Newbie & Primal

Options
lintlin
lintlin Posts: 32 Member
Hi everyone,
I'm new to the group and going through all the posts and just thought I would introduce myself.

I'm a 37 year old ex-swimmer that has gotten completely out of shape. About 6 years ago I was diagnosed with celiac and told to go gluten-free, which I did by sustituting with all kinds of gluten-free goods. They tasted like crap, but I was determined not to give up anything just because of "stupid celiac". After about 9 months I noticed that my symptoms (massive bloating, extreme swelling in the lower extremities, eczema on my scalp and depression) were slowly building up to pre gluten free levels. After a lot of hemming and hawing, telling myself I was getting cross contaminated (probably was), I figured out that corn was really the culprit. It was in everything I was eating, cereal, bread, all the "treats" I was rewarding myself with for sticking to gluten free. Cut corn almost completely out of my diet and things got better, but about another 9 months after that it started happening again. I buckled down on corn (no more gummie bears!), but finally figured out it was soy this time around. That took a while to figure out because I never ate soy itself, but it is in EVERYTHING. I stopped all soy but couldn't quite get it all out -- that's when I realized that every brand of gum uses soy in it's gum base. There is no chewing gum out there that is soy free. I was pretty much addicted to gum, the first thing I did when I got into the car was to pop a piece, go outside, chew gum. I get a dry mouth quickly and chewing gum helped out with that. The day I realized I could never eat gum again was one of the hardest days for me. I felt like there was nothing left to eat.

So anyways, I switched completely to rice based products (and potatoes). Started losing my love of cooking, my joy in eating. Looked for the easiest ways to get full. Rice noodles, glass noodles, rice in all forms, rice flour bread...at some point I noticed that I was not handling it well in larger quantities. Started restricting the amount of rice I was eating, but eventually even that didn't help any more. Rice is different than gluten, corn or soy for me though, in that it will give me massive bloat, but it usually only lasts a day and I don't notice any edema/swelling from it. I stay away from it now, though.

All the gluten free websites that I read often talked about something called "Paleo", and it piqued my interest enough to dig into it. Everything just made sense. But that doesn't mean it made it easy to change my way of eating.

I'm still in the process of changing over to a primal lifestyle. It's probably a little easier for me than others because I don't have to worry about giving up grains or rice, and I'm accustomed to reading the labels for them. Sugar isn't a huge problem for me, either. I don't (never have) eat processed foods, and I can't eat most of the junk food out there, anyways. I plan to keep dairy in my diet, for a while anyways, as it doesn't seem to bother me. I have switched completely to pastured raw milk and raw milk cheese, make my own raw milk yogurt. If anyone knows how to make cottage cheese I would love a recipe, as that is the only conventional dairy that I still eat, but I eat lots of it...

I do have 2 things that I absolutely must stop with, and that is coffee and diet coke. I drink about 2 coffees a day (with milk, no sugar) and 3-4 times a week I have a little bottle of diet pop, which I KNOW is so so so so bad for me. I have reduced from about 3L a week down to 1-1.5L per week, and will be reducing that even further. Otherwise I only drink water.

Sorry for the long introduction! I would really appreciate any friend requests, it's so helpful to be able to motivate one another to eat clean, get healthy and maybe lose some weight.

Replies

• PitBullMom_Liz
    PitBullMom_Liz Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you're ready for a change, and you're making a great choice! I do Primal, so I still allow some dairy in my diet. I also have coffee every morning (if it's not negatively affecting you, why drop it if you if you enjoy it?).

