Big Family potluck

Options
I come from a big, rural WV family. We're having my Mama's family reunion tomorrow and I know there will be all kinds of my favorite fattening dishes there. This is my first week on MFP and I've done really well so I don't want to undo all of my hard work. But I also want to enjoy some of these treats I only get once a year.

So...here's my strategy - I'm bringing a huge yummy salad as my potluck dish. I plan to fiill my plate with salad and eat that then go back a get a few spoonfuls of my favorite things.

Thoughts? How do you get through these kinds of situations?

Replies

• elizabethb460
    Options
    It would suck for me to not take at least some bites of these favorite dishes. I would guess that if I didn't actually taste some of them, I would rebound like a high school girl after a breakup and eat like a pig at home. Later. Maybe at midnight, alone in the kitchen. No kidding. My advice is to eat the salad as planned, take a spoon (not the big spoon) and get one spoonful of 5 of your favorite dishes. Then choose one that you get to have a second spoonful. After that, go where the little kids are and play with them to keep yourself busy. If you get hungry, get more of that salad you brought. This is what the holidays will feel like. Good luck! :smile:
  • giftieetcetera
    giftieetcetera Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    My tricks are 1) like you, bringing and eating a big salad and 2) nothing touches my lips that isn't worth it. And, oh, there will be things that are worth it. But don't eat a stupid Oreo cookie, just because it's there, you know? Do eat a reasonable, small portion of your aunt's lemon pie!

Enjoy yourself, and don't worry too much. Remember to track every bite (bring a little notebook or on your phone), so that IF you do gain, you at least know how many calories make you gain.
  • pr33mi3mom
    pr33mi3mom Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    So, I have 3 rules for get togethers.
    1) 99% of the unhealthy food there is something you've had before (or relatively close) so you already know what it will taste like. Don't bother eating it. It's pointless. It's not some strange exotic new dish you've never heard of.
    2) Find someone who is empathetic to your situation and Brag about how good you're doing and trying to be. I find that once you announce the changes your making and what your goal is, you kind of force yourself to be accountable.
    3) If it's staring at you, screaming at you to taste it... then I ask someone else to get me 1 forkful. No plate. Plate = obligation to finish. A fork is legitimately a taste.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So I brought a big salad (which everyone loved by the way!). Then I had a small helping of another salad (it had chicken and lettuce, almonds, and a light vinegrette), a teaspoon of scaloped potatoes (my fave!) and a teaspoon of a casserole that my aunt makes. For dessert I had a big slice of watermelon, a slice of cantalope, and a bite of cheesecake.

Pretty proud of myself altogether! :)