Struggling....

Options
kvalmera
kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
I realized I haven't lost the desire for carbs. I got off work and hubby asked me to bring him home some McDonalds - the only thing open here after hours so I get him his usual 10 piece nugget, fries and a coke. OMG, I wanted some sooooooooo bad but I didn't give in. And now I am feeling like I am in the worse mood. 25 days of low carb, have not cheated once, with the exception of two tortilla chips and that's the only "no no" I've had since I started back.

I pass up pizza, chips, and everything else they bring to work. My hubby still eats normally but he's got a rock hard body and doesn't need to lose weight. he's very supportive and normally won't eat anything like that in front of me but I told him it was fine and it is. This isn't HIS BATTLE, it's mine.

I am feeling like cheating for one meal just to get the urge out. I used to do that before and it never effected my loss because I allowed myself ONE MEAL every 2 weeks to have whatever I wanted. This time I am trying to go without the cheat meals and it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?????

Replies

• Stripple
    Stripple Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My cravings for bread have gone:smile: but if you can have a cheat meal without falling of the wagon then go for it..
  • VivaLaMezzo
    VivaLaMezzo Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Don't do it! When I did low carb, that was always the kiss of death for me. I would eat that one snack or meal... and then I would rationalize another "I'm already out of ketosis, so I'll start fresh tomorrow..." Which would be come Monday, then the beginning of the month. Is the spike in blood sugar worth it? Is it worth having to go through the Atkin's flu again? However, you know yourself best.
  • rhondatn
    rhondatn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would try modifying your low carb diet just a bit. For me things like granola, fruit, or anything with flour will set me back, increase cravings, and kick me out of ketosis. Tweak it just a bit and see if you feel better. Try having cheese or other low carb options for your snacks, but I would definitely ditch the granola bars.
  • PJoy6
    PJoy6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard, I was probably feeling the exact same way - 2 months ago.
    2 months later I have gained 5 pounds and am trying to get back on the ketosis wagon. It's hard!!!!

Are you craving salty or sweet?
    Eat a big giant steak with mushrooms and cream sauce, or lobster with butter.
    If it's sweet - Eat 2 pieces of homemade low carb cheesecake with berries.
    Something rich and filled with fat and protein usually helps.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Sad to say my carb and sugar cravings aren't miraculously gone, either. I think I'm okay for today, I wanted McDonald's (frappe, double quarter pounder with bun, maybe some fries!) but I remembered a kind family member saw filet mignon on sale at Walmart and bought it for me, and no way was I going to substitute fast food for high quality steak that I never, ever get to eat. So yeah, cravings gone.

One possible tip, if you know you're going to be around that food and you can do it ahead of time, eat something low carb and very filling right beforehand, and maybe it won't be so bad.

Oh, and I think my craving today might have to do with not getting nearly enough fat in my diet for at least the past week. I fixed that today.
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    i just realized that cheating for one meal a week sets me two steps back every time. for the most part, my cravings are gone but then there are those days... ugh... when i could just eat a whole box of dominoes cheesy bread. however if i can fit it into my carb limit, i always will eat a square of dark chocolate :) it's a nice treat and reminds me of how good i've done for the day in order to be able to eat it! so i basically "cheat" a few times a week. *quantity is key!!* i only eat a *square* of chocolate.

anyway if it never affected you in the past to have a cheat meal then do it. plus i've read it's good to give yourself a carb and calorie refeed 1-2 times a week to break plateaus and speed up the weight-loss process.

if you're at mikey d's, then get a grilled chicken club sammich and take the bread off. its only 4 carbs!
    kfc grilled chicken meal with green beans - 5 carbs
    in 'n' out double double protein style - 11 carbs

it's possible to still enjoy life on this diet! :)
  • PJoy6
    PJoy6 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

if you're at mikey d's, then get a grilled chicken club sammich and take the bread off. its only 4 carbs!
    kfc grilled chicken meal with green beans - 5 carbs
    in 'n' out double double protein style - 11 carbs

it's possible to still enjoy life on this diet! :)

YES this! Get a bacon double cheeseburger - don't eat the bun.
    It's all coming back to me now.
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    If your family orders pizza - scrape the topping off 2 or 3 pieces and put them on a low carb tortilla. Its not EXACTLY the same but it still tastes like pizza and satifies the cravings.

I also order tacos from the BBQ place down the street and put the insides in my own lc tortillas.

For a sweet treat, try strawberries with whipped heavy cream and a little splenda. I sometimes add a TBS of semi sweet chocolate chips. Its higher in carb so I dont do everyday but it sure feels like I am being REALLY bad and helps my horrible sweet tooth.

Yes, the burgers without the bun too. My cravings for carbs have been gone awhile but I do still get the urge for ice cream. Its a good thing they have no sugar/low carb versions out there!!
  • kvalmera
    kvalmera Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I haven't done a cheat and feel better today. Yesterday was just a huge struggle with work the way it's been and everyone bringing everything under the sun. It's made the cravings impossibly challenging.

I know beyond a shadow of a doubt I can have a cheat meal every 2 weeks and still lose, still stay on track but I am trying NOT to do that time time around. Not because I fell off due to being too weak to handle the cravings, but because an injury set me back, I lost work and just couldn't afford to eat low carb and when I say I was broke, I was broke!! I had no choice but to go back to bread and potatoes, rice and all other bad stuff.

So anyway, I am okay and yes, I am making a low carb cheesecake this weekend since I am off! I am sure that will help!! Not to mention I had a good loss on the scale this morning and that was motivation enough :)
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I hear that eating more fat helps with the sweet cravings. Give that a try next time.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Great discussion. I'm bookmarking for when I need it!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    no. even months later, i will still crave them. they really really are an addiction for me.
    if you were addicted to carbs before, mentally you might always crave them.
    i plan cheat days. i'd be miserable if i didn't. i look forward to cheating on holidays :D

at mcdonalds i get 2 mcdoubles, no bun, no cheese, no ketchup add mayo on a bed of shredded lettuce.
    i find it is more filling than the grilled chicken.
    the mcchicken patty is only 10 grams of carbs if you make room for it for the day.
    and 4 nuggets are like 11? i think.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    oh, another thing i did at mcdonalds -
    stole a fry from each other my kids, chew them up, them spit it a napkin. so i got to taste it, but not swallow it and get all the carbs, haha.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I realized I haven't lost the desire for carbs. I got off work and hubby asked me to bring him home some McDonalds - the only thing open here after hours so I get him his usual 10 piece nugget, fries and a coke. OMG, I wanted some sooooooooo bad but I didn't give in. And now I am feeling like I am in the worse mood. 25 days of low carb, have not cheated once, with the exception of two tortilla chips and that's the only "no no" I've had since I started back.

First things first - the struggle you are having can easily be avoided by telling your husband, he needs to get his own fast food if you are to remain dedicated to the low-carb intake that you chose for yourself. Your husband asking to get this puts you in a very vulnerable position and that is unfair of him to ask you to get that. If it is taking you this long to get over the true addiction (which that is the impression I am getting), then your husband needs to offer support - and that would entail he needs to get his own junk/fast food and not have it around
    I pass up pizza, chips, and everything else they bring to work. My hubby still eats normally but he's got a rock hard body and doesn't need to lose weight. he's very supportive and normally won't eat anything like that in front of me but I told him it was fine and it is. This isn't HIS BATTLE, it's mine.
    Clearly it isnt fine because the mere having the junk/fast food in your car was enough to drive you into a feasting frenzy. If your husband was truly supportive, he would not have asked you to pick that food up for him. While I do agree, this choice was made by you, and you are correct to say it, however, it could have been his choice to get that food on his own. Your own clip right there definitely confirms, its not alright to have it around you. You should not be struggling.
    I am feeling like cheating for one meal just to get the urge out. I used to do that before and it never effected my loss because I allowed myself ONE MEAL every 2 weeks to have whatever I wanted. This time I am trying to go without the cheat meals and it's driving me crazy.

Does anyone else ever feel this way?????

Do yourself a favor and ask yourself:
    1.) If I let myself have this one cheat meal, do I have the ability to control myself afterwards and not give-in again?
    2.) What are some things I can do to change my behaviors
    3.) What are some things your husband can do to offer full onset of support that doesnt involve contributing to his eating habits where it is consuming yours, mentally?
    4.) What foods am I eating right now that might be part of the problem of 'wanting' things I know are not good for me?
    5.) What is triggering my old behaviors?

8-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Kvalmera - if you are open to suggestions of your diary, please think about it.

I do have plenty of suggestions that will help you.

I can definitely see why you have not been able to get rid of those triggers and its definitely involving the food choices you are willingly making for yourself....

I will gladly help but will only do so if you want it.
  • maybabier
    maybabier Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of keto friendly bread, muffin, pizza crust online you can find (try flax seed recipes). I recently have the craziest craving for bread and ice cream so I found keto version of these things and was able to stay low carb still.

I can't seem to trust those "low carb" products they sell at the super market, especially the ones that have HIGH fiber and super low total carb count!

Limit your artificial sweetener intake too! If you're craving for sweet, protein powder helps a lot for me.
  • maybabier
    maybabier Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Also you can cheat once a week, that should make you feel better. But cheat clean! Natural sugar like fruits, honey, try to limit intake on fast food, do whole wheat pizza dough (you can buy at whole foods), brown rice, potatoes, raw chocolate, etc.