I sent you a friend request. :-)
  • mehaugen
    mehaugen Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I didn't think coffee gave me any problems until I gave it up. Then my energy evened out! I could be slightly tired, but would never get MORE tired during the day, and I am never as tired as I was before I got my morning coffee. I can't believe I gave it up. If I can give it up, anyone can, with time. I used to be a barista and drink (what felt like) gallons a day. And the funny thing is, I only gave it up because I have IBS and was trying to eliminate everything that could possibly upset my stomach (fodmaps, fructose, etc) and thought it would only be for a VERY short time, but now I enjoy waking up naturally too much to get back into the habit of it. I love trying new teas constantly. I totally understand the "I'll give up my coffee when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" mentality (which seems so much more common among paleos hmmmm)
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I totally understand the "I'll give up my coffee when you pry it from my cold, dead hands" mentality (which seems so much more common among paleos hmmmm)

I don't think it's more common among paleos than any other group. I know lots of people eating the SAD who refuse to give up their coffee.

I personally don't want to give up coffee because I like the routine. It's the only beverage I drink besides water, and it's a nice way to start my day. Frankly, at this point I don't even need the caffeine, and I've skipped my morning coffee a few times recently and didn't notice the difference. I just like having it. It's a pleasant way to wake up, with something I enjoy drinking.
  • lintlin
    Options
    Funny thing is, I don't necessarily drink coffee in the morning. I don't feel like I NEED coffee, I just really like it. I love the smell, the act of brewing it, the dripping noises the coffee pot makes or the svigggggssshhhhh that the Nespresso machine makes. Nothing smells as good as fresh coffee. I drink tea sometimes, but it doesn't have the same mouth feel, does that make sense? Plus there's the social aspect of it.

On the other hand, I'm pretty sure it doesn't agree with me. It's just one of the last "normal" things left. I can't ever just go somewhere and meet with friends and have a coffee with cake (German tradition here, "Coffee Time" is about 3:30 pm and always has something to eat, like a cake or muffin or cookies). My friends all mow down on their tortes and cakes and I at least have my coffee. I don't want to be the crazy woman ordering a cup of hot water...

I guess I still have some "issues" about having to do without. It will sort itself, I'm sure.
  • SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I never thought I could drink coffee black until I went paleo. I usually do bulletproof coffee (butter and MCT oil) and it gives a creamy texture and taste, almost like milk.. But many mornings I just drink it plain and I've found I actually like the flavor of the coffee itself instead of all the stuff I used to put in it.
  • Fairysoul
    Fairysoul Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Glad to have you!!
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

It sounds like you've had a tough journey... hopefully Primal will help you start to heal. I'm about where you are... still drink 2 cups of coffee in the morning and one glass of diet coke every other day or so. I try to replace diet coke with Kombucha, but I don't always have it (my Whole Foods carries it on tap, and I lug my stupid "Growler" in every time and they're either out of it, it's flat, or it's a bad flavor... grape Kombucha... really?)

I did half caff when I was trying to get pregnant, and quit all caffeine the day I found out I was pregnant. It took a full month to kick the fog-brain feeling in the morning. I still drank decaf sometimes for the ritual/smell/feel of drinking coffee.

I was off coffee and caffeine for almost four years, while I was pregnant... nursing... pregnant... nursing. As soon I stopped nursing my 2nd baby, I debated about whether to start again. Maybe just every once in a while. Maybe half caff. Maybe just one cup in the morning. I started to convince myself that decaf was worse for me than caffeine (which is probably true) just so I could have an excuse to start again. Which was really stupid. Because it took maybe three days of drinking coffee again in the morning before I was a goner.

Now... 2 cups a day. My kids know.... "Mommy needs to drink coffee or she's an ogre". My oldest actually told me to go drink coffee when I snapped at him in the morning for taking too long on the toilet. Ugh.

Anyway, what the hell was this post about? Oh yeah, Welcome to the group! Feel free to friend me. I've been Paleo since July 3.
  • lintlin
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! It's nice to be around people that don't think you're going crazy because you eat meat and *ugh* fat! :)

Really looking forward to being an active member of this group!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody, I'm new to Paleo too. I've been eating a high protein / lower carb diet for a while now - really mostly focused on eating clean more than anything (followed Tosca Reno's book), so I'm good with not eating too many processed foods, but now I'm going to give Paleo a shot. I exercise a lot - run, bootcamp, kickboxing, spin - at least 6 days a week. I'm having a hard time losing the last 8-10 pounds, and am hoping Paleo will spark that. My next boot camp starts on Monday for 8 weeks - so I'm committing to at least 8 weeks of Paleo - then will see where I'm at.

I love my coffee w/cream, so that'll probably be the last thing that goes, if ever. :laugh: I am going to cut out all dairy (except the splash of cream in my coffee) - I've been eating greek yogurt every day as a snack, so that will be a big change for me. Also will cut out the rice, pasta, potatoes, cereal, cereal bars, crackers, oatmeal, etc. I think the hardest thing will be the cereal and cereal bars - those end up being late night snacks for me. Thank goodness I can replace with fruit - I love fruit.

I would love to have some Paleo friends on MFP with open diaries so I can get inspiration and ideas from you. :flowerforyou:
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm also new here. I've been fairly active on the Eat More to Weigh Less forum and I just recently stumbled across Mark's Daily Apple and it all just made so much sense to me. I've tried low-carb dieting before (South Beach) but was turned off by all the processed foods that were allowed on the diet. I also wasn't prepared for the "carb-flu" that came in the first week and gave up rather quickly because I couldn't imagine sustaining my workouts with how exhausted I felt.

I feel like I'm much more prepared this time around, although like most I'm sure I'll have to take it one step at a time. The first and easiest step for me will be cutting out sugar and grains. It'll probably take me longer to cut legumes, because I really do love beans, and cheese, since I just recently discovered the joys of full-fat cheese. And eventually I'd like to get to the point where I don't have all of the processed condiments. Right now, though, I don't know how to cook without them. I'm a little scared of having the same old meat and veggies for dinner every night (and for every lunch, since I usually take leftovers). I'm an american living in Germany, with very little selection at our american PX and a bit of a language barrier when shopping on the economy.

I would love some Primal/Paleo friends to keep me motivated! I've only got about 10 lbs to lose, but I'm very excited about the idea of body recomposition and having more energy! Today, actually I probably could have slept all day, and I'm so sick of it.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options

... And eventually I'd like to get to the point where I don't have all of the processed condiments. Right now, though, I don't know how to cook without them. I'm a little scared of having the same old meat and veggies for dinner every night (and for every lunch, since I usually take leftovers). I'm an american living in Germany, with very little selection at our american PX and a bit of a language barrier when shopping on the economy.

I am another expat - in Norway, though. I have to get a lot of things at the health food store. Someone also suggested iherb.org. I bought nuun there without a hitch last year, so can at least say it wasn't a hassle to shop through them.

I am new to paleo, too, and don't like cooking. This is a huge transition for me. I made my own salad dressing this morning. There are recipes for condiments out there. I have started trolling pintinterest and found a couple of bbq sauces and bought the nomnom ipad app. The past weeks I have just been putting homemade salsa on everything from breakfast to dinner just so I don't feel deprived of spices I love so much.

litlin - as I mentioned in another thread - I worry about staying paleo in social situations. My colleagues eat out a lot and I know they will think I am being standoffish if I don't go out to dinner with them - not sure how to handle that. Coffee, I drink. I don't do filtered coffee anymore because I feel the difference - but freshly ground doesn't seem to affect me adversely at all. And like you pointed out - it is just a pleasurable ritual.
  • lintlin
    Options
    Hey epcooper, where in Germany are you? I'm in Germany, too, about 30 km north of Frankfurt.

Condiments are the easiest thing in the world to make, if anyone needs a little help, I'm glad to be of service!
  • lintlin
    Options
    Renkatrun, eating out is not too hard. If all else fails order a big salad, hold the croutons. I usually order steak and salad, just make sure to ask for a vinaigrette. I only sometimes find it hard when the social occassion is coffee time, as I can't eat anything then. But you get over it.
  • epcooper
    Options
    Hey epcooper, where in Germany are you? I'm in Germany, too, about 30 km north of Frankfurt.

