how many calories does stress burn?

Options
Driving_206
Driving_206 Posts: 10 Member
I'd love to know how many calories I burned today. I'm a driving instructor for 15-16 year olds. Today I took a student on the freeway for his first time. I kept my voice calm and light as I grabbed the wheel when he drifted out of his lane, talked him through merging when he was going 40 mph while the traffic was 60 and used my brake when traffic stopped in front of us abruptly and he froze. When the drive was over I was brain-fried and super hungry. Can I get exercise credit for this?

Replies

• Cheryl1609
    Options
    sounds like your heart was pumping pretty fast at times..cardio?
  • Driving_206
    Options
    Maybe cardio, but I wonder if I can claim cardio when I'm sitting still even though my muscles and brain are on high-alert. Hmmm.
  • mbdoordie2012
    Options
    Isn't that called isometrics? :wink:
  • Maeiowa
    Maeiowa Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Not sure how many calories you burned but I will say a prayer for your safety!!! I taught school for 33 years BUT I would never be a driver's education teacher!! Glad there are people like you though!!! Have a great evening and BE SAFE!!!
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you burned - but I am sure your blood pressure was up and heart pumping fast! GOD Bless you!
  • Driving_206
    Options
  • hiawathaperez
    hiawathaperez Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    grrrl if stress burned calories....I wouldn't be on MFP.....ha ha ha.

The freeway seriously. Back in the olden days they took us out on country roads.

Kudos, you are a very very very brave person.

Keep calm.
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am personally awarding you 1000 bonus calories for hazard pay! PS I learned to merge when my brother rolled his eyes and said "Just try and catch up with that car in front of you!" He was so calm, years later we are on a road trip in Cal., Im driving,hes napping. As I got into the hills there are fire crews on both sides and smoke (grass fires). Being from rainy Washington, I nervously say "Umm, the hills are on fire." He opens one eye, looks, closes it again, and says "Wake me up when the truck is on fire."