Worth it cook books

Options
caribougal
caribougal Posts: 865 Member
Hi. I bought Everyday Paleo by Sarah Fragoso the other day. I didn't look at the price and was handing over my card before the $29.99 hit my ears. There are definitely some things I want to try but I still have buyer's remorse.

I was just checking out Well Fed Paleo. Anyone have that one? Is it worth it?

I do like Eat Like A Dinosaur but I still haven't cooked from it. My kids like it though which is why I bought it. We just haven't had time to spend cooking together.

The only book that I have really used and love love love is actually the nomnompaleo iPad app. But I'd like to have more physical books.

Any recommendations.

Replies

• Freyja2023
    Freyja2023 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals by Mark Sisson. Amazing cookbook with really good recipes and tips in it. All the meals are designed to be done in 30 minutes or less which to me is a plus since I have two boys, babysit my sisters two boys, hubby, makes getting the food done and done a real challenge. Boys don't like to wait LOL. Every recipe also has pictures so you can actually see what it is you will be making, which for me is another plus. I love this cookbook :) (can you tell LOL LOL)

You can find it for a decent price on amazon I think I spent like 20 bucks on it.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Well Fed is beautiful! Its an amazingly produced book so I feel that its totally worth the price. I haven't bought it yet, but I have the sample e-book which contains quite a few pages from the book, and I drooled all over a copy at the bookstore and regretted not buying it that day.

I bought Everyday Paleo on Nook so it was cheaper, but still pricey for an e-book -- though there are some very good sounding recipes
    I also bought the e-book for Make It Paleo by Hayley Mason and Bill Staley and have tried a couple things -- very creative and TASTY recipes.
    Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint cookbook is great also and has some very good recipes

I usually buy my books as e-books (easier storage on one device instead of 100 cookbooks) but I would totally buy the physical copy of Well Fed...and not just because there isn't a full length nook book for it yet, but because it is so gorgeous to look at :)
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I bought the nomnom paleo ipad app cookbook and am liking it so far!
  • Frankenbarbie01
    Frankenbarbie01 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Well Fed is EXCELLENT!!!!
    I have a rather large collection of regular cook books and I always go to it first. I love it! You can tell the book is written with the intention of love...a love of food & cooking.
    If I had to give up all my other books and choose 1 this would be it!
    I just bought two more from Amazon : Everyday Paleo and Paleo Comfort foods and the jury is still out. Anyone have reccommendations from either of those??
  • skwidlund
    skwidlund Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I wasn't a big fan of Sarah Fragoso's first cookbook Everyday Paleo, and looked at the other one at Costco the other day. I couldn't find more than a handful of recipes I wanted to try while flipping through it, so I put it back. I'd borrowed Everyday Paleo from my cousin last year, cooked about 10 of the recipes and ended up having to significantly tweak each and every one of them. It looked like the new one would have ended up being similar.

I love Make It Paleo - it's the first book I turn to when I'm looking for something new. I've cooked through at least a quarter of the recipes, and they've all been huge hits with my family. They've also inspired lots of experimenting on my own - love a cookbook that gives me not only recipes but ideas!

I picked up Well Fed and have made a few recipes, all of which have turned out well. I think the most useful part of that cookbook for me was her prep stuff - it's changed the way I cook in some really helpful ways.

We've found lots of great, family friendly recipes from Eat Like a Dino and I also love the Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint QUick and Easy meals.

I haven't had a chance to cook anything out of it yet, but I have lots of recipes tagged in Practical Paleo. I've used lots of her recipes in the past from BalancedBites.com, so I'm pretty confident they'll be good.

The NomNomPaleo app is amazing and her blog is the first place I go (cookbook, online, anywhere). The magic mushroom powder alone is worth the purchase price! I also love Chowstalker.com - if I didn't have such a cookbook addiction, I'd probably be happy with all of the different recipes and blogs I find off of there :wink:
  • jodester13
    jodester13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have Primal Bluepring quick and easy - love it! Last night we got home late and didn't have a lot of food options (I need to go shopping!) so we did the chicken and artichoke broil recipe (minus sardines) - it was AMAZING and so simple!
  • GalaxyDuck
    GalaxyDuck Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I also wasn't a huge fan of Everyday Paleo. I used it for ideas and come up with my own measurements because hers are way off to my tastes.

I LOVE WELL FED. It's the best paleo cookbook in my opinion by far, and I've got like, all of them.

Make It Paleo & Paleo Comfort Foods each have a few really good dishes in them, but I find they both tend to be common-sense, no brainer type recipes. I don't need like 10 different omelette recipes, everybody know you just throw whatever you have into an omelette anyways.

