Paleo and teeth improvement?

Options
Fairysoul
Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
For those of you who have been paleo for a while.. do you see improvment with your teeth? I read somewhere that if you follow paleo strictly that your teeth will begin to heal... What do you think?

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    This is a change that will take time. My gums are no longer inflamed, which happened within a few months; however it wasn't until I learned more about the work of Dr. Price (including reading his book and articles of the website of Weston Price foundation) that my teeth have gradually been and contine to improve. I gauge this by sensitivity which used to be a real issue for me and now no longer; as well as how quickly plaque builds up (or doesn't); or the colour which is a long term thing.

Some notes I've made to myself thst you may find useful:
    Tartar noticeably increases if I eat sugar or sugary foods (including fruit)
    Glycerin in toothpaste impedes uptake of nutrients by teeth (I use a homemade paste of baking soda, coconut oil, clove oil)
    Have read it's important to create an environment inhospitable to bacteria; ensure it's alkaline: either brush with baking soda or rinse with baking soda & water
    I take a butter oil/cod liver oil supplement based on what I've read about the benefit

The reading this diet has lead to has been a revelation for me about lifelong dental and sinus issues--explains a lot about my jaw & bite, minor TMJ, and the lies or misguided info conventional dentistry has given me. Much like the nutritional info mainstream healthcare provides :-)
  • MrsAbles
    MrsAbles Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    That's very interesting, Zeromile. I have some reading to do. I've been experiencing sensitivity just this week for the first time. I thought maybe I'm being too vigorous with my water pik. And aging. I've been told baking soda is too abrasive to use often. Is that conventional wisdom bs?
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I read this:
    http://paleodietlifestyle.com/brush-your-teeth-the-paleo-way/
    The same website has a more in depth blog too, I just can't find it right now!
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I've got mild TMJ and if it can be helped in amy way by paleo, thats pretty exciting. I'm definitely going to try homemade tooth paste. I make my own homemade soap and I have no idea I never thought to try toothpaste!
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    @Sweet ... With respect to the TMJ, there's not much can be done structurally to the jaw once beyond childhood--facial bone and jaw structure develop in the womb and continue throughout childhood. That's why prenatal nutrition is important.

However, reading about this stuff explains my petite skeleton, and jaw that is too small for all adult teeth (had 4 taken out as a child and now learn they could have widened my jaw which would have created more space for sinus to develop more fully ... oh well ... bit of trivia: congenitally missing teeth--tooth does not form so cannot erupt--is one of the most common dental deformities)

The action of brushing is what cleans teeth and baking soda mostly creates the alkaline environment; one could theoretically brush with nothing. More important is flossing. Could then follow with baking soda mouthwash. If you go to Crest or Colgate website, neither states baking soda is bad or abrasive, but they recommend you use their baking soda brand because it has fluoride :-) Of more concern is vigorous brushing, brushing incorrectly so debris is brushed *into* the gum tooth pocket, or using a very stiff brush (hard on the gums as well).

The link between blood glucose and dental health is well established; oddly the conclusions are that gum disease and poor dental care raise the blood glucose instead of the cause being the other way around (wth?) There is some dispute about whether adult teeth continue to absorb nutrients once formed and in place and that cavities form because the tooth is bathed in acidic mouth environment rather than (in addition?) being weakened from the inside. To me it makes sense, because of the anatomy of the tooth, that it would continue to be nourished in a similar manner bones are http://www.curetoothdecay.com/Tooth_Decay/tooth_anatomy.htm

Regardless, the results of my own experience are enough to continue with a diet that keeps blood glucose low (for me, paleo), flossing, and brushing with a baking soda based paste.
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    This is a change that will take time. My gums are no longer inflamed, which happened within a few months; however it wasn't until I learned more about the work of Dr. Price (including reading his book and articles of the website of Weston Price foundation) that my teeth have gradually been and contine to improve. I gauge this by sensitivity which used to be a real issue for me and now no longer; as well as how quickly plaque builds up (or doesn't); or the colour which is a long term thing.

