Just joined the gym starting Monday! SCARED!

Options
Daisy80
Daisy80 Posts: 755 Member
Oh oh the time has finally come. I have been reading online so much about NROLFW, then I read the book followed by reading even more online. Now I have just been to join a gym and booked a trainer to go with me through the moves on Monday.
But now I am really scared! The gym I have joined is mixed and it is tiny. All the machines including treadmill etc are facing the small free weight section. I am just scared to look like a fool. And I am just worried that I'll be intimated by the men and women in there. I feel so concious about myself being overweight etc. I love the idea of the program and reading all about it but now it is becoming reality I am really scared.

Did anyone else feel like that? I am glad to have a trainer for myself that will show me all the moves properly but still!

Is anybody else starting on Monday?

Any input would be appreciated!

Daisy

Replies

• holleysings
    holleysings Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Honestly, you just have to get over other people looking at you. Ignore them and focus on what you're doing. I started NROL4W a few weeks ago and it's a great program. I felt self-conscious lifting alone at first, so I went with my mom the first time. But I got over it and go by myself almost all the time! Remember that everyone has to start somewhere and at one point, every person in that gym was a lifting virgin. You can do it!
  • RUNN3Rmom
    RUNN3Rmom Posts: 441
    Options
    Remember that everyone has to start somewhere and at one point, every person in that gym was a lifting virgin. You can do it!

I concur!!!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you ladies! I am lookin forward to it but at the same time I am scared. Hopefully it'll be better after the first day!
  • chicbuc
    chicbuc Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    You'll do great, and you'll love it!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I DID IT! Yay! I am so happy! I was so scared to go to the gym today but I did go and it was great! The trainer was a really nice guy and was happy to show me all the stage 1 exercises. I was so nervous and shy at the beginning but soon felt ok and I really enjoyed the exercises! I loved it. Yes there were a couple of guys and yes they looked but it wasn't uncomfortable. I felt quite proud being there doing it! I probably will be a bit nervous again next time around but I can do it! And it felt good really to be the only girl in the weight section while all the others were suffering on the treadmill!

So to all the other girls that might worry- don't! Just go and do it and you will be glad you did it. I feel it will not just make me stronger physically but also me because I have to come out of my comfort zone and won't hide anymore!
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    GOOD FOR YOU DAISY!!
    Glad you got it over with and are feeling comfortable now :-)
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you! I am so glad I went. I am sure I'd still be a bit nervous next time but I know I can do it!
  • jenniet04
    jenniet04 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!! So glad you enjoyed it. The more you get in there and just do it, the less nervous you will be!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I agree it gets a lot easier over time!

My gym also has cardio machines on an upper level that look down on the free weight area, so I get paranoid about people watching me too, but even if they do think I look foolish, I don't really care what they think anyway. :happy:
  • Daisy80
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! The people on the treadmill did not bother me as much. They probably thought I am weird but I felt good as I am not spending hours running! It is more the muscle men that intimidate me but hey at least I am working out!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! The people on the treadmill did not bother me as much. They probably thought I am weird but I felt good as I am not spending hours running! It is more the muscle men that intimidate me but hey at least I am working out!

I've started to enjoy when the gym is full of muscle men. I'm more comfortable with them than most of the women in the free weights. Not sure why, but they seem friendlier IMO.
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I think we were all nervous the first time. I felt comfortable by my 5th workout. Now I put my headphones on and tune everyone out! I love it!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I was certainly as nervous as you the first time - and did the same, asked a trainer to show me through the moves. Of course, then I had a hand injury that meant I couldn't even START for another 8 weeks so had pretty much forgotten all.

I try and just get on with it. I'm only on about my 4th workout of S1 but Monday was the first time I had seenanother woman in the free weights area. My gym has the free weights downstairs away from everything else so the only people who can look are in the room itself. I do have to walk through the cardio area to get to other bits of equipment so it's not ideal.

I found somehow I was less self-conscious once I started putting weights onto the bar. I hope to be able to smile at my fellow lifters soon and actually be friendly to them because I'm sure they're nice really!!!!!
  • Daisy80
    Options
    I haven't been back to the gym since the trainer showed me around but tomorrow will be my 2nd time. The thing is that I am changing my gym and so have to start again. I went there today to have a look around and there some pretty muscly guys in there. I felt really awkward as I was in my normal day clothes and wondering about in between all those guys working out.

I will just do the same as in my first gym. Get a trainer to show me the moves again. I just feel more confident going in with a trainer at first. Also I have never used a squat rack before infact I have seen one for the first time today. It looks quite scary :wink:

I am excited to get properly started :smile: