Completely new to this...advice/clarification needed! :)

Options
Hi everyone! I am starting New Rules this upcoming Tuesday. While I am not completely new to lifting, I've never exclusively done a lifting program like this, including some of the exercises. The lifting program my coach designed for us this summer (I play rugby) was position specific, four days of large group workouts (legs, arms, chest and shoulders, back and core). Our season is starting next week as well, and I want to incorporate New Rules in my routine. However, I'm completely confused about the schedule and what workouts to do. Can someone please explain it to a complete noob? :flowerforyou:

Also, what is the best way to find your weight? Do you find a max, and then take percentages to use for each set?

And calories...currently I'm at 1795 (180 lbs, 19, 5'3"). I have practice 3x a week, will be lifting twice a week, and have an 80 minute game on Saturdays. I configured my calories based on the formulas in the book, but is there a difference between a "practice" and a "work out?" Should I be eating more?

Thank you for your time and advice, it's really appreciated!

Laura

Replies

• RunEloiseRun
    Options
    I'm not always clear on explaining things but I am going to give this a go!
    (lol)

The workouts are 8 As and 8 Bs for a total of sixteen. (in Stage 1)
    So you would do 1A, then 1B, then 2A, then 2B.
    I lifted 3x a week. (The book says no more than 3x a week but no less than 2x)
    Since you are doing so much already, I would recommend 2x and just add the 3x if you feel you can.

Finding your weight.....I went based off some of the lifting I did before. There were quite a few moves I had never done so I just picked the weight range I tend to be and tried to go based off of that. Personally, if you can do the full set of reps and not feel like you are going to die....then i'd try upping the weights for the next set. LOL. (But also don't make it too heavy and then actually kill yourself.)

As for calories....I used the Scooby calculator and the books calculator and tried to shoot for a 10% under maintenance. Only because NROLFW is no joke. and i'm ALWAYS hungry now. Even eating way more than I thought I should ever eat, I did see inches lost after Stage 1.

Hope that answers something, lol. Good luck and have fun!