Hypo & a scale that won't budge

Options
rashmirao74
rashmirao74 Posts: 14 Member
Hello fellow hypo's
I have been on MFP for less than 20 days now. Working hard and counting what I eat for the past 30 days or so, however the scale has hardly budged. All the weight loss books and sites state that when a deficit of 3500 cals is created, the body loses 1 pound of fat. How come that doesn't apply to us hypos? My TSH levels are almost bordering hyper, need to get me dosage adjusted. Currently on 75 mcg of Thyronorm meds. Working out for 60 minutes for 4 days a week at the gym. Trying to cut back the carbs (tougher for me cause I'm a vegetarian). If anyone else on this group has been through this and conquered it, I would love to hear from you. Others who are in the same boat as me are welcome to vent......

Replies

• lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'd love to be able to give you some quick weight loss advice, but I haven't found any yet. What I can tell you is that my weight loss journey has averaged about 3lbs a month, so you're right in line with how I've lost the weight. It's slow going for us hypo's, so we just need to be patient. I know it's frustrating, but every day you stay the course you're that much healthier. You can do this!
  • rashmirao74
    Options
    @lmelangley Thank you for your reply. Your advice seems practical and sound. One more reason for me to stick to my regime:-)
  • moesaid2
    moesaid2 Posts: 67
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. Since I started MFP in June, the scale HAD NOT moved. So, I decided to fast (not for dietary reasons, but for spiritual reasons) and I did lose weight (of course), but when I went back to eating I didn't gain it all back....I only gained about 3 pounds back and that was three weeks ago, so now I'm at a stand still again.

Of course I'm not using fasting as a means to lose weight, but I do fast one week out of every month. There was a article by Dr. Alan Christianson (he wrote the book "The Complete Idiots Guide to Thyroid Disease" ) and he talked about individuals with thyroid disorders only eating from 10am - 6pm and fasting the evening until the morning. I haven't tried that yet, but I think I will starting next week. This is the link to the article. http://drchristianson.com/weight-loss-for-people-with-thyroid-disease/

I'm also going to be lowering my carbs to about 40-45 grams per meal over the next two weeks

If you find anything out...please post!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I try telling people it's not the same for people with hypothyroidism, people just believe what they want. I wish I had answers for you, but I do know you're not alone.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I read a book about Leptin (can't remember the title). It suggested that people who are hypothyroid only eat 3 times per day and not eat after 7. I tried it and it worked for me to bust a plateau. Also, cutting carbs (any breads, pasta, rice, etc) helped tremendously. It is such a tough battle. As another posted, we are different creatures when it comes to weight loss.
  • backonbandwagon
    Options
    Misery loves company - I'm in! :D
  • dkschrader
    dkschrader Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    what has worked for me is eating more often with less at each "meal". And adding more protien, not sure how that works for vegetarians, sorry I don't have any more help.
    I too have lost very slowly, but still at it for over 1 year. Oh, working out, you will see a change eventually. I look at like this: the slower you loose, the easier it will be to keep off. Just don't give up, this is your life! And we only have 1 of them.....:wink:
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Hi, :smile:

I found out that I had hypo thyroid when I hit my last 10 lbs. Had already slowly lost 30 lbs, and then it stopped. Was exercising and not feeling "better" as you're supposed to... (the whole 30 lbs went off that way, but it didn't dawn on me, since I was losing). Along with other symptoms becoming evident, I got in to the Dr. Since then, have found that it was my adrenals too.

With all the research I've done, looking for answers, I have added virgin coconut oil to my diet, and it really helps me. However I am on quite a strict-clean diet (high protein/low carb).

Since it is so hard for us to lose even 1/2 lb... I do not allow myself any slip-ups. I skip a meal / rather then eat something "off plan." I don't drink any alcohol (learned years ago - through diet counseling, that those who drink even one drink on the week-end will erase 5 days of dieting).

Another thing I've just come across, is that hypothyroid's will not do as well on "aerobic" exercise. But rather strength training. I have started "easing up" on my intensity, and am doing some strength training, looking for more ways to add that, and I am getting better results. (funny thing, that is exactly what my body has been screaming at me, but I ignored it...):tongue:

Hope some of my experience helps.
    Blessings, :flowerforyou:
    Debby
  • rashmirao74
    Options
    Thank you people for all the tips and motivation. I feel very relieved that I'm not alone. Misery indeed loves company:-) Jokes apart, all of you have a similar message and that is - don't give up! that is exactly what I intend to do.
    @Debbie thank you for the tip about alcohol. I'm by no means a regular alcohol consumer, but, surprised to know that even a glass of wine on weekends can be an undoing of your effort. Shall steer clear of it! Also good tip on strength training. I see you have come a long way on your weight loss journey. Congrats and all the best, you just have 3 more pounds to go..... So go get them!!!
  • Cindy873
    Cindy873 Posts: 1,165
    Options
    It's taken me 8 months to lose 13.6 pounds. Eight. Months. I have less than a half a pound to go to reach my goal weight and the scale just keeps rolling back and forth with the same 3-4 pounds and it never gets any lower. It is beyond frustrating. Once I reach my goal weight I have no idea how I will even manage "maintenance." After all, I am apparently maintaining rather than losing already and I can't drop my calorie count any lower!
  • dalexander82
    dalexander82 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have struggled with being "HYPO" as well. I worked out for a while without seeing any results, however recently I have dropped 14 pds. I have lowered my calories to 1100 a day. I eat more protein and fish (baked) of course. Have you tried to talking to your Endo about this or maybe looking for a new doctor?
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I had read that people with thyroid problems may also have difficulty processing wheat, nuts were also a food mentioned. As I also developed a severe nut allergy later in life when my thyroid went wrong (producing Reverse T3 in 2002) I decided to try it.

I dropped 7lbs first week, 18lbs by end of the next month (6 week), 16lbs the following month and by last xmas was half a stone ahead of schedule! so lowered my goal by a stone (original goal was to make 10st 7 (top end of healthy for my height) changed it to 9st 7 and reached that this June (middle of healthy range).

I'd like to go lower again (bottom of range is 8st 7 but would be happy with 9st) but my weight before my thyroid problems and throughout most of my teens/adulthood was around 9st 7 so I'm now struggling to get below that.

Maybe cos body is used to been wheat free now, if I do have bread (1-2 a week) its gluten free. But I still try and stay low carb in general and most meals are just salad or veg with fish or white meal (or Quorn - no red meat) without potatoes, pasta or rice etc.

I have highered my dose unofficially before to help with weight loss I've since found a supplement that doesn't artificially provide you with T3 but contains something called Gugglesterones which encourage your body to make more T3 from the T4 medication (unless your problem is the actual conversion not the production of T4) so I'm trying that at the minute.

I could do with something for the damn food cravings cos I had two periods last month this one came 3 weeks after last one so only had 1 week free of cravings in the last 6! I'm living on chocolate slim fast at the minute in order to both stick to a diet and satisfy my chocolate cravings! :noway: :blushing: :sad: damn hormones!!!
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    You're very welcome Rashmirao :wink:

Its taken me 11 months to lose 37 lbs. I'm 59 yrs. old & have hypothyroidism & adrenal issues that are being addressed & I'm so happy to be regaining my health! :happy:

Getting rid of the weight is slow but sure... on step at a time, and you can climb that mountain!

The freedom of that 37 lbs is felt so much in my joints & attitude, along with energy level! (Although its hard to know how much of that is from the treatment I'm having... as I should have been feeling more energy when it was only 30 lbs off.)

