the trap got me!!!!

Options
mfisher16508
mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
March 14th has come and gone with a blur, 70 lbs gone and I fell into the trap of complacency, yup me, the girl who said I wouldnt get lazy welp that was a big fat lie I told myself. My journey has not been one without complications, 4 EGDS and strretches later I am able to eat food, there are days my tummy is just tight so I stick with liquids, one of those liquids happened to be wine, almost a bottle every 2 days, and on a good day a whole freakin bottle, no wonder I am still the same weight I was last month, wine is evil, lol....but I caught on real quick, and wine lost, I won, and will persevere, I didnt alter my insides for NO reason now did I?? nope nosireee bob!! My mom fell ill last week and passed out, was taken by ambulance to ER and placed in ICU ona ventilator, 1 week later she came home with a 2nd chance, when I was in the ER with her I thought she was going to die, she had pulmonary edema (fluid on her lungs) and was diagnosed with congestive heart failure, so now I am her caregiver at home in addidtion to my full time RN job at the hospital. I was stressed, wine was there.
SO last night I drank my last glass of wine for awhile, a bit in moderation is fine, but I went overboard. I startted the gym today and a few days ago I started couck 2 five k and have been loving it, me the one who hated running actually enjoys each day, if my legs are super sore I rest a day, and I dont dwell on it, rest is GOOD!
I am logging my food again, concentrating on my protein and vitamins and getting my exercise on.

I hope I can help one person stay away from this trap that we can all fall into. it was kinda scary but now all is well.

How is everyone doing?? I need to cath up.

Mary

Replies

• Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So glad you are getting back on "the program". I also loved (notice the past tense) my wine before my Gastric Bypass. However, the unbelievably high risk of cirrhosis and the correlation of people substituting one addiction (food) for another (alcohol) keeps me away. What I have learned to do when I really want wine, like once a week maybe, is to take a once ounce shot glass, fill it with wine and sip. Since we metabolize it 5 x faster than before, one ounce is like 5. Its not the perfect solution, but works for me.
  • TL0105
    TL0105 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your post! I, too, have felt that I have become complacent. Certainly not something I wanted to do, nor something I ever dreamed I would do..but life happens. I am just back from vacation, and although I worked hard to eat the right things, I know there were times that I gave in and ate the wrong things. I have been discontent with my weightloss which made me really turn and look at my diet and what I have or haven't been doing. It's time to get back on track. I must remember that this is a TOOL and not a miracle. I am embarassed that I fell off after been given such an opportunity. Again, thank you for posting....
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    NO thanks needed, it can happen to all of us, remember the road is paved with good intentions, things just dont always go as planned. BUT we were smart enough to realize this and have gotten back on track, so hats off to us!!!
  • Susann1963
    Susann1963 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    So true!!!
  • pjmcinnis
    pjmcinnis Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So glad to hear that you're back on track. Parents with illness is no fun at all and those trips to ER can really mess you up. Make sure you get some respite help with her, because (and as a nurse you should know this), if you don't take care of yourself then you can't take care of anyone else. I find the worst part to be that in worrying and caring for others you can inadvertantly miss meals, miss your vitamins and all that.

God Bless and keep you...
  • gspea
    gspea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I will refer back to thisvasbi am pretty sure I will find this pattern sometime in my journey.
  • Napjeeper
    Options
    Awesome, welcome back to your program! I think we all fall off the band wagon at some point, that's why having this place to remind us of our goals makes it that much more important. :) Good luck!