Other than that you'll find a lot of great recipes on Nom Nom Paleo, as others have mentioned. I also use Cook's Illustrated and Julia Child's Kitchen Wisdom a lot. They aren't specifically paleo, but they focus on real ingredients and are great for things like salad dressing, veggie sides, etc. I tweak whatever ingredients aren't paleo with subs (usually coconut milk for milk, honey for sugar, that sort of thing).

Happy cooking!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great ideas everybody. I'm always looking for cookbooks. Sometimes they are a waste of money for me since I can't always get the needed ingredients. That's a problem with many of Mark Sisson's recipes for me, they are simple but I just can't get the ingredients. I do substitute when I can.

I love my eBook, but I don't love it for recipe books. I have a few on it now. I'll have to do some research and order a few of the best in hard copy. I'm checking out every book that has been mentioned in this post. Eat Like a Dinosaur looks good. Again, thanks.

Edit: I'm looking for Well Fed, and I'm getting some results that don't look right; would someone let me know the author (or did I miss it?)? Thanks.
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    go to library

look for paleo/primal cookbooks

photocopy

???

profit
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    go to library

photocopy

???

profit

??? Who are you addressing? We can share ideas, right? I live in a remote community in the Arctic, we have a tiny library, but you'd be shocked by the lack of selection. There are zero books on this topic. I look on Kobo and Chapters too, but there are so many books about food that it's hard to know what is worthwhile. The opinions of other people help a lot.
  • caribougal
    Options
    It's this one:
    http://www.theclothesmakethegirl.com/store/well-fed/

looks like you can buy hard, kindle, or PDF.
  • caribougal
    Options
    thanks, all!

I'm going to invest in a paper version of Well Fed. I'm also going to download her free 30-page PDF.
  • caribougal
    Options
    go to library

photocopy

???

profit

??? Who are you addressing? We can share ideas, right? I live in a remote community in the Arctic, we have a tiny library, but you'd be shocked by the lack of selection. There are zero books on this topic. I look on Kobo and Chapters too, but there are so many books about food that it's hard to know what is worthwhile. The opinions of other people help a lot.

Yes, photocopying is way cheaper. But so much less fun. I love looking at cookbooks, and you just never know when a recipe in one might inspire you when it didn't before. I have some cookbooks I NEVER use, but a few that I like to just scan through every once in a while. Maybe years later.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    I picked up the Everyday Paleo at Costco, but it might go back. Not finding a whole lot in there. That said, Paleo Comfort Foods looked fantastic (also found at Costco) should be good. But I'm Southern, so it may not suit a lot of people's tastes... fried okra is a delicacy to me.
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I second (third, fourth, fifth) the Well Fed Paleo, author of the theclothesemakethegirl.com, as she is just so awesome. She's a huge inspiration to me because she addresses some very real issues when it comes to thyroid, as does Stefani Ruper, author of the Paleoforwomen.com blog and website. Well Fed Paleo is my next planned purchase as far as cookbooks go.

I have already purchased the Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals and although I haven't made anything in there yet, I love the layout of the recipes, the photos, pretty much everything about it. This weekend, the prepping of meals for the week begins, and I'm all over that.

Do you find recipes on Pinterest? Hopefully nobody said this on the thread already and I'm just late to the party by saying it. I'm on there grabbing recipes when I can. Username is cerebrus189 in case you want to follow me.
  • caribougal
    Options

Do you find recipes on Pinterest? Hopefully nobody said this on the thread already and I'm just late to the party by saying it. I'm on there grabbing recipes when I can. Username is cerebrus189 in case you want to follow me.

Ok. I'm a software techie person, and I hear about Pinterest all the time. I haven't checked it out because I'm afraid I'll get hooked on it! But, maybe I should.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Options
    So, disappointing that Well Fed is not available on Kobo or Chapters (Canada). It was just published last year! Guess I have to find another store that ships to the Arctic without charging a mint. lol

Edit: found it on amazon.ca. Hopefully I can get it there.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Eh, I'm a geek and I don't use Pinterest either :)

Now if I could write a PowerShell script to cook for me...
  • Cerebrus189
    Cerebrus189 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Caribougal, I don't know if you have an Android or iPhone but if you have either, FastPaleo just released their Android app, and the iPhone app was released a few months ago. I don't know how much it is for iPhone, but for Android it's .99 and so worth it. I'm excited about some of the recipes I saw tonight to help me get out of the lazy cooking slump.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    YAY about the fastpaleo app! I love the site..had no idea they had an app now. Thank you for mentioning it :)