Feeling Feelings

Options
I thought I'd share my thoughts on feelings.

When I came back to OA the second time; I knew I would have to face a lot of issues and pain that I didn't want to deal with before. This disease is not just about the food it's more about why we eat or what we are running from.

In the beginning as I was getting abstinent and working the steps those feelings that I tried to avoid and ignore came back with a vengeance . Anger being the first. My first reaction use to be to lash out, yell, stomp my feet and throw a temper tantrum. I knew this wasn't the way so my favorite tool I use is writing. I write constantly. I learned to sit through that anger cause anger is a reaction to the more deeper feelings.

The next thing I did was cry. I cried all the time, I didn't even know what I was crying about, cause I couldn't label my feelings yet. I had to have a sheet a paper with all the emotions listed so I could figure out what I was feeling. I am grateful now for crying, before OA I stopped crying. I was so numb and dead inside, no feelings, good or bad, just dead. Feelings remind me that I am still alive and I'm a human being.

It's amazing what you will get out of the process of your feelings. You may write poems, songs, a book, paint etc.... I believe our creativity comes from feelings, emotions, and passions. And creativity comes from our Higher Power. When we are abstinent and aware of our feelings we are connected to our H.P.

At first you may feel like this is going to kill me. It's not the feelings that will kill you, it's what this disease will do if you don't deal with them. Feelings are like a river flowing through us and sometimes we want to put boulders in place to stop the flow, but like a river the feelings have to get around somehow. Find the blocks that stop your river and free the water and feel the river flow through you. Hang in there, this too shall pass and feelings will stabilize in time.

Replies

• pinksparklevapor1965
    Options
    :heart: I have 8 days down I have a lot of old feelings coming up I dont know why maybe because this running ot food started at age 5 Im not sure but I dont like to go in the past that stuff is water under the brigde.. what is important is today thanks for your support,. the phone meetings are really good .. and I have a 2nd counseling meeting tommorrow.. :drinker:
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    As I have worked the 12 steps in OA my feelings have come up as I have put down the food. This programme gives me the tools to understand those feelings and feel them without having to use food to stuff them down or manage them like I have my whole life. I find myself having a feeling and thinking I Have to do something about it when often I can just wait and it will pass. The miracle is I am having feelings and beginning to recognise them ie Oh Im anxious, sad, angry etc on the day instead of 3 days later when I used to explode.
  • Maddalen101
    Maddalen101 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I'm on the fourth day of my current abstinence. The tough feelings that push me to turn to sweets to self-medicate are not yet coming up, but I know they will, the longer my abstinence continues. I am grateful to have found the OA sector of MFP, as I will be able to share my experience, strength and hope, and through that, get through the feelings in a safe and supported way.
  • smh19692000
    smh19692000 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad that there is an OA group on this site. It continues to give me hope and inspiration for a future in recovery. Xx
  • motherfloyd
    Options
    thank you all for sharing, it's a we program and together we can, one day at a time :happy:
  • Lilflowr
    Lilflowr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This is my experience..feelings have a purpose in my life and as long as I am not making them the sole purpose I can be healthy, feel them and move on..just because I feel it "don't make it so" and giving a feeling more power than necessary has led me to relapse many, many times.

My strength is knowing that I can endure any feeling, that feelings don't kill and they are never as bad as I think they are going to be when trying to run from them.

My hope is that, through time and abstinence/sobriety I can make this "feeling of feelings" something that just comes, does what they are supposed to do and then move on....There is a hope ;o)
  • motherfloyd
    Options
    Yes feelings are not facts, they just are...

My strength is knowing that I can endure any feeling, that feelings don't kill and they are never as bad as I think they are going to be when trying to run from them. (good thought) !
  • julesoa
    julesoa Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I was listening to an OA podcast yesterday and I heard "Forgiveness isn't a feeling, it's a choice". Made me see it in a different way :smile: