Do you set the big goal of 100 pounds to lose, or smaller go

Options
Kristy713ckm
Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
When I joined this group, I knew those that have 100 or more pounds to love have a different perspective, than those who need to lose 5, 10 or even 50 pounds. It can seem overwhelming. I've been reading Made to Crave by Lysa Turkehurst, and Chantel Hobb's books including Love Good & Live Well, and the One Day Way. It's pretty much doing this One Day At A Time.

How are other people managing this? Are you setting small goals, medium goals and/or the whole goal before you?

Do you put it on paper (and put it around the house) ?

PS: How comfortable are you with sharing your DIARY? I'm just not up to people seeing how much I snack or the bad food choices I still often make.

Replies

• AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I chose to set my goal at the full amount - 147 lbs total. I used to feel horrid about it being so much, but MFP is such a nice environment (generally!). I was a bit afraid of the mental effect of accomplishing 50 lbs lost and then having to "start all over".... I've been happy with it - plus I like looking at the year history and watching it go down down down :)

In my Profile, I put some smaller goals so they'd be in my face - rewards along the way like... new cell phone, or other gadgetry, and so on. Gotta make it fun, ya know?!

I left my Food/Exercise diary private for a long, long time. Then I made it open to Friends Only.. now I think it's open to all MFP accounts... I'm not even sure.

It is what it is. I have great days, and not-so-good days (like yesterday!!) but ... it just is. And if anyone gets hatefully snarky, there's always the "block" button :)
  • Kristy713ckm
    Kristy713ckm Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks Sheryl.... I set out DAILY goals last week (drink more water, don't stanck in the afternoon, MOVE every afternoon, keep dinner at or below 500 calories). But I think fitting into clothes I'd grown out of are my medium goals. And then of court, my 60 pounds is my initial big goal. I have over 100 pounds to lose if I truly meet my goal, But sixty would get me to my smallest adult weight. I'd be HAPPY with that, and fit in ALL my clothes that I currently own! :) Where at in Ohio are you? I like your profile information. : )
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    I'm down in the southwest corner, near Cincinnati. I moved here 27 yrs ago (YE GADS) from my beloved West Virginia... I'm 49 so that means I've lived longer as a buckeye than a mountain girl. Something is just not right about that! *ponders ...

How about you, where are located?

I'm happy to "pal up" if you want to shoot me a friend request ... I should warn you though, I'm chatty :)
  • tearose4
    tearose4 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, do you mean on MFP or in your own head? On MFP, and at TOPS (The weight-loss support group I attend weekly in real life) my stated goal is actually 195 pounds below my starting weight of January 2011.

But in my mind, I have a lot of milestones to work toward along the way. The first 10, 20, 25, 30 pounds were huge. The first 10% of my total body weight was huge. (from what I have heard, 10% is generally accepted as a number which marks significance in weight reduction.) my one-year mark, my 50 pound mark, 75 mark, are all substantial and worthy of rejoicing.

Additionally, I have a simple goal every week to NOT GAIN. Whenever I meet that, I know I am making progress toward all the other goals. I think it's important to find things to be happy about whenever possible! :bigsmile:
  • OKfreebird
    OKfreebird Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hello. I know how losing 100+ lbs can be overwhelming and may seem like a big number to lose. My heaviest was at 273 lbs and the ligtest I had every been was170 lbs( I am 5'10). So, what I do is make 170 lbs my ultimate goal weight but use small goals to get there. Small goals can range from changing your eating habits one day at a time such as day one eating more fruits and vegetables and sticking with it and on day two quit drinking soda and drink more water instead. Another type of small goal I do is losing weight at 5 lbs intervals. For example, when I was 265 lbs I shot for 260 lbs and once I hit the 260 lb mark, I shot for 255 lbs and so on. I do that to keep myself motivated and to stick with it.
    I also take pictures of myself every time I lose 10 lbs and compare it with my heavier pictures and see a visual of my progress. I also have a poster of pictures of people who inspire me and use it as a motivator. I even read stories of people who were in the same spot as you and I are in right now for inspiration. MFP is a great tool to help check your progress and the easiest program I had ever used to log in food and exercise in a journal.
    To share your food journal is totally up to you. If you know you still struggle with good eating habits or staying active and are a bit embarassed to share it, you don't have to show it. I had made progress since January but every now and then, but I still do struggle. Just remind yourself, that if you fall off the track, get yourself back on it as soon as you can.
    Anyway, I hope my advice works for you and good luck on your weight loss journey.
    Rachel
  • kristymarie212
    Options
    Hi everyone! How are you? My name is Kristy. I am looking to lose at least 100 lbs. I am looking forward to being on this journey with all of you and making new friends. Anyone care to share any tips??

Kristy
  • chubbytiff
    chubbytiff Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Most people will say that set small goals. Well that doesnt really work for me. I know that 10% of my body weight still doesnt put me anywhere close to a healthy weight. I just went for the long term goal. I also am not feeling the whole letting everyone see the bad choices that I make with my eating. I try hard but sometimes I mess up and I feel bad enough about it and cant let the world know everytime I have a peanut butter egg or another boo boo. :blushing:
  • Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I set up my MFP goal to be the weight that I think is ideal or just a few pounds above ideal. I will make that final decision when I get there if I want to try for more. My initial goal is to lose 150 pounds. I try to create other mini-goals along the way to help motivate me. They are stepping stones to the final achievement.

Yesterday, I reached my halfway point! :drinker: 75 pounds lost. This is a major milestone for me and I am super excited about it.

I have two other milestones coming up shortly. The next one is to reach ONEderland and the one after that is to get my BMI below the "obese" category. Having those sub-goals is helpful when I am deciding whether to snack on a chocolate bar or carrot sticks and hummus. I like keeping my diary public because the accountability helps me stay on track.
  • AlmstHvn
    Options
    Pangui said:
    Yesterday, I reached my halfway point! :drinker: 75 pounds lost. This is a major milestone for me and I am super excited about it.

AWEsome!!! I'm excited about it, too!
  • ShrinkRapt451
    ShrinkRapt451 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I set the big goal, but I don't have a firm goal weight in mind, nor a timeline. I have an approximate goal weight, and the principle that so long as the general trend is down, I'm good. Takes a lot of the pressure off. I do set monthly goals, usually fitness related. I aim for a few pounds lost per month, and so far am making it. As for the diary, I have it open for friends.

Honestly, the biggest difference for me is that, for the first time ever, I am taking direct responsibility for what goes in my mouth, and what kind of physical fitness activity I do. That makes a much bigger impact for me than the size of the goal. I've met many very big goals before in other aspects of my life, so big goals don't intimidate me. :)
  • mahlerosa
    Options
    I have the big goal on MFP...But in my head I want to hit 30 lost...then to get under 300. First 2 goals. I have never said that out loud. I am horrified by it. But it is what it is and I will get there.
  • v_snowdrop
    Options
    nevermind
  • HardmanP
    HardmanP Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    My MFP is set for my BIG goal, however my first goal is about 25 lbs, I can't wait to get down below the weight I was after my youngest son was born first.. Then my next goal will be to get below 200. Then, my next goal will be to get down to 165, this is where I was on my wedding day. My last small goal will be to get to 135, I don't ever remember being this small, except for maybe in Junior High School, eek!
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I set the big goal on my ticker etc but I have the smaller daily and weekly goals that i strive for that keep me going when I am having a fight with the scales. Between those and MFP I have not given up yet I think this is the longest and healthiest non-diet change I have ever made :)