Hello...Newbie here......nice to meet you.....advise please

Options
suemorgan1969
suemorgan1969 Posts: 132 Member
Hi
Im Sue from Uk. I have been on mfp now since april and have lost 14lbs through 1200 cals a day. However, my weight has not moved at all in the last 8 weeks. So, I thought I would forget the calories and low carb for a while. I did this 20 years ago, prior to getting married and lost 45lbs in 4 months on about 70g a day.
My question is.....How many carbs a day are you doing? How much have you lost, in how long?
Also, how do i set my MFP goals up regarding carbs? I forsee my cals going over alot if i am gonna be eating cheese, bacon etc....will this matter?

xx

Replies

• xBrittanyK
    Options
    How many carbs you eat a day is really determined by you and your body. I know most people start out Atkins style and try to keep it under 20g/day. I, personally, try to keep my net carbs around 30-40g and I lose pretty well (84lbs total, 65 of which have been since mid January this year). My husband on the other hand needs to keep his around 70g to lose. Any lower and he stalls and any higher he gains pretty quick. I'd recommend starting low and either as you start getting closer to goal, add more carbs in.. Or if you think your body can handle it, add more in when you're ready. You might see an initial gain, but it may just be water. If you lose it again and keep losing or holding steady, you should be fine. If you don't lose and you start creeping up then you're at too many a day.

To set your carb goals, go to My Home tab, then 'Goals' underneath and you can change things around there.

Don't worry about your calories too much in the beginning. Obviously if you're hitting 3,000 a day, time to tone it down; especially if you're not very active. It's another one of those things where you need to let your body find its 'sweet spot'.

Good luck!
  • vintagebrighton
    Options
    Hi, I aim for less than 50 carbs a day and am usually around 30. My calories are waaaay over what MFP has set them at, sometimes over 2000 which is maintenance weight. I've lost 40lbs since the middle of April.

What I will say though, is that I'm anticipating a plateau at some point and when that happens I'll keep an eye on my calories by cutting down the cream. I'm vegetarian so I struggle to keep my protein up but apart from that, low carb suits me.

MFP does have a setting that suits Atkins. Good luck, you know it works :)
  • suemorgan1969
    Options
    ok, thank you. I think i will start on 70g or less daily for a week to see what happens. Any folk out there wanna be my low carb buddy to help me along the way?
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    ok, thank you. I think i will start on 70g or less daily for a week to see what happens. Any folk out there wanna be my low carb buddy to help me along the way?

We're all buddies here :)

Good luck, I started on 30g and have since moved to 50g ... Progress is good despite me tucking into the real ale with gusto yesterday (which doesn't happen often ;))

I'm originally from the UK too (Kent) but living in Oz now :)
  • suemorgan1969
    Options
    im doing ok, day 4!!!! Have been on about 30g carb a day so far and 2lb down already x