The zone

Options
So I have fallen off the paleo wagon. Majority of my meals are paleo though so I guess that is better than nothing?!

Anyways, I started crossfit and fell in love. I follow a lot of crossfit blogs. One in particular, has a post on the zone and paleo. The zone being how much you eat and paleo being what you eat. I ordered the book from amazon for 4 bucks and have been reading it.

It has macros at 40/30/30 c/p/f. On mfp, the grams are a bit over what my calculations from the formula in the book is. Mine are 117/94/19.5.

My main question is does anyone in here follow the zone for how much you should eat? Has it been successful for you? Is it hard?

Replies

• coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    The zone was actually the original diet that CrossFitters followed. However its kind of hard. Jennifer Aniston made it very popular a long time ago and I bought the book and tried to follow it but gave up. Unless I followed the menu in the book I got lost.
    I'm sure if you can understand it and relate it to your life then it would work and be healthy.
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I didn't specifically do the Zone, but I've eaten 40 carbs / 30 fat / 30 protein for a long time now, and had great success. I found it really easy to follow. I just recently (this week) started Paleo - mostly because I wanted to tighten up on my carbs for a while, just to see how my body reacts. Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, crossfit initially promoted the zone, as many gym nutritionists do. But then Robb Wolf started the Paleo craze within the crossfit subculture and it just spread. Then Wolf and crossfit HQ had some sort of spat so the "official" recommendation is for zone.

I tried zone for about one week and decided tracking blocks was a PITA. It makes sense as a balanced diet if you can follow it, but I refer Primal personally.
  • nursevee
    nursevee Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I do paleo zone. I started this because I was recovering from an injury, couldn't workout a whole lot and needed to control my diet. It's not really that tough when you get used to it. I had a worksheet with allowable zone measurements (it'll be in a packing box somewhere, I've just moved) which i'll look for. It's really only measurements and portion because paleo is fairly easy. It's been really great for me.
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    I'm in my first week and I'm getting the hang of it. It does take some getting use to, but once you get it down I think it's very easy. For me the struggle was the amount of food, which was the whole reason I started, I was not eating enough. It's really helped me focus on the amount of quality whole foods. Today I totally looked forward to my monster of a lunch. I've been paleo for a year now and it fits so nicely in the zone. That has def made things easier.
  • karagetsfit
    Options
    Thanks guys! I plan to start Monday after I go grocery shopping. I am looking forward to it.