Tingle Toes

Options
gavians
gavians Posts: 72 Member
I just made a huge investment in an Octane 47ci Elliptical. But I have a problem, after about 20 minutes my toes start tingling and going numb. I have pretty new sneakers and they are the identical model that I have bought several times over the years and found them really comfortable. They are a bit loose in the toe so I tried tightening them. Still tingling. To make matter worse, I have fibromyalgia so I am more suspetible to these types of pains hence why I need low impact cardio with an elliptical.

What do I do? Has anyone else experienced numb toes on their elliptical? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Replies

• Teksavvy
    Teksavvy Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I don't wear shoes at all on my elliptical. My wife and I use thick athletic socks. Since it's just our family, the foot pads never get dirty. We haven't had a problem with foot traction either.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    It happens to me from time to time. I just keep working through it and it usually takes care of itself.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have that happen too. I thought it was just me or the way I was standing with most of my weight forward on the balls of my feet vs. balanced on my heels. I do plan on getting new shoes, but I don't know if it's really the shoes or if it's more posture/position.

ETA: I workout at the gym, so really don't have the option to not wear shoes.
  • HalloweenGirl7
    HalloweenGirl7 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me!
    I have the same problem.
    Only on the right foot.
    I did notice my foot slides a bit forward in my shoe on that foot and squishes my toe.
    I was gonna try a toe separator and tongue pad in the shoe.
    If that doesn't work I will buy new shoes.
    Let me know if you find out why this happens.
    Weird...
    PS: I have fibro too.
  • tiddlyjinx
    tiddlyjinx Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I have that happen to me too. I have asked a few others and same thing. I have tried different shoes, same issue.
  • kayleen_longworth
    kayleen_longworth Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I just read on MFP that tingle toes possibly is due to the shoes not being big/long enough. Like you should wear running shoes that are almost 1.5-2 sizes larger than ordinary dress shoes. Something about giving your foot/toes more room to extend and move, as well as swell during the exercise. Not sure how I feel about this, but it seems like it might be a possibility. I normally like my shoes to be just the right size, but maybe getting a size larger wouldn't be a bad idea. I normally don't have an issue while running, just on the elliptical.

It was in the post about getting new running shoes.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/475802-running-shoe-suggestions-needed
  • gavians
    gavians Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    My current shoes have ample toe room - too much if anything perhaps. I did try just using socks and no shoes but that didn't lost long because of the aggressive tread pattern on my machine -- it was hurting my feet in a different way! Last night I tired using these Crocs Rx that I have. They are really glorified slippers with a rubber sole and it seemed to work the best so far. I got a little "tingle toed" but not nearly as bad as before when I would feel it for hours after my workouts.

This is all very frustrating to me. When is this ever going to get easier? I run into some weird problem no matter what I do. Sucks getting old!
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    It happens to me too. I have that that when it happens I'm usually leaning forward on the machine putting too much weight on that part of the foot but if I make myself stay in a more upright position it goes away.
  • hope25
    hope25 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    One of my feet does this two if I go over 45 min.s or so.
  • ChelseaHamman
    ChelseaHamman Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well. Usually both feet. I always wear the same shoes and it doesn't happen all the time... which (after reading the fitsugar.com article, maybe it is how tight I tie my shoes... hmmm) It seems to be getting less frequent and only after longer period of exercise as time goes on.
  • MANdown_145
    Options
    i used to have that problem when i first started using my elliptical. I started raising my heel of my feet at different times or moving my feet forward and backwards to get the blood flowing. hope it helps
  • Drea_ann
    Drea_ann Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Mine do that too! I have heard the using Shapeups on the elliptical helps a ton, something about releaving pressure from certain parts of your foot.

I haven't tried that because if i keep going, it goes away. I usually run backwards for five minutes and i feel all better.
  • DLKeeble
    DLKeeble Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I just read about this on the net. There is a term for it, but I have forgotten. (sorry) It is from the foot being in the same position too long. It happens to my husband and myself. Keep moving your foot around during your workout. (front of the pedals to the rear of the pedals. Mine doesn't bother me too much until I reach about 40 minutes and if I up the resistance.
  • sunnyGinnaye
    Options
    that happened to me the first time on tuesday. tripped me out! glad I am not the only one!
  • runner289
    runner289 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am glad to learn I am not alone in this problem...kayleen_longw posted two article links that were informative...be sure your shoes are large enough and loss enough in the toes, don't stay on your toes for the work out and alternate between the elliptical and other forms of exercise. Thanks
  • sneekspeete
    Options
    I get it too. Also about 15-20 min in. I try and lift my legs and feet a little of the pads 2 get the blood circulating again, helps me! Good luck
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just me!
    I have the same problem.
    Only on the right foot.

Same as me,I thought I was the only one and it's on my right foot as well. I thought it might have been my new shoes but I tried my old shoes and same thing happened.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I get it too. Also about 15-20 min in. I try and lift my legs and feet a little of the pads 2 get the blood circulating again, helps me! Good luck

I get it about 15 mins into it.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    After about 20-25 min in I get the numbness I slow down and wiggle my toes like crazy helps quite a bit.