PLEASE remind me that this is normal...

Options
rr85114
rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
SIGH. Okay so this week has been my first week of doing proper heavy lifting. I've been doing mainly body weight training up until now, but yesterday in particular, I went all out and pushed myself. I got in an amazing workout - it really felt like a challenge and I have this crazy feeling all over my muscles today. I can't really explain it. It's like all of my muscles are hot and 'buzzing' almost.

Anyway, that's beside the point. I *feel* good, my muscles feel really worked, and my measurements are essentially the same.

But I woke up to a lovely 1 KG weight gain. Okay so I'm a (recently) reformed daily weigher - and by that I mean, I still weigh daily, but I'm usually very detached about the number on the scale. It doesn't make or break my day like it used to, but I have to confess that I was shocked to see 79.9kg again (thank goodness it didn't go legit into the 80s because then I think I might be a little *less* detached).

Can you please remind me why and how this is okay?! It's normal to retain craploads of water the day after a heavy lifting session....

...... right??? :ohwell:

Replies

• LuluProteinFueled
    LuluProteinFueled Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. I don't weigh, but my muscles puff up straight away after a lifting session (I look puffy, not good lol) and apparently that is because they get a big blood rush to them. The day after lifting I've read that you retain heaps (HEAPS) of water while your muscles are repairing.

I've even read (from Kiki or Lucia I think) that if you're lifting regularly, you're constantly retaining water and only a good week's break from training will shed this.

This is why I don't weigh lol. It messes with your head too much!! Fight the attachment!!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Yep absolutely normal. When you've worked your muscles hard they retain glycogen ready for the next time they're used, and the glycogen in the muscles also holds three times its own weight in water, so weight gain the day after lifting is perfectly normal and means you've been doing something right :)

Consider yourself reminded :)
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely normal. You have done a great job with your weights, seems!

Keep up the great work and don't let the number on the scale bother you!
  • rr85114
    rr85114 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    You ladies are the best! Thank you. Freak out over :)