Book ideas to read to my kids?

Options
siriusgirl
siriusgirl Posts: 44 Member
Every night I read to my kids who are 8 & 10, 1 boy & 1 girl. The series I've read to them are: Harry Potter, Alex Rider and Percy Jackson...anything else along these lines I should read to them? Or something else different? We're game! Thanks for any ideas!

Replies

• sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    I've heard the Underland Chronicles by Suzanne Collins are very good. They are on my ever growing list. My daughter and I are reading all the Judy Bloom Fudge books right now.
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    My son likes the Dragon Orb series right now but we've reading together since he was a baby.
    The Chronicles of Prydain ( There's a kickbutt girl in there)
    The How to Train Your Dragon series
    My son liked the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. They might appeal to both.

He went through a Magical Tree House phase ( albeit short)

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series ( there are a bunch)

Those are just the ones of the top of my head. Oh..and the Shiloh series of books .
  • TheMaidOfAstolat
    TheMaidOfAstolat Posts: 3,222 Member
    Options
    I love everything that has been reccomended. Try anything by E D Baker, Donna Jo Napoli, or other authors that base their stories on classic fairy tales. My daughter is currently working her way through Roald Dahl's novels.

FYI- to the OP- Arthur is beautiful! I watch Merlin weekly, lol. Love it! I have an obsession. With Arthurian legend...hence my user name, lol.
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    How about some Roald Dahl? I loved them when I was younger but they are also great for reading out. The Twits, Fantastic Mr Fox, The BFG, George's Marvellous Medicine, Matilda, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, The Witches....all are brilliant and magical. Both are great for both boys and girls which I sometimes think can be the hard part of finding books.
  • DianeG213
    DianeG213 Posts: 253
    Options
    Bump for later
  • SarahMorganP
    SarahMorganP Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    How about some Roald Dahl? I loved them when I was younger but they are also great for reading out. The Twits, Fantastic Mr Fox, The BFG, George's Marvellous Medicine, Matilda, Charlie and The Chocolate Factory, The Witches....all are brilliant and magical. Both are great for both boys and girls which I sometimes think can be the hard part of finding books.

Roald Dahl is the BEST! My 9 year old daughter is obsessed with The BFG and The Witches, just like my son was at this age. So much fun!

Right now I am reading Hatchet with her and that is great too.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    My son (11) loved Hatchett and My Side of the Mountain. We also read The Chronicles of Narnia. The City of Ember series was really good as well.
  • triplestepping
    triplestepping Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Seconding anything by Roald Dahl (esp. Charlie & The Chocolate Factory) and C.S. Lewis (Chronicles of Narnia)

Further suggestions:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll
    The Jungle Book - Rudyard Kipling
    The Little Prince - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    The Wind in the Willows - Kenneth Graham
    Watership Down - Richard Adams (the book is way less creepy than the movie)
    The Princess Bride - William Goldman
    Where the Sidewalk Ends (funny poetry) - Shel Silverstein (& anything else he wrote, but that was my favourite)
    Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH - Robert C. O'Brien
    Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little, and The Trumpet of the Swan - E. B. White

For your daughter (altho your son might like them too?)

Anne of Green Gables series, L.M. Montgomery
    Black Beauty - Anna Sewell
    The Secret Garden & A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett

I think that's it for now! :)
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    not sure if Garth Nix is a bit old yet or not... the abhorson ones id say definately are... about walking into death and stuff...but.. keys to the kingdom series (google suggests thats the name, but - mr monday, grim tuesday...etc) id say are about the right age... they follow a boy whose 12 i always think the character age is a good indication of the age their aimed at... but the first came out when i was 13 the last in 2010 and i liked it as much at 20 as i did at 13...

i was going to suggest Peter pan in scarlet the new sequal for peter pan (i say new... probably 5 years old now) unfortunately i never got to finish it because mine went up in smoke with a car :( ..... but then i realised there is the first peter pan/peter and wendy/ the boy who wouldnt grow up cant beat peter pan :)

oohh and as someone else said the wind in the willows! you will get some very different meanings from it to your children though ... i had to read it recently as part of a folklore module at uni very interesting!

im afraid i think everything else i can spy on my bookcases are a bit old or too girly...
    x
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket.

I've read it aloud in my classroom to third graders, all the way up through the grades to 7th graders. They all love this series.

Funny and quirky. Love it!
  • Copperycat
    Copperycat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Lemony Snicket A series of Unfortunate Events is brilliant. Also anything by Michael Morpurgo, especially War Horse and Born to Run.

My two are older now and like the Malorie Blackman Noughts and Crosses Trilogy, but that might be a bit old for them :)