Some notes I've made to myself thst you may find useful:
    Tartar noticeably increases if I eat sugar or sugary foods (including fruit)
    Glycerin in toothpaste impedes uptake of nutrients by teeth (I use a homemade paste of baking soda, coconut oil, clove oil)
    Have read it's important to create an environment inhospitable to bacteria; ensure it's alkaline: either brush with baking soda or rinse with baking soda & water
    I take a butter oil/cod liver oil supplement based on what I've read about the benefit

The reading this diet has lead to has been a revelation for me about lifelong dental and sinus issues--explains a lot about my jaw & bite, minor TMJ, and the lies or misguided info conventional dentistry has given me. Much like the nutritional info mainstream healthcare provides :-)

Wow, I'm going to look this up! Thanks!
  • tsavisky
    tsavisky Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Very interesting! I've got mild TMJ and if it can be helped in amy way by paleo, thats pretty exciting. I'm definitely going to try homemade tooth paste. I make my own homemade soap and I have no idea I never thought to try toothpaste!

I just bought this toothpaste called Earth Paste, there are like 5 ingredients, it's brown, no weird stuff. It's pretty cool.
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I am interested to see what happens while following paleo.
  • twaltemade
    twaltemade Posts: 68 Member
    Options

My dentist was able to fix my TMJ. Did a series of sessions where they use electrodes to ighten and relax the muscles of the jaw. Once it was loosened up, built a mouthpiece to hold the jaw in the "relaxed" position. Solved it or me...5 years ago, no more pain and I still wear the mouthpiece every night.

Dont know if it helps, but he is a member of the Las Vegas Institute...could be a technique that they teach.

http://www.lviglobal.com/
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to have good teeth genetically, but I definitely had some jaw deformity while young and my lower jaw isn't fully developed. Of course, I look totally "normal" by today's standards. Teeth and bone health have everything to do with a paleo diet. I think it's well established by the research of Dr. Weston Price. Of course, I've had vegans jump all over me about how old the research is but I argue that it is completely relevant since it is still comparing a grain based "modern" diet (one not even as bad as what is the norm today!) with a natural aboriginal diet. Not only was there no tooth decay and bone deformity, there was NO disease. I live with Inuit people who are just in the process of switching from mostly natural foods to a "healthy" diet dominated by grains and vegetable oils. It's not pretty (understatement of the century).
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options

My dentist was able to fix my TMJ. Did a series of sessions where they use electrodes to ighten and relax the muscles of the jaw. Once it was loosened up, built a mouthpiece to hold the jaw in the "relaxed" position. Solved it or me...5 years ago, no more pain and I still wear the mouthpiece every night.

Dont know if it helps, but he is a member of the Las Vegas Institute...could be a technique that they teach.

http://www.lviglobal.com/

I'll look into that, thank you! I really only get pain in winter when it's very cold, though my jaw occasionally makes some attractive popping noises. My uncle had it and they broke his jaw and wired it shut until it healed into a "correct" position... Eeeep! I do have a little electrode device that can be used for TMJ according to the info that came with it, but haven't tried it (I use it to loosen back muscles)
  • Fairysoul
    Options
    I'm lucky to have good teeth genetically, but I definitely had some jaw deformity while young and my lower jaw isn't fully developed. Of course, I look totally "normal" by today's standards. Teeth and bone health have everything to do with a paleo diet. I think it's well established by the research of Dr. Weston Price. Of course, I've had vegans jump all over me about how old the research is but I argue that it is completely relevant since it is still comparing a grain based "modern" diet (one not even as bad as what is the norm today!) with a natural aboriginal diet. Not only was there no tooth decay and bone deformity, there was NO disease. I live with Inuit people who are just in the process of switching from mostly natural foods to a "healthy" diet dominated by grains and vegetable oils. It's not pretty (understatement of the century).
    LIKE!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I've been on it 2+ years and have seen improvements and the last two dentist visits went very well too. Usually they get on me for not flossing and comment on my gums but they were very positive the last couple times I went.
  • allyjoy83
    allyjoy83 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Honestly, how my teeth felt was one of the first things I noticed going paleo. My teeth feel soooooo much cleaner, and my gums are doing wonderfully (gum disease runs in the family, and mine were starting to become subject to it). I haven't been to the dentist since I started, but I have a sneaking suspicion that everything is going to be peachy. I think, and I do not know, that it has something to do with the lack of (or lessening of) sugar on which plaque builds.