Indulgence does not pay off. :ohwell: Press in to what your really want... let your brain decide, not your appetite. :drinker:
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I just today scheduled my 1st appt with an Endo. It's not until Jan 2 (first available :/ ) I am wondering what questions and tests I should ask for when I go as I believe I may have a thyroid issue. (My mother is Hyper and my two aunts are Hypo, one undergoing surgery in a month for something related to her thyroid). Any advice or tips are greatly welcomed.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread! I just today scheduled my 1st appt with an Endo. It's not until Jan 2 (first available :/ ) I am wondering what Iron/Ferritin levels, etc.

This is a great site and they sell a fantastic book: www.stopthethyroidmadness.com -- they also have a very supportive Facebook group Stop The Thyroid Madness.

Most doctors only test for TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone -- but this is not produced by your thyroid and is not a good indication of your thyroid and metabolic health. Some doctors test for T4, but T4 is an inactive thyroid hormone, so not very helpful either. The Active Thyroid Hormone is T3 -- and most doctors don't even test for it! They are complete idiots. Your t4 levels should be on the low side of normal or even below normal. Your T3 levels should be on the high side of normal. TSH is completely irrelevant except potentially as an indicator of cancer.

So, on this site is a list of labs that are recommended -- you should take this with you.
    Also on this site is a list of most common hypo symptoms - you would be surprised to see some symptoms you may have that are actually caused by hypothryoidism.

If you have symptoms tell the endo you want him to treat your symptoms, not just your labs.
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    So inspiring to read all of the replies to this thread. It is great to hear that although weight loss can be excrutiatingly slow with hypo, those who stick with it do eventually show progress. My challenge is that when the scales don't budge anywhere near as quickly as I would like/think they should. I throw in the towel and find myself within a few weeks back to square one. Reading all of these stories of success inspires me to stick with it.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the website and the info! Very informative.
  • waffleflavoredtea
    waffleflavoredtea Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting out wheat, added sugar, diet and regular soda, and dairy? I'd really suggest that if you have hypo and you are not losing even though you are doing all the right things. :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Most doctors only test for TSH - Thyroid Stimulating Hormone -- but this is not produced by your thyroid and is not a good indication of your thyroid and metabolic health. Some doctors test for T4, but T4 is an inactive thyroid hormone, so not very helpful either. The Active Thyroid Hormone is T3 -- and most doctors don't even test for it! They are complete idiots. Your t4 levels should be on the low side of normal or even below normal. Your T3 levels should be on the high side of normal. TSH is completely irrelevant except potentially as an indicator of cancer.

My local surgery will also only test for T4, they say its too expensive to test for all of them each time. I now refuse to go I wrote to them and said I get better indication from my symptoms and do better on a higher dose than them highering and lowering it each time depending on what my blood test says!

This has given me the freedom to higher my dose when I thought i needed it but still only lost 3st in one year and still stuck at 9st 7 mark so I don't think it is thyroid issues. I suspect mine is more to do with menopause and hormones so think I'm gonna go on progesterone cream and something to help with cortisol and estrogen levels I think, see if that makes a difference, it's really frustrating!
  • TXBelle1174
    TXBelle1174 Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    What I am about to say may induce some serious backlash but that's ok....

My endo put me on a low carb diet. Not just for the hypo but for insulin resistance as well. I was on WW for a year and gained 45 lbs. Now, I eat 50g NET carbs per day or less. I have lost 35 lbs since February. Personally, I can NOT eat starchy/white carbs - refined sugar, bread, rice, pasta, etc or I will gain weight. All of my carbs come in the form of fruits, veggies, nuts, etc. I eat a lot of lean meats and protein sources, lots of fiber, lots of veggies, and a few sugar free snacks that I havent been able to give up yet. :)
    Anyway, I am not saying this WILL work for you, just saying that if you havent tried this approach yet, maybe it will change things up enough for you that your body will respond and the weight will start to come off. Also, a lot of people dont go low carb this drastically, they reduce to 100g NET or so. I have found that if I stay between 30 - 50 NET, I will lose about a pound a week. Like I said, what is right for me isnt right for everyone.

Also, do some research on coconut oil - it has helped a lot of people on this board, myself included.

You will find a lot of support on this board. Good luck and welcome!