Pain from Pseudo-polyps / Scarring

Options
Anyone have pseudopolyps? Does the scar tissue hurt? I have been off my UC meds and in remission for 3-4yrs now. I began having focal left upper abdominal pain 2 1/2months ago, especially 15-20mins after eating. My GI doc did a colonoscopy and discovered new scarring, (since my last colonoscopy), and pseudopolyps in my colon at the splenic flexure, where my pain is. I went on a bland diet immediately. