How are baby boomers losing weight?

Options
fastforlife1
fastforlife1 Posts: 459 Member
I started intermittent fasting June 26 and I have lost 9 pounds since then. (With 1 week off for bad behavior). I was hoping to have lost 20 pounds in 2 months, but that is not happening!
Friday I switched to alternate day fasting which I think I prefer to ESE (fasting 2- 24 hours a week). Every other day goal calories are 6-700 calories (and yes I count my exercise calories on these days) and alternate days are maintainance calories (about 2100-2300 calories for me, but I am trying to keep my up day calories at 1800 except for special occasions. And I do not count exercise calories those days.
I have also realized that hoping to lose 2/3 pounds a week is an unreasonable goal for me; however, I will keep trying but I will be happy with any weight loss!

Replies

• topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories. I live gluten free but not for health reasons just because I do feel better when avoiding wheat. For exercise, I cycle. I recently started to work out with some weights. How are you losing weight?
  • geogie54
    geogie54 Posts: 23
    Options
    I am counting calories. I live gluten free but not for health reasons just because I do feel better when avoiding wheat. For exercise, I cycle. I recently started to work out with some weights. How are you losing weight?
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I watch my calories,i don't keep a strict record I after so many yrs of dieting pretty much know how many cals, a food has so i feel if i have met those calories for the day i then just eat fruit the rest of day, & i don't eat after 5pm.
  • madivp
    madivp Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    For health reasons I am eating Vegan. I started two weeks ago and have lost 10 pounds. I am not hungry at all my cravings have stopped. I am following Dr John McDougalls diet. I was put on insulin and it is about impossible to lose weight with the types of medications I am on . So I am really impressed. We will see where I go with this. I have a triple heart bypass so that is why I gave up meat.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm watching calories mostly by changing what I eat and how much of it I eat. I'm walking everyday and doing strength training workouts 3-4 times a week. I through in some yoga for stretching and balance. In May, I was 185. Today I'm 172. So something is working right. :laugh:
  • lskog1
    lskog1 Posts: 2
    Options
    I use MFP to keep track of my calories and I also have a Fit Bit. I use the Fit Bit and try to get in at least 10,000 steps/day. I started about 2 weeks ago and have lost 5.8 lbs as of yesterday.
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I am using this website to keep me accountable for my calories and I am trying to get into exercising.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    I love the support of MFP. Great job everyone!
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I am counting calories as well. Trying to avoid most processed foods and trying to keep the carbs low. Not much eating out at all.
    I have been logging daily since I seriously started here. I signed up in February 2012, but did not begin until March 12th.
    I mostly walk with light weights for excersise. I am looking for an eliptical machine (used)
    I have lost 80# so far, but still have a lot to lose. I started out at 290# and weighed in at 210# on Monday, August 13, 2012.
    What has kept me focused on my goals is the realization that at the age of almost 61, I can no longer keep telling myself that I will start tomorrow, because there are not that many tomorrows left. That, and asking myself frequently, "are you really hungry?" The answer is mostly no, so that helps to keep me from eating things that I shouldn't eat. I have been really good about eating healthy and portion control, and it is paying off for me.
    My only regret is that I didn't know about MFP sooner!
  • Shamrock9377
    Shamrock9377 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP since November. Was starting to feel like I was starving on 1200 calories. So I found the EM2WL group. EatMore2WeighLess. I've started my metabolism reset and am sooooo enjoying being able to eat again. Check it out. I lost 72-73 pounds prior to this by just counting calories, but figured I can't go on living on 1200 calories the rest of my life. Had to figure out a way to eat more but not gain weight. Starting to lift weights next week. Been reading the book, The New Rules of Lifting for Women. Lots of wonderful information. :happy:
  • EbnyIvry
    EbnyIvry Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I log my meals and workout daily. Spin at home with a video on my iPad each morning before I leave for work. I use the iPhone pedometer app to track my progress when I walk my dog. That's Snowball and me in the photo.
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Slowly...but surely. I am 20 pounds lighter than last summer, but have made it a top priority to have a baseline 30 mins exervise each day and moved my calorie goal from 1800 to 1500. My new weighxt target loss is the next 8 pounds. This will move me off pre-diabetic status. I only set small goals, normally 5
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Super great job! My arthritis bad so exercise hurts but always helps pain if that makes sense.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    Does anybody else find that if they exercise too much their weight loss stops? I am not sure if because this makes me hungrier or what.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Fastforlife, I think part of it is from muscle weighing more than fat. Exercise builds/tones muscle. Some advice that I have heard is to take measurements.
    I was wondering if you could tell us more about fasting?
    Thanks!
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Fastforlife i watch my calories 1500 a day, thats hard some days so i stay busy working on crafts etc,as i am retired i need to stay busy or would be a couch tater! just keep moving the body,walking,bending, squatting,etc. anyway u can burn calories. I am not for fasting myself. After u come off a fast aren't u starving & eat like a horse? Just saying! anyway the older u get the harder & longer it takes to lose a lb. & u want to have it stay off not pop back on.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    Super great job! My arthritis bad so exercise hurts but always helps pain if that makes sense.

I also suffer from arthritis in all my joints, some days are worse then others. I try to do a little exercise everyday, probably not what I need. I keep track of everything I put in my mouth down to the tsp of margarine. I have lost 12 pounds so far. slow and steady for me. I will not fast I don't believe this is good for your body. I keep a steady change up of food to keep my body fueled. If you are eating less than 1200 calories your body thinks you are starving it. Weight loss is not a quick fix if you take it off too fast you will only end up putting it back on.
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Low Low Carb....Almost Paleo Exercise....

Lite yoga stretching.

The Shred.

Loosing more inches than weight at the moment.....

That'll work.
  • fastforlife1
    Options
    For those of you asking about fasting - go to YouTube and watch the BBC video "Eat, fast, and live longer." Intermittent fasting has many health benifits and can also be used for weight loss.
    I actually find eating sugar makes me hungry. My sweet daughter gave me some peanut brittle which I was eating yesterday and it made me starving for dinner, The more I fast, the more my appetite shrinks and my self control grows. There are many different types of fasting called Intermittent Fasting. There is a group here on MFP called that too. However, I have not fasted for a week. I have been very busy and burning lots of calories, so I hope I have lost a pound or two when I weigh tomorrow!
  • myooper1
    Options
    Hi Baby Boomers. I started MFP about3 weeks ago. Have lost 3.5 lbs. Trying very hard to stay within my calorie limits and today didn't do so well. I'm in it for the long haul for health reason.