no loss

Options
mantisladyx
mantisladyx Posts: 135 Member
I know I know and I understand it is day 38 for me doing Primal, I had my ups and downs with mistakes I made, but all in all stuck with it pretty good, so here I am stuck, can't see that I lost figure wise...(at the moment) I did in the first two weeks, but now my scale is not moving, instead it is going up, I have really been watching my carbs, so what else might I be doing wrong? 11 pounds is still a lot in 40 days and I am proud of it, but could I be at a stand-still already? Should I try a different diet? So many questions I know, but at the moment I need some encouragement.

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Hard to say because everyone is different. Your diary looks good (wtg!) so it may be a matter of time. Are you looking for a short term weight loss goal or a long term objective of good health accompanied by a steady weight loss and body reshaping? After a lifetime of eating your body has made adaptations that will take more than a month to unravel. Even now, over a year later I still notice changes.

There may be body changes that are not obvious, like losing inches in places like your back, legs, and arms, along with torso measurements. Give it time ... you didn't come to this place overnight :-)
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Stick with it! It's a long term lifestyle change, not a crash diet! It's about soooo much more than a figure on the scale. It's also about so much more than diet alone.

As Zeromilediet said, your body is going through so many changes at the moment, especially given your diabetes. For a while there my scale wasn't moving either but my pants were still getting looser. I tend to lose a far bit for a while, plateau for a while, then the weight comes off again in dribs and drabs. My body composition is what has changed the most recently, even though the scale hasn't moved as much.

Do you have any digestive problems or health issues besides the diabetes? I was only able to really start losing weight when my leaky gut and consequential casein intolerance was diagnosed by a nutritionist/naturopath, as my body was in a constant state of inflammation and I was just so darn lethargic and tired all the time.

These are a couple of great articles if you haven't read them already...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/weight-loss-plateau/#axzz23fiRHX6a
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/17-reasons-youre-not-losing-weight/#axzz23fjCvNP7
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/#axzz23fjzXyz5

I've sent through a friend request as well, good luck :smile:
  • PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I've also read in several places that women's bodies often take longer to adjust to the change in eating, so we don't always get that major drop of weight that the men can often get. 11 lbs in 4 weeks is outstanding! And I'm sure you feel very healthy and energized - why go back to the SAD where you feel sluggish and deprived?
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Part of the issue might be how fast you lost initially. Your body can't sustain that rate of loss, so perhaps it's taking a little break. Also, are you approaching your menstrual period? Or have you recently started a new exercise regimen? If you're retaining water, that will cause scale issues. Indigestion, irregular bowel movements, not drinking enough water, and sometimes even a lack of sleep can all affect the scale.

If you haven't already, I suggest taking your measurements. And some photos. Underwear or swimsuit preferably, or at least snug-fitting but not restrictive clothing like a tank top and leggings. Take measurements and photos once a month or so. Those will give you a better representation of your progress than the scale will.
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    Thank you so much for responding to me.....I have no intention of putting the wheat back in my diet, I do struggle with the lack of fruit, so today I ate some grapes and I was so happy to have some fruit. I will listen to your advice and I will take some pictures and look at my progress that way and I will most likely put the scale away.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.paleoforwomen.com/the-evolutionary-perspective-liberating-and-empowering-a-womans-self-hood/

Her words are powerful.
    I don't share all her beliefs (I enjoy fasting. Sometimes I need to so my always sensitive gut gets a break).
    And I have to stay very low carb. My blood sugars head up no matter the type of carb (the "safe" ones don't spike it as bad) and my Reactive Hypglycemia kicks back in.

Hang in there!!!
  • lintlin
    lintlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Aside from all the other great information you have been given, did you know that the body does weird stuff when it burns fat? Like replacing the burnt fat stores with water, that you then one day "pee out". This is what happens when you wake up and have a swoosh. I've had a swoosh of 2.5 pounds overnight once. Also try cycling your calories a bit, high-ish one day, low-ish the next so that your metabolism doesn't get lazy. Good luck!

Edited: fixed grammar mistake.
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    I'm still at no loss.....and actually gained.....so what to do, been to a wedding, but I had Ice cream Sunday, other then that I was good passed everything, and I by-passed the 10 pm food table they brought out....danced up a storm as well, so here I am, I just change my settings 10% Carbs 30% Protein and 60% Fat, I am hoping that will change things, I am trying to hang in there but it is getting frustrating to no end.
    Have I mentioned that no wheat of any kind for the last 46 days?
    I am reading the book Primal Blueprint and Paleo Diet by Loren, why is my body fighting me?
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I'd up the veg intake, it doesn't seem to be a big part of your diary and plant based things should be taking up way more room.
  • kylemdodge
    Options
    Here are some ideas to consider. This is from Mark's Daily Apple not from my limited knowledge of weight loss. Hope one of these ideas can help.

Break Through Your Weight Loss Plateau
    Pat yourself on the back: You’ve lost weight! Or, at least you had lost weight, but for the past few days or even weeks, the scale hasn’t been budging. You don’t feel like you’re doing anything different with your diet. You’re keeping carbs low, eating the appropriate amount of protein, and you’re moderating all of it with a consistent exercise program.

For most people attempting to lose weight, there comes a time when they reach that inevitable plateau where their motivation is soaring but they’ve stopped seeing results. If you’re nodding right now, don’t worry. What you’re experiencing is totally normal. Plateaus, whether they relate to weight, to your job, or your closest relationship, are a call to charge things up again, refine your strategies and keep moving forward.

So rather than give up and maintain your current weight, or worse yet, drown yours sorrows in a half dozen donuts, there are numerous actions you can take to reignite your program.

Here are our top 5 picks for breaking through your weight plateau:

Consider Intermittent Fasting
    Although Conventional Wisdom tells us that fasting forces the metabolism into slow motion causing your body to cling onto fat stores, recent scientific studies have suggested otherwise. According to an article in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, alternate day fasting may result in an improvement in insulin sensitivity and glucose uptake, as well as decreases in fat mass. While science is still unearthing the precise mechanisms for why and how this occurs, the previously-held idea that you have to eat six meals a day or more in order to keep your metabolism stoked to lose weight simply isn’t true.

Lucky for you, intermittent fasting (IF) can be done in a number of ways. From daily fasting, by only eating during a 5-hour time period, or setting aside one to three days a week to fast, the combinations are virtually endless. The important thing is to know is what kind of intermittent fasting technique will work best for you and your lifestyle, and this can only be determined by a little experimentation. As long as IF is done correctly, it can kick your body off of its weight plateau in just a matter of days. And keep in mind that IF is not about starving yourself. It’s about eating in a manner that mimics the natural irregularity of Grok’s eating patterns.

Write it Down
    A slice of bread here, a handful of tortilla chips there – it all adds up. When we start to lose weight, we might be inclined to loosen the reins on what we can eat. Even though occasional indulgences should be enjoyed guilt-free, when you’re still trying to lose weight, those seemingly benign snacks still count.

So for one week, write down everything that you eat. Everything. From the sugar packet you dropped into your coffee to the two bites of of Cherry Garcia you snuck from cousin Sal’s dessert bowl at your niece’s sweet 16, write it down. A food diary is an honest look into what you’re actually eating, not what you think you are eating.

Need more convincing that you might not be being honest with yourself? According to the American Journal of Preventive Medicine, those who kept a food diary in a 20-week study dropped double the weight of the dieters who did not chronicle their food choices. Keeping a food diary makes you accountable for what you eat because it forces you to consider your actions before you take them. This is an effective safeguard against mindless snacking or emotional eating.

If you’re looking for an online food journal, check out the one at FitDay.com. It’s free and super easy to use.

Side Note: The Primal Eating Plan is meant to be intuitive and easy. One of the great things about Primal eating is that you don’t have to count calories and track every bite of food you consume. This is why we only recommend the food diary as a temporary method to uncover any dietary indiscretions. Once you’ve honed in on and refined your behaviors we say ditch the journal and get on with eating Primal in a natural way that requires little to no effort.

Switch Up Your Workouts
    They say variety is the spice of life, and this holds true when it comes to your workouts. Without change you might find yourself dreading the monotony of regular gym sessions and simply lose motivation. Additionally, your body can become used to to the same caloric burn and muscle exertion as it becomes more efficient at completing regular movements. Give your brain and brawn the wake up call they need by shaking up your usual routine with some new additions.

Try increasing the speed as you exercise and do short bursts of intense exercises (such as sprinting) for one to two minutes followed by small rest periods. These short bursts of anaerobic activity will stimulate your body to release human growth hormone, which helps to burn fat while maintaining muscle mass.

If that doesn’t do the trick, try getting super Primal by ditching the gym, shoes, and structure for some free form activity. If this doesn’t keep things interesting we’re not sure what will.

Keep in mind that 80% of your body composition is a result of your diet. The remaining 20% is determined by how you effectively manage your sleeping patterns and stress levels, how you exercise and other lifestyle factors. Increasing your workout intensity is but one way to tweak an otherwise optimized weight loss plan.

Reduce Carbs
    Try reducing your carb intake to 50-100 grams per day to reduce insulin production and fire up your fat metabolism. Make sure that you’re eating enough protein for your weight (we suggest using the .7-1 gram per pound of lean body weight formula), eating the right vegetables and snacking on high-fat foods to keep you feeling satisfied.

Keep on Keeping on
    Remember that losing 10 lbs when you are starting at 300 isn’t nearly as difficult as losing 10 when you are approaching your ideal weight (say, going from 170 to 160 for a male). Don’t let this come to you as discouragement. Just recognize that changes might not come as quickly as they once had and resolve to stay the course.

Also, know that The Primal Blueprint lifestyle is about long term goals. Though you can lose weight quickly on the PB, keep your head straight and remember that the emphasis should always be on a healthy, Primal lifestyle – not a get-fit-quick routine. You can do it, but it may take time.

"Mark's Daily Apple"
  • monkeydharma
    monkeydharma Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    The body needs to take occasional breaks to adjust endocrine and hormone levels, etc. Continue to stay the course - as others have said, this is a way of life, a way of health - although you definitely can (and do) lose weight with it, you need to consider it in a much larger context than mere weight loss.

Another thing: even though you may not be losing weight at the moment, your body is still making changes. I was once at a plateau that lasted for almost 1.5 months - even though I did not lose (in fact, gained 2) weight, I still dropped a shirt and pants size.

Our bodies are wonderful machines, not merely a meat bag filled with water and fat. Once it learns a certain size, all of the body chemistry and processes will try to keep it there - give or take 20 pounds. It will try to move you back to the old weight, and - failing that - will take a time out to readjust to the new 'baseline'. So - you actually can expect a plateau every 20-30 pounds. It's a fact of life, so don't sweat it - continue to eat healthily, and it will eventually continue. :)
  • fitter2
    fitter2 Posts: 3
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the "plateau." I sometimes think the body just needs some time to rearrange some of the internal chemistry before losing weight again. For example, I was 208 for about 5 weeks from 225 that I had lost in the first 4 weeks. I thought that I had to change something and was getting worried. That said my vitals have improved unimaginably, my BP is 112/76 down from 140/90ish which fluctuated between stage I hypertension and pre-hypertensive. I can't wait to see my blood test. Well I'm down to 204, so I'm starting to lose weight again, but I think that patience is needed. You didn't get yourself where you are overnight, give your body time to adjust. Don't forget that you may swap muscle for fat. Just because the scale dial doesn't move doesn't mean nothing is happening.
  • KristysGonnaGetFit
    KristysGonnaGetFit Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just as the others have mentioned, this is about so much more than just a number on the scale. I have been Paleo for 2 1/2 months and haven't lost a single pound!! (well... maybe one, but still!) but have lost 10.5 inches in that time and dropped 1 , maybe 2, pant sizes! feel WAY better and countless other changes I have noticed. give it time and just keep doing it! -) You've had excellent weight loss so far, great job!
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    Thank you so much for each and every one of you and taking the time to respond......yes I know it is easy to give up, but I won't I will keep going, I am in it for the long haul. I am sorry for venting my frustrations, it is incredibly hard to keep going, and yes I know I have made mistakes like the Sunday on Saturday, but other then that I was doing pretty good, passing up all the goodies at the wedding buffet. I am reading labels and cleaning out my pantry, incredible when you find out the hidden wheat and sugar and corn starch and flour everywhere. I am using spices and only coconut oil and ghee and olive oil, and on occasion some butter. I have had a run in with the mayo tonight in my coleslaw, but I just did not have the time to make my own, but it will be a future endeavor I am thinking about going total paleo instead of primal, but I am not sure yet..... The other problem I have is the lack of meat, I can not get grass-fed in this area, even went to several Mennonite to try and find the meat......none of the butchers have it, so at the moment I am buying only lean meat. I am hoping that I will find someone in London when I go next week. Till then, I will stay off the scale so I won't get frustrated anymore.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    If you have a farmer's market often they sell drug free meat which usually means not raised in a feedlot; eating that meat lean will be suitable in the meantime but be sure to consume lots of healthy omega 3 fats like wild salmon oil (or quality cod liver oil). If you know someplace to get game meats, you're likely to get grass fed. hopefully you like fish--it's not full of omega 6 fats which our modern diet has too much of--that's why grass fed beef is superior: it provides almost as much omega 3s as wild caught salmon! The fat in grain fed beef is mostly omega 6 fat as is most of what we eat; we need the 3s. Her book is hard to get, but Susan Allport's book Queen of Fats is worth the read http://www.acresusa.com/toolbox/reprints/April08_Allport.pdf Read also the work of Dr. William Lands.

No time for mayo? hahaha! Watch this video http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/10/the-food-lab-homemade-mayo-in-2-minutes-or-le.html

You're doing great! It's tough not only undertaking a change in diet but a lifestyle change. And goodness knows, there are lots of peopke who will tell you eating ths way is or nutters. The only thing is, the results speak for themselves. My hubby, after over 15 months of seeing me eat this way and marvelling at the fat I eat and staying so slim is finally saying, "maybe I'll have eggs for breakfast" haha! Hard to live with someone who thinks you're a crazy nut but he's opening his mind. Once you wrap your own mind and resolve around eating this way, it will get easier. Just know there's a community of support here and all over the internet ... if you want a kick in the butt, to learn the why and how of something, or whatever ... we're here.
  • mantisladyx
    Options
    I thought I would update, I stuck with it and of the 5 pounds I gained back 4 are gone again........yeah progress, I increased my raw veggies and I also had a bit of fruit, but still trying to stay under 100 carbs a day and it seems to be working again. I am mostly doing IF until Lunch time every day with the exception of the weekend when hubby likes his bacon and eggs and I join him but usually I am never hungry till Lunch. I do have my bulletproof coffee in the morning not sure if that counts as having breakfast. So thanks again for all the support I received from each and every one of you and for helping me.......you make an awesome group to belong to.