The Importance of Form - Do you ever lift barefoot?

Options
So, I'm nearly complete stage one and feeling really good about my progression. I have noticed that my knees are feeling the stresses of lifting and did a double take on my form, it looks good, so I'm wondering if it's my shoes. So, I did a test at home and was able to squat much more easily while barefoot! It was so much easier to press the weight through my whole foot and heal, rather than trying so hard not to roll forward on the toes (which I never do btw).

What kind of shoes do you wear while lifting? Anyone else lift barefoot? What are your tips for perfecting form? Others with knee issues, what are your thoughts? Any other tips to contribute?

Thanks!

Replies

• RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    I think I'd love to lift barefoot (for squats & dead lifts) but my gym requires shoes :(. Right now I wear Nike Free Run just because those are the closest minimalist shoes I have. I plan on getting some super thin flexible shoes one day...if I can find exactly what I'm looking for.

Oh, to add I do believe shoes have a lot to do with your knee trouble. I think the heel makes you lean inward thus your knee could be in a ever so slightly different position (but I'm not a dr, my bank account says so...so im pretty much just guessing :laugh: )
  • shayoni
    shayoni Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Actually I started lifting in my socks at the gym as my weights got heavier. I lift in my vibram fivefingers now, so I definitely prefer barefoot. At the very least you need a flat shoe.
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm using my running shoes (New Balance Minimus Zero Road), but I've been told more than once that some of the best basic shoes for lifting are a gool ol' pair of Chucks. You really need to feel that floor under ya. :smile:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I wear my running shoes now, but when I was power lifting (in 3 and 4 hundreds), I would wear wrestling shoes or throwing shoes (which are perfectly flat, and smooth). Lots of professionals wear chucks though...
  • hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I nearly always lift barefoot, did go to a gym for a while that wouldn't allow it & didn't seem to have any problems lifting with trainers. My preference is just in socks though.
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, so I'm barefoot once in awhile. I'll have to pay more attention to the difference it makes and report back.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I, too, wear minimalist running shoes (Saucony Kinvaras) to lift. I generally warm up on the treadmill walking/running, so it works well for me. They have no padding or "heel lift."
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I lift in my socks. I'm a little wary of dudes with dumbells next to me, just in case they suffer failure and have to drop those suckers.

I do it for everythings legs except lunge type exercises. And I DEFINITELY know the running shoes I was using for cardio were killing my knees. I've started wearing my super old cross trainers again and it's like I have sturdy knee again! :)
  • tchrmom04
    tchrmom04 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am in Stage 4 (just started) and when I do the Bulgarian Split squat - I take my shoes off and do it in my socks. Someone on this board gave me that hint and I thought it was weird - during STage 2. But I tried it this time and my form was so much better! :) I'm definitely doing it that way each time now. Your foot has to be "face down" on the bench - and it is so much easier in socks versus my tennis shoes.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    I wear Converse Chuck Taylors, a totally flat shoe that is as close to barefoot as you can get. I see a few guys at my gym lift in their socks. You definitely don't want to wear shoes with an arch in them while you're lifting.
  • girlie100
    girlie100 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    you will definately get better form with a solid base under your feet instead of your heel compressing into a squishy trainer. Definately recomend either converse or bare foot or if your gym has a mat/padded floor in the weight area some weightlifting shoes will help as they have a wood heel in them to stop the compression :)
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    We're not allowed to be barefoot in the weight room in either or the gyms I go to, it's a safety thing. Converse have a nice flat thin sole, I hear wrestling shoes are also good for lifting.
  • MotherGoddess
    MotherGoddess Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I also lift (and run, and walk everywhere) in my Vibram FiveFingers. They rock. It's pretty much the only shoe I own, so I didn't really give it any thought when I started lifting. Oh, I do own a pair of flip flops, but I'd never wear them to the gym. VFF's it is then. :)
  • NewInnerStrength
    NewInnerStrength Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just an update here, I went barefoot last night and was able to squat with an additional 30#!!! I was THAT much more stable.

Who needs shoes anyways?
  • twinkletoes66
    twinkletoes66 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I lift in merrel barefoots they are ace x