Hi, I'm A New Baby Boomer Member

Options
BabyJago
BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
Hi,
I was born in 1960 and am 52 years old. I am finding the 50's to be challenging in terms of maintaining my weight and also my sense of self. I want to maintain my weight or just lose 2-3 pounds, but feel for me, it's "better to maintain than gain."

I joined myfitnesspal a week ago and LOVE IT!

This site has great tools to keep me motivated and reinforces what I've been doing for years (exercising almost daily, calorie counting, daily weigh-ins) and that's what I need, since being 52 is vastly different than being 42 or 32.

I do find that remembering the things I'm grateful for helps when I'm feeling the challenges of being a (Horrors) middle aged woman. I am grateful for a great husband, a great job and my two wonderful cats...gratitude can keep you from becoming depressed. :smile:

Now it's time for my mandatory 30 minute work out. Have a great day everyone.

Replies

• mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Welcome Babyjago--we are all in the same boat, exercise is hard at our ages, walking is good,I don't do anything too strenious myself cause the pain in my knees,shoulders are bad from arthritis. I do small stuff,cut cals, watch sugar intake(hardly any)but, i am a southern gal so luv my sweet ice tea. I don't eat after 5pm, just my cut off point. we will work at this together girl.
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Welcome BabyJago! I've been teh same way! I love this site!
  • BabyJago
    BabyJago Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support. Work was all-consuming this week and eating out four nights in a row did not help. But, while it wasn't the "best" week in terms of eating and weight loss, I have to keep at it, right? :smile:
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    Baby Jago, yes, just keep at it. One day at a time.
    I have found that there just are not enough good choices eating out. I have pretty much quit going out, but when I do, I scour the online menu's and look for the best choice for me. Sodium levels seem to be high on most things at restaurants, even the healthy choices. I have never been a big alcohol drinker, so that is not an issue with me. However, food has pretty much been a problem forever with me:ohwell: Portion size and healthy choices are working for me.
    MFP is what is keeping me on track.
  • mamawjoyce
    mamawjoyce Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi Babyjago its hard eating out,i look at the menu & my head says pick a healthier dinner,then my stomach growls & says i want the fatest on the menu. usually stomach wins out. I can do pretty good during the week cause i don't eat out much but,the weekends are Hell to get thru. We all just have to have a 1 day cheat day a week then get over it & go back to watching it the other 6 days. Hang Tuff we can do this!