Condiments are the easiest thing in the world to make, if anyone needs a little help, I'm glad to be of service!

I live in Ansbach, about 200 km south east of Frankfurt (right outside of Nuernberg). It's a tiny town, with very little in the way of specialty stores, but if all else fails I can order stuff online or drive 40 mins to Nuernberg.

I was trying to imagine making the entire transition at once and it just seemed really daunting to me....especially since it seems like EVERYTHING has HFCS in it. It seems a lot easier just taking one step at a time. And I have to keep reminding myself that if I'm not perfect, it's okay because it's still an improvement.
  • renkatrun
    renkatrun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    e....especially since it seems like EVERYTHING has HFCS in it.

I actually dreamed last night that I ate a cinnamon roll and then realized I'd "forgotten" it was grain! Hope all my mistakes will be while I'm sleeping :)

At the store yesterday I picked up a package of summer pork chops that seemed like nothing but meat and bone and fine. But the little label listed fructose! AAARGH!

Daunting is the right word!
  • lintlin
    Options
    WOW LONG POST ALERT!

To be able to make great condiments you should have on hand: Olive oil, Pumpkinseed oil (KÜRBISKERNÖL), white balsamico, red balsamico, garlic (I like the fresh garlic in oil), italian herb mix, herbes de provence, cayenne pepper, sweet paprika (EDELSÜß-paprika) and a spicy paprika (ROSENpaprika), a good curry (I like the Schubert's brand, in little aluminum cans with lids), oregano, basil, dill, onion powder, garlic powder.

Salad dressing (1 person): 1 tbsp white balsamico, 1.5 tbsp olive oil, 0.5 tsp honey (or less), 0.5 tsp salt. Shake and pour over salad (I eyeball everything, so you might need to mix up the amounts to suit your taste)

Salad dressing exquisit (hehe): 1 tbsp red balsamico, 1.5 tbsp pumpkin seed oil, 0.5 tsp salt, add a little honey if you like it sweeter. Warming: the dark green oil and the darkness of the balsamico can make your salad look as if it went bad--it didn't! :)

Tzaziki (goes with everything from dipping veggies, to meat to eating just as is): about 2 tbsp greek yogurt, 1/4 cucumber grated, as much or as little garlic as you like, 2 tsp fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp olive oil. Mix and give it a few hours to sit in the fridge.

BBQ-Sauce (amounts are eyeballed!! You may need to change up for your needs): 3 Tbsp tomato paste, 1 tsp vinegar, garlic to taste, 1 tbsp warm honey, salt, pepper, italian spices and if you have it 3-5 drops of liquid smoke. Mix that up and gradually add water by the tablespoon until you reach desired consistancy. If you like it a bit spicier add some cayenne, fiddle around with spices until you find the taste you like best.

Ketchup (SO EASY!): Tomato paste (depending on how much you want to make, this will keep in the fridge for a week or two), a big blog, maybe half a cup. Add white vinegar (about 3 tbsp, start low and keep adding till you like the taste), a little more honey than vinegar (so maybe 4 tbsp), water to thin it to desired consistency and then your spices: garlic, salt, pepper, onion powder if you have it. If you have lots of ketchup left over, use it as a base for bbq-sauce.

epcooper, try grocery shopping off base. The Europeans don't use HFCS nor is there any GMO food (unless it's imported from the States, and then it has to say it on the package). Wish I was closer, I would take you grocery shopping! But if you look at my food logs, you'll see a lot of the German brands that I use, I try to put in exactly what I eat.

If I researched correctly, you have a REAL (spoken ray-al) in Ansbach. You can get a lot of good things there. You can get just about everything in organic qualtiy in Germany, and it is barely more expensive than convential. I think you'll actually find that groceries are quite cheap here. Germany may be the economical powerhouse, but Germans won't spend lots of money on food and so their food is very inexpensive, but has a very high quality.

Some easy things to look for:
    Frozen:
    -Frosta is a fantastic company. They have committed to as little processing as possible and as fresh and natural ingredients as possible. Find their products in the frozen vegetable section. Stay away of course from the frozen dinner-type stuff (there are usually noodles or rice in them), but they have dozens of different "Gemüsepfannen" or "Gemüsemix", meaning one-pan vegetable dishes and veggie mixes. It says on the front of the bag if they are seasoned "gewürzt" or unseasoned "UNgewürzt". The seasoned ones use a very little bit of natural potato starch (not modified) to thicken the sauce, otherwise they are primal. The unseasoned are just veggies. My favourites are the winter veggies and the German veggie "Deutsche Mix". I eat peas, though...
    -Iglo is another good frozen veggie company, but I only buy unseasoned stuff from them. My favourite is the Feld Frisch (field fresh) variety, I like the "Sommergemüse" (summer vegetables) because the carrots are long thin slices and I HATE frozen carrot chunks. These ones cook up like fresh. But they have lots of other mixes, too. Just keep to the unseasoned veggies and not their other products.

Condiments: The Thomy brand mustard and mayonnaise are good and what I use. There is a tiny little bit of sugar in them, but for my way of thinking better sugar (which in Germany is sugar beet, not corn or cane) is much better than glucose or whatever all the syrups names are. Look for these two prodcuts (they come in practical toothpaste-tubes!!)
    Mayo: http://www.real-drive.de/medias/sys_master/images/productimages/9/932772_1_1_detail.jpg
    Mustard: http://www.saymo.de/images/produkte/i35/35106.jpg
    They both say "delikatess" on them (so not the salat-mayonnaise!)

Not sure if you eat primal (with dairy) or paleo (without), but if you eat yogurt look for Gazi or Kri Kri yogurt with 10% fat. These are really versatile and I use them for tzaziki, in place of sour cream, as yogurt, wonderful frozen for a treat, etc, etc. I buy the 1kg bucket, but they also come in little individual pots.
    Gazi Bucket: http://www.gazi.de/uploads/pics/joghurt_sahne_10.jpg
    Gazi Pot: http://www.gazi.de/uploads/pics/GAZ_0426_Becher_150g_Suezme_w_Internet_01.jpg
    Kri Kri Pot: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-cLhSNN-o43U/TxLrEFRD_6I/AAAAAAAACTc/jMPi-L-bKtU/s1600/Sahnejoghurt-01.jpg
    Also wonderful, Weihenstephan Creme Yogurt (but not drained like greek yogurt, make sure it's 10% fat): http://www.mytime.de/images/products/images200/4503060840_4008452029897_01.jpg.jpg

Look for eggs that are BIO (organic). The come in packs of 6 or 10.

Tomato paste is another good thing to have on hand, and in Germany it comes in practical "toothpaste tubes". If you keep the tube closed the paste will not go bad quickly (I've never had a tube go bad). You will also find "Paprika-Mark" which is a red pepper paste, really great for adding tons of flavour to tomato based dishes (also in a tube). Real has a store brand called TIP, and it is good. They have tomato paste:
    http://www.real-drive.de/medias/sys_master/images/productimages/8/802642_1_1_detail.jpg
    The red pepper paste looks like this:
    http://www.lieferladen.de/media/products/A705198467[900x675].jpg?forceSize=true&forceAspectRatio=true

I'm a big fan of raw milk, and you will find all kinds of wonderful unprocessed raw milk cheeses. Raw milk cheese MUST say it is raw on the package, so look for "ROHMILCH". Most swiss cheeses but especially Gruyère and Mountain Cheese "BERGKÄSE" are delicious.

You will find ground almonds and other ground nuts, as well as dried, unsweetened coconut flakes (mostly unsweetened in Germany) in the baking section. Also a good place to pick up whole walnuts, they are cheaper in the baking section than in the nut section! You can go with the store brand. MANDELN = Almonds, GEMAHLEN=ground (but the packages are see- through, you will be able to tell by looking. HASELNUSS = hazelnut (sounds similar) and WALNUSS = Walnut (also similar).

Remember, though, just because it says BIO on it, doesn't mean it's ok for paleo. Gluten-free stuff is also almost exclusively made with corn starch/flour, so stay away from that.

I just googled and you have a wonderful farm store near you where they raise and slaughter their own animals according to strict BIO laws. They also sell milk, cheese, butter, eggs and other regionally produced things, as well as seasonal specialties (right now they have fresh smoked trout--you have to try it, de-LISH!) They aren't open every day, though:
    Thurs: 8:00 Uhr – 17:00 Uhr
    Fri. 8:00 Uhr – 17:00 Uhr
    Sat.: 8:00 Uhr – 14:00 Uhr

Address:
    Andrea und Hans Linsenbreit
    Obere Hindenburg Str. 18
    91611 Lehrberg
    Tel. 09820-1868
    Web: http://www.lehrbergerhofladen.com/

I'm sure they will speak at least a little English, so I wouldn't worry about the language. I'm sure they will be glad to help you shop, too.

You also have an organic supermarket in Ansbach, I'm not sure how big they are, but you may just be able to get stuff like coconut flour there (COCOSMEHL), nut butters (MANDELMUSS) and plus of course all kinds of organic groceries (cheese, meat, produce)
    Here's the driving directions, I guess they are south of the train station: http://www.bio-witt.de/anfahrt.html

We have family in near Amberg and sometimes go down to visit them. If I'm going down, I'll let you know! Would be so much fun to visit with you!

Hope this helps,
    Stephenie
  • epcooper
    Options
    Oh my gosh, Stephenie! That was the most informative and amazing post I've ever read!! Thank you so much for all that information.

I've been to REAL many, many times (it's literally across the street from my house) and have NEVER been able to find greek yogurt. Now I know exactly what to look for! I also went to Bio Witt this weekend thinking they'd at least have grain-fed beef.....but found no meat there at all. I did pick up some parmesan and dill senf (man, do I love German mustard!), and a really good (i.e. really expensive) olive oil. I've gotten pretty good at reading german food names and labels in the 18 months I've lived here, but I'm still unsure of what would be okay for me to eat and what wouldn't. I didn't find coconut flour or almond flour with all the other flours, unfortunately.

One thing I haven't done in a while is go to the farmer's market. They have one twice a week here, a block from my house, and I know the organic vendors always have the BIO tents up. I was buying the BIO eggs from the market when I first got here, but kind of fell into the habit of just going to the commissary, which is easier and more familiar.

I'll definitely look into visiting the farm in Lehrberg too. I had no idea it was there, and I drive my dog over there 3 days a week for daycare.

Again, thank you so much. You've done more to orient me here than any of the people I've met here so far!
  • lintlin
    Options
    Glad I could help!

I order my grass-fed beef from a farmer who sells over Ebay (weird, I know, but they don't have a webpage). It is amazing quality, they send it with lots of little frozen bottles of water and the water bottles are always still frozen when I get the shipment. Very, very cheap, too--about €8/kg. I buy the 6-7kg package and have never been disappointed. I also order their sausages (BOCKWURST).

The only drawback is that the 4th box (they pack in 4 boxes to insulate) really, really smells like a farm. My cat LOVES the boxes when they come LOL

http://stores.ebay.de/derhoflieferanthochmoor

You can also get coconut flour and coconut butter over ebay. I get my coconut flour in my bio market, but the coconut butter I order through this ebay shop:
    http://stores.ebay.at/wellnatur?keyword=kokos

Coconut flour seems expensive, but you only need a little because it sucks up liquid like a sponge. Love the stuff.