vision

Hi! I was diagnosed with diabetes 10 days ago. I have no idea what I should be eating or how long my vision problems will last. I'm wondering if anyone in the group has any advice for me. My eye dr said he will see me in 3 months...i hope its not going to take that long before i can see again. My dr went on vacation after she gave me the diagnosis and the nutritionist the dr referred me to 10 days ago has not returned my call. Im sure by now i probably have high blood pressure too since my vision is so bad that it is really stressing me out. Thanks for any advice.

Replies

• I have type 2 diabetes...I am insulin dependant I only take insulin at night with an injector pen...very simple.. your having
    Vision problems? I have had vision problems but not from diabetes. I had cataracts from taking prednisone and had them
    removed.. Getting your eyes checked is something you have to do as a diabetic...try not to worry...you said you were referred
    To a.nutritional counselor...they should of been able to help you with your diet. You should have a diet higher in protein and
    Lower in carbohydrates..as carbohydrates turn to sugar and that increases your sugar level. Did they recommend a blood sugar
    Monitor? You should have a check up with your doctor every 3 months till your A1C blood test is within normal limits for diabetes
    Which is 7.0....if you can exercise, eat healthy and lose weight if you need too that is half the battle. Your heart is a muscle and
    needs to be exercised...Heart disease, strokes and diabetes run hand in hand along with high blood pressure.. Excercise will make a great difference along with a health diet. I don't know if you drink soda if you do the best thing to do is get it out of your life...that will make a huge difference..Juice, try to eat the fruit instead of the juice. Have your dentist do a check up on your teeth..I know it seems like a lot...but You are the only You, you have. There are a lot of people living with diabetes and you can do it and do it well. I would call your doctor and ask when he would like to see you again...You can do this...you may be able to reverse it with diet and exercise. I can't say it enough..exercise is so important...it makes you feel better as well.:smile:
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Yes, take some time to understand what is going on with your body and try to relax. You have the power to change your situation. Read as much as you can. There are lots of websites out there-Diabetes 101 is good. Google it and take a look

Be Well,

Mari D