New to Zumba

Options
2»

Replies

• Lmezz11
    Lmezz11 Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    So new Im squeaky...this site looks fabulous tho, and Im rarin to try the Zumba routines. Can anyone tell me advantages/disadvantages of classes versus the game type? We own a wii so that would be my format. So far just doin on demand freebies and youtube vids. Thanx

I had Zumba for the Wii before going to a live class... I hated it. I thought it was hard and didn't understand the moves. I tried it once and put it back on my shelf. THEN I went to a live class and fell absolutely in love! I found the live class easier to do. You can watch what the instructor does... and there is no penatly for doing it wrong.

That being said... I like my Zumba game for the Wii now too. For me, I just had to learn the rythm of the whole thing before I was able to do it on my own.
  • lovinmomnwife
    Options
    I would talk to your doctor just incase. You do alot of moving and dancing. It is very fun if you can. Good luck.
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is cece and i have wanted to try
    zumba but did'nt know if i could because i have
    arthritis in both knees and i weigh over 300 lbs
    can it be done? thank you

The zumba I have for my wii is not hard core. The 20 minute one is low impact. If you have a wii, I say go for it.
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    How many calories can you burn doing zumba? It doesn't show up on MFP?
  • meli_loses_it
    meli_loses_it Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I just purchased Zumba for Wii for my mother and bought an extra belt for me too! I also plan on buying the DVDs. I'm really excited to try it out! Still nervous about doing it in a class with other people lol
  • bissabwell
    bissabwell Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Just came from my very first Zumba class! I will definitely be back next week!
    Logged on to MFPas soon as I got home but don't know whether to log it as "aerobics" or "dance". Did a search and found this board. Any advice?
  • motivated2damax
    motivated2damax Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also new to zumba and finally took my first class yesterday. It was a lot of work but most of all fun. Really enjoyed myself.
  • meli_loses_it
    meli_loses_it Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Just came from my very first Zumba class! I will definitely be back next week!
    Logged on to MFPas soon as I got home but don't know whether to log it as "aerobics" or "dance". Did a search and found this board. Any advice?

I would suggest getting a Heat Monitor that can measure that calories you burn. I don't really trust what MFP has for exercise b/c everyone is different and may burn a different amount of calories.
  • ninnalibra
    Options
    I wear a heart monitor and I found that if u log zumba under Aerobics-high impact...U get almost the same calories....only a diff of 5-10 sometimes...so i log it under aerobics-high impact.....
  • DaNae9402
    DaNae9402 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just joined this group today. I started Zumba this week and I am addicted! I think about the moves and the songs are stuck in my head.  I have the Zumba Exhilarate DVD set with the toning sticks. I have two toddlers so going to live classes is impossible right now. Glad we have an active group to support each other. I usually log my workouts as dance modern aerobic. I wish they had a zumba calculation. As popular as it is I'm surprised they don't.
  • elmadmongoose
    Options
    Before getting a HRM, I would use the following website to calculate my calories burned. But yeah, you can't go wrong with a heart rate monitor:

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello my name is cece and i have wanted to try
    zumba but did'nt know if i could because i have
    arthritis in both knees and i weigh over 300 lbs
    can it be done? thank you

I would suggest Aqua Zumba as this removes the jarring in your joints. Also each Zumba class offers alternatives so you certainly could do it, just tell the instructor at the beginning to ensure alternative options are offered. Good luck
  • healthchick
    healthchick Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Before getting a HRM, I would use the following website to calculate my calories burned. But yeah, you can't go wrong with a heart rate monitor:

http://caloriesburnedhq.com/zumba-calories-burned/

The web site is super accurate. I used it prior to purchasing my HRM and have found it is within 5 calories. Good luck
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    How many calories can you burn doing zumba? It doesn't show up on MFP?

You can go to www.zumbacalories.com and they can tell you how much.
  • beebee0925
    beebee0925 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I love going to Zumba classes at my gym. I hate when I have a conflict and I have to miss a class. I borrowed a Zumba DVD from the library and I loved it. Nothing beats a live class but I think I'm going to invest in getting the DVD's to substitute for when I can't make the class.