Stuck - Need advice

Options
loricolwill
loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
I started the program on April 30. I'm currently in stage 4....and I'm stuck.

I have lost no weight...none. I have fluctuated by about 3 lbs, but I weigh the same as when I started. But more importantly, I have lost no significant inches since stage 1.

My goal for this program is to lose inches and body fat, in stage 1 I did. But nothing really since then.

Currently I have my calories set to 1750. This is approx a 300 calorie cut. But realistically I'm eating anywhere from 1650 to 2000. It just depends on the day. And I don't count my exercise calories, which are usually 300-500 M- F. I also know that I have lots of room to clean up my diet, which I am going to start on immediately.

A couple of differences between my program in stage one and now. In stage 1, I lifted 3xs a week and did only very light cardio on my off days. But I was really tired. Now I lift twice a week, do my HIITs on the treadmill one day, with either BWM or additional treadmill time, I'm currently doing a kickboxing class once a week, and while I have been neglecting this lately, I want to get back to a endurance run once a week. Also in stage 1 I tried to eat the calories suggested in the book, with no deficit, but found it hard to eat at that level without adding in higher calorie alternatives, just to up the number.

So....my question is where do I go from here? No matter if I never lose another inch or pound, I won't stop lifting, because I love it. But it would be nice to see some results from all the effort. :-)

So do I stick with the 1750 for a few weeks, and clean up my diet and see if that helps? Do I go back to 3xs a week lifting and cardio only two days? Do I increase or decrease my calories? I really just don't know where to go from here to get things moving in the right direction.

Oh BTW, I'm 5'4", currently weigh 145, and have a BF% of approx 30%+ depending on what tool/calculator I use. My waist measures 34.5 in, which is what I truly want to reduce.

Replies

• hypallage
    hypallage Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I can't offer any advice but I'm in a similar place (apart from weighing 20lb more than you) so interested in any responses you get.
  • PLUMSGRL
    PLUMSGRL Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    My guess is that you're not eating enough to fuel your body, so it's holding on to everything it can. The more cardio you do, the more calories your body will require. So adding more (unless you REALLY love it) will up your calorie requirments. Also, are you eating enough protein? I can't give you much advise on your diet since your diary's not open. But make sure you eat at least LBW in gms of protein (if LBW=!!%, then 115 gms protein). How's your sodium intake? And fats (you need them to increase your metabolism, think hormone and Vit A, D, E transport)? And yes eat calorie dense foods; full fat yogurt, olive oil and coconut oil, nuts, avocados, whole grain or higher protein pastas, sweet potatoes. Look at other people's diaries for ideas.
  • Kmsnomaha
    Kmsnomaha Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Bump. I am curious what others have to say.
  • TheFunBun
    TheFunBun Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I would clean up your diet and maybe just bring your calories back up - you said you had some changes in stage one, and you were eating more, so maybe you're one of those people who underestimates their activity level. :)

I know whenever I'm like, "Man, nothing has changed" it's because I'm stuffing my face with carbs. LOL. There's this article floating around called 8 reasons why your weight training results suck - so give that a check and see if you're suckin' in those ways. :)
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Well I think the author would say you should try doing the program just as the book states, which would mean cutting out the cardio and focus on lifting and increasing your weights, getting enough protien, and fueling your body. Your muscles may not be getting the rest they need if you aren't truly resting between workouts. One week I added in one cardio workout, a interval training class (50 minutes) at my gym. The next three days I was sooooo physically tired, I didn't even want to walk around. So no more cardio for me, I'm going to stick to the program and the calorie suggestion for 6 weeks then evaluate where I'm at. Also, when I added that cardio I ate the cardio calories back and was STILL tired for 3 days! The most important part of the program is the rest we give our muscles after the workouts. I know it can be hard to step away from the cardio, but its not working for you, so let it go for right now and pay attention to your body. If you're hungry.. eat more. Push yourself each workout, and get that protein! Good luck!
  • Polly758
    Polly758 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Also in stage 1 I tried to eat the calories suggested in the book, with no deficit, but found it hard to eat at that level without adding in higher calorie alternatives, just to up the number.

I did the exact same! ...except I drank beer. Yeah, I'm doing it for my health.

Luckily I got out of that habit. I've been doing the program for about the same time as you, with similar results. I can sortof see some change in my body, but measurements and weight staying the same.

Just this week I've tightened up my diet-- I split my calories up over 6 meals and split my macros fairly evenly as well. So a) I should be getting all my protein, and b) that will give my body lots to work with all day, just in case I've been sabotaging my workouts by my eating habits. Sorry I don't have any results to share (yet) but I have been reading a lot about weightlifting and that's one thing I keep coming across-- especially if you are trying to gain muscle but burn fat at the same time. It can be tough to get the numbers right but I figure if I stick with this for a month it'll either work or not by then.

Maybe you could try that...

And I'd also recommend laying off the cardio, at least to see if that makes a difference. Good luck!
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    I don't usually look at other people's food journals, but I'd also try eating back some exercise calories, and make sure you're getting enough protein.
  • loricolwill
    loricolwill Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm going to increase my calories and attempt to increase my protein. Is it even possible to meet your protein goal without protein shakes and/or powders?
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I'm going to increase my calories and attempt to increase my protein. Is it even possible to meet your protein goal without protein shakes and/or powders?

I'm sure it's possible, but VERY hard. I drink a shake after most workouts (always after lifting), and sometimes even have a Luna Protein bar for a snack, and it's still tough.
  • perfect10isha
    perfect10isha Posts: 200 Member
    Options

I've rarely hit my protein macro without a protein shake. It is possible, but for me it just takes a lot of effort and even then I still need my protein shake (some days 2 scoops). I usually need a high protein breakfast (eggs and sausage), a good serving of meat for lunch (fresh sliced deli meat typically) and dinner, greek yogurt, and 1 scoop of protein powder. When I make the effort to eat enough protein I usually hit my calorie numbers as well.