new to low carb - dinner ideas? :)

Options
xMillyLouisex
xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
okay sooo im a carb junkie but im also a crash dieter - bit of a train wreck really lol, but when i have cut carbs out before ive seen a big difference, but ive never gone as far on low carb as in cutting out the foods that arnt obvious carbs - pasta, bread etc.. so dont know wt i can or cant eat,
would love it if someone could enlighten me as i would love to be more clued up as ive really seen results on this one - and ive just changed mygoals so im only having 15% carbs (i think it said 38g) bt obvi id already had brekfast (yogurt mixed with a sprinkle of dried oats) and have almost filled my carb intake up (20-something gs comsumed) so what can i have for lunch and dinner today that wont take me over? it sounds a bit impossible?

cant wait to hear ur feedback!

:) x

Replies

• Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Hi & Welcome :o)

Check out this thread- it's where myself (and many other members of this group) post their daily menus/meals

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/436710-whats-on-your-menu-today

This will give you some inspiration. Also try this site:

http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/

or

http://yourlighterside.com/your-lighter-side-cookbook/

They give the carb counts on these sites per recipe/ per portion so you can choose something that fits how many carbs you have left.

My staples for when I dont have many carbs left are: (all below 8g NET carbs for the meal)

-Steak topped with blue cheese served with spinach or rocket salad

- Gammon, eggs & mushrooms

- Chicken wrapped in bacon, stuffed with cheese served with rocket & parmesan salad.

- 'Breakfast' for dinner- eggs, bacon, sausage & mushrooms.

- Cheese & Ham omlette

- Tuna melt omlette (Tuna & cheese)

- Grilled salmon or tuna with lemon & herbs with sauteed courgette & salad leaves

- Greek salad with lamb skewers

- Pizza omlette- omlette stuffed (or topped) with pepperoni, mozarella, ham & a bit of tomato paste
  • christie5683
    Options
    Good thoughts...thanks!
  • xMillyLouisex
    Options
    ahh u r a star!! mmm all those meals sound delish aswel!!

ive bought chicken for tonight so that bacon wrapped stuffed chicken sounds so yummy im guna do that i think! :)

thanku for all the links etc uve been so helpful! xx
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    laura_beau posted a good link for ideas. I usually just have protein & veggies. I make extra so I have some for lunches.

Anything wrapped in bacon has to be good! :)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Everything with bacon in it IS good! LOL!
  • donkarlitos
    donkarlitos Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    A grilled Ribeye with some broccoli and butter. Sooooo goood.
  • icanhaztp
    icanhaztp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The blog I Breathe I'm Hungry (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/) has tons and tons of great low-carb recipes. We have the cookbook too, it's great.
  • cramernh
    Options
    A grilled Ribeye with some broccoli and butter. Sooooo goood.

NOW we're talkin' dirty!!!!!!!!!!! :tongue:
  • xMillyLouisex
    Options
    mmmm steak nd bacon.. u wouldnt believe we could get away with that on a diet would u, love it love it love it!!
  • Just1Kiki
    Just1Kiki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MisChef
    MisChef Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    it's always interesting to me to look at others' food journals.

even though I'm a chef, my own meals have been pretty simple. 6oz meat + some low carb vegetable + butter/sourcream/whatever.

also the thing that's been saving my life, when encountering boring baked chicken or pork, has been zatarain's seasoning.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Tonight I'm making curry chicken. Saute onions and whatever other veggies you might want (I'm doing zucchini) in the butter or oil. Remove veggies from pan. Add 1-2 tablespoons curry powder and let the spices cook for a couple minutes. Add a can of coconut milk and bring to simmer. Cook chunked up chicken breast in the sauce as it gently simmers. Return veggies to pan and heat through.
  • cramernh
    Options
    it's always interesting to me to look at others' food journals.

even though I'm a chef, my own meals have been pretty simple. 6oz meat + some low carb vegetable + butter/sourcream/whatever.

also the thing that's been saving my life, when encountering boring baked chicken or pork, has been zatarain's seasoning.

I still wear my checks!!!!! I am rather fond of my Berry chef pants!!!! LOL!!! I worked two industries for almost 16 years in case one fell through and had a backup with the other. I miss the chaos of a busy kitchen... so I make up for it at home! LOL!

Ive got some seasoning rubs that are KILLER on some lamb or pork ribs.... I never have leftovers!
  • katidid213
    katidid213 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Curry chicken is a go-to staple for me. curry powder, sour cream, butter, and garlic. I cook brussel sprouts on the side.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Fellow reformed carb monster and crash dieter here :)

I'm on about 15% carbs too, tops.

I'm having spicy diced beef (cayenne pepper being the main spice) cooked with spinach and mixed in with some leafy greens today.

I find I need to keep the fats high (65% daily is my goal) to really kick on so I cook in 100% animal fat, which helps :)

I also chug coconut oil if I'm a bit short of fat. It sounds counter-intuitive for weight-loss but it supports the metabolism and won't be heading for the fat stores due to it's molecular structure.

Meat, fish, eggs, leafy greens, some cheese (I'm weaning myself off) ... that's about me. :)
  • FitBrunette
    FitBrunette Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm really big on getting my protein in first and if I have room left over, then I will have some leafy greens. But I primarily will make top sirloin steak, chicken breast, fish, shrimp, turkey -- stuff like that. Cheese also somehow will make itself into my meals as well.
  • cramernh
    Options
    There is something sexy about a compound butter melting on top of a big fat juicy steak. Or, the silky goodness of bleu-cheese as it softens on a freshly grilled breast of chicken...

Damnit thats sexy!
  • caraiselite
    caraiselite Posts: 2,631 Member
    Options
    The blog I Breathe I'm Hungry (http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/) has tons and tons of great low-carb recipes. We have the cookbook too, it's great.

YES!

check out the cream cheese pancakes. i promise you will love them.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Curry chicken is a go-to staple for me. curry powder, sour cream, butter, and garlic. I cook brussel sprouts on the side.

Oh I'll have to keep that in mind when I want to make curry and am out of coconut milk! I grated a whole yellow squash into the curry last night and it kinda just melted into the sauce and helped thicken it.
  • AKosky585
    AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Last night my hubby and I had steak (0 carbs) with baked Kale chips with parmesan and olive oil baked onto them (4 NET carbs I think) It was sooo yummy!