First half on August 18th! Advice?

Options
babyblues31
babyblues31 Posts: 72 Member
Hi all! I am a week away from my first half marathon! I am really excited! I have been following the Hal Higdon Intermediate Half Marathon training program and feel I am ready. Just looking for advice or tips going into the last week and the day of. Thanks!

Replies

• cmh806
    cmh806 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depending on the weather in your area, do not go out to fast. Rest the day before for sure. Run slowly for about a mile if you feel the need the day before to keep stretched out. I was always told, nothing you do a week before a race will make any difference. Congrats on your first and good luck!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Do do anything on race day that you haven't done in training. Don't use a different sports drink, etc. Wear something you have worn in training.

Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.

Have fun!
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    1) do a slow warm up before the race starts. About an hour before, jog a mile and then do the bathroom, prep stuff.
    2) do a couple of short strides about 10-15 min before the race
    3) for the first 5 miles, hold yourself back from your goal pace.
    4) at 10 miles, just remember this is going to hurt, you can do it.
  • legallyblonde916
    legallyblonde916 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Do do anything on race day that you haven't done in training. Don't use a different sports drink, etc. Wear something you have worn in training.

Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.

Have fun!

This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.
    This.

:)
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Start slow, dont get caught in the moment......you will spike your heart rate and you will crash at the end. Save some for the last three miles, if you feel good at 11, push, if you feel good at 12.....push harder, give it all you got the last .10. If possible, set your watch to average pace....thats what matters and will keep you where you need to be. Best advise, have fun and enojoy the rush!!!

Dave
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.
    Don't go out too fast.

Have fun!

:laugh: This!

And rest up this week. Save your legs for the race.

Good luck!
  • s35keith
    s35keith Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it! You trained hard and you are ready! You should be very proud of your accomplishment. Now go and have fun!!
  • runningchick70
    runningchick70 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Believe in your training! You can do this! Don't do anything new this week. Try to get a good night's sleep a couple nights prior to your race because chances are you won't the night before. Keep your workouts low-key this week. On race day, don't go out too fast. And most of all, have fun! Good luck!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Carson beat me to the punch...
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    Carson beat me to the punch...

East Coast advantage. You never had a chance.
  • babyblues31
    Options
    Thank you for all of the advice!
  • babyblues31
    Options
    Especially those reminders to take it easy! Where I run it is very hilly so I am used to that, I think flatter surfaces tend to cause me to naturally go faster. I know that this course is no where near as hilly as where I run. Thanks again!
  • babyblues31
    Options
    What an AWESOME experience my first half marathon was!!! I will definitely be doing it again next year! I finished in 2:03:19 and my goal was 2:10 or better so yay! I was a bit bummed at the start because I registered back in February before I had done any races at all and guessed a finish time of 2:30+ so my corral was way too far back, the first couple of miles was crowded and I couldn't get around anyone, I was practically walking. I also had to stop to pee once which I didn't want to have to do, but I drank a ton of gatorade beforehand because in my long run training I felt I was low on hydration in the end. I guess it's better to feel good and have to stop to use the porta potty once than be sluggish and barely make it. The weather was perfect and everything was very well organized. Next year I will finish in under 2 hours!!! I felt that I could have because I felt good the entire race, but I wanted to keep it steady this time for sure. Thanks for all of the advice!
  • Usa9872001
    Usa9872001 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great for you! You totally smashed your goal...what an accomplishment!!!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    How did it go?!?