You can eat rice. It's grown in wet fields. I doubt you'll see a massive cross contamination. Also, it's the only one considered hypoallergenic per my allergist. But, you'll want to rinse the rice to clean it before cooking.

Did you verify that the gluten free crust had no corn? If you have a sensitivity to corn, you may have accidentally had some. There are crusts that use corn as an ingredient and they are labeled gluten free. Keep in mind, this may not be a gluten issue - you could have an allergy too.

Also, have you had an allergy testing? If possible, get allergy tested.

Also, quinoa - they've had some studies that indicate it may NOT be safe for celiacs. If you've had a cereal that said GF but had Quinoa in it - you could be experiencing a reaction to that one.

I avoid Spelt, Quinoa, Wheat, Corn (cheat once in a blue moon), and rye grains. They do sell gluten free Oatmeal (must check packaging). I know that Bob Mill's makes one that supposedly is grown in only fields that have Oatmeal with no exposure and it's tested and packed in a gluten free factory. You can get that for oatmeal if necessary.

You can have Buckwheat, Tapioca, Rice - basically the ones that are bean based. I wouldn't panic just yet. I would however stop all dairy and egg. Basically, the stuff that has the highest chances of causing problems for a week or so to let your system settle than slowly add one at a time to see how your body reacts.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    Oh, I forgot. You're keeping a food diary here. I would definitely print it off and make sure you write comments on days where you feel off. If you track it, you may figure out what's causing the problem. If possible, try to have different foods in a cycle. That might help you identify the culprit. If you have the quinoa product only on Thursdays BUT you also have peanut butter on the same day - it could be one or the other.
  • kadera37
    Options
    Not that this is a good problem to have, but forums like this remind me that I'm not alone, and I am very thankful for that.

After 5-6 years of chronic health problems starting when I was only 24, I tried going GF out of pure & utter desperation. It has proven to be an absolute GODSEND. Energy, fatigue, migraines, sleep disturbance, skin rashes, menstrual irregularity, abdominal pain, muscle pain & knotting previously attributed to Fibromyalgia, and monstrous (even suicidal) depression all got better inside of the first 6 weeks of the diet and have since continued to improve. I was tested for Lupus, RA, vitamin deficiencies (some of which I had severe deficiencies in, but no smoking gun) and honestly a whole host of other disorders that were all a wild goose chase. I even had endoscopy & colonoscopy to rule out cancers when I was 28. OK...so that's my story so far. :)

About 12 months after going GF, I noticed some other issues creeping up. Six months later, I now am still 100% GF (even skin contact affects me) and I also avoid Dairy, Soy, Oats, Corn, and Potatoes 99% of the time. I have found that I can have one or two of those about once every 4-5 days without too much adverse affects but they come with a small price to pay so I avoid them in daily life and only indulge when social circumstances warrant it. At this point the only grains I even bother with anymore are rice and quinoa, and even those are extremely infrequently. Restaurants (rarely) and family get-togethers are really the only exceptions to these five (gluten is an absolute no-no for me) and I am back to being absolutely ecstatic about how I feel. All were confirmed by the allergist as not being allergies, though I react so severely to gluten I have no qualms about referring to it as an allergy in restaurants (I think you get a little more attention with the word "allergy" than simply "sensitivity" but that's just me).

I have found that the biggest difference in how I feel has been to cook all of my own meals with real food - nothing pre-processed. This can get expensive, and time consuming, but well worth it in my opinion. The most processed food I have on a regular basis is fresh salsa but that's about it. It takes time, but it is SOOOOO much better than going back to the way I used to feel. The only thing that has worked for me is to eliminate foods one by one until I'm happy with how I feel and then play the process of elimination game. Also, I've noted on some of the secondary intolerances, I've found that sometimes it takes more than 24 hours for the effects to be fully felt when first eliminating them, so just keep that in mind and truly eliminate things for at least a week before you come to any conclusions one way or the other.

Lastly, I would suggest (if you haven't already) eliminating glutenous topical products like hair, skin, and makeup products. I didn't develop a sensitivity to topical products until about 6 months after the GF diet. Now for me, it isn't nearly as bad as ingesting it, but it is far worse than any of my other sensitivities. And there are a lot of newly available GF companies out there like L'bri & Afterglow that are totally safe.
  • Maintain4Life
    Options
    I developed full blow allergies to eggs and dairy. And most recently figs...which are high in latex. So, now I need to get checked for latex allergy. Even though I've been GF for three years, I'm developing new allergies all the time.
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    No grains, meat, dairy, almonds, walnuts, dates, raw pineapple, raw green beans (some of these were before going gluten-free)

Have to be careful of strawberries, tropical fruits, chocolate, raw verggies
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,167 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm old but I finally remembered what has been causing me loads of problems of late.

Tertiary Butylhydroquinone, or TBHQ

And it's difficult in many cases to know it's an ingredient. I know it causes me horrendous, immediate pain and multiple trips to the rest room.

I'm also glad someone mentioned topical products. My doctor said I was crazy, that lipstick, shampoo and other items could not possibly cause a problem. Yeah well he doesn't have to live with the problems. I've revamped everything I use.

The hunt continues. Wishing all the best for you. Thanks for sharing.......
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I've been told (sorry, I don't have any studies for you) that gluten molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin and cause an autoimmune (celiac) reaction.

However, an allergy to one of the proteins in wheat - or another ingredient in your cosmetics - can definitely cause a reaction on your skin. I know I react to almonds just on touch, and have had shampoos or deodorants cause painful red rashes.

And of course there is nothing to stop you from having both celiac disease and an allergy to wheat.
    I'm also glad someone mentioned topical products. My doctor said I was crazy, that lipstick, shampoo and other items could not possibly cause a problem. Yeah well he doesn't have to live with the problems. I've revamped everything I use.
  • kajpen
    kajpen Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I found out I was gluten sensitive about a year ago, I carry the genetic marker for celiac, but never went through with the biopsy to confirm Celiac, because after seeing how my body reacts to gluten after a year of being gluten free, I don't need the test to KNOW I am. :-)

Over time, I've found that I can't tolerate any grains... especially corn. And I'm extremely sensitive to quinoa too. So, no grains at all for me. Occasionally I will have gluten free oatmeal or rice, but that is very rare.

I'm sensitive to soft cheeses, yogurt, and milk... but hard cheeses and cottage cheese don't bother me.

I'm just now noticing that I'm getting sensitive to almonds. If I eat too many I get tummy aches.

It's a process and sometimes it's extremely frustrating, but I don't regret any of it! :-) I'm healthier and feel better than I ever have. I have energy! My tummy distress (in all of it's ugly forms) is gone. My skin is clear, no more headaches, no more mental fog... all huge pluses!
  • kadera37
    Options
    I've been told (sorry, I don't have any studies for you) that gluten molecules are too large to be absorbed through the skin and cause an autoimmune (celiac) reaction.

However, an allergy to one of the proteins in wheat - or another ingredient in your cosmetics - can definitely cause a reaction on your skin. I know I react to almonds just on touch, and have had shampoos or deodorants cause painful red rashes.

And of course there is nothing to stop you from having both celiac disease and an allergy to wheat.

In my humble opinion, the idea that you can't absorb gluten through the skin is a very closed-minded view. Can your skin absorb water? How about toxic chemicals through the skin? How about topical medications and lotions? Skin is not an iron-clad barrier...it is a porous barrier and should be considered as such.

It's true that not everyone has this level of sensitivity, but some people do. Like I mentioned I was doing great with just a GF diet and then started backsliding and eventually eliminations confirmed it. Everyone has to determine that for themselves but if nothing else seems obvious it's definitely worth looking into.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    In my humble opinion, the idea that you can't absorb gluten through the skin is a very closed-minded view. Can your skin absorb water? How about toxic chemicals through the skin? How about topical medications and lotions? Skin is not an iron-clad barrier...it is a porous barrier and should be considered as such.

I can guarantee that you can easily have contact allergies. I've had them for over 30 years. There are tons of things in this world that an accidental touch can send my skin into a massive allergic reaction. I'm petrified of any type of cut grass. If they mow the lawn, I try not to go outside. I had a horrible experience as a teen when I went to help my parents by mowing the lawn. My legs were raw for two weeks. My dad forbid me from mowing the lawn. I also have to be careful as some chemicals, creams and other things will set off my skin rashes. I've never tested the contact allergy for wheat but I'm now gluten free so I don't think I plan on messing around with it. Granted, everyone's reactions are different. Some may react only to getting something internally - it seems like everyone is on their own journey to discover what they can and can't eat.

By the way, do not try the gluten free steak at Olive Garden. I tried it today and my stomach feels like it's on fire. Basically, I feel awful. I suspect there definitely was some gluten cross contamination. My friends wanted to eat there so I saw they had a gluten free menu but if the kitchen staff doesn't know what they are doing - they can really mess you up. From now on, I'm only going to eat at Outback. Food was good and no reaction. I felt great afterwards. They make a killer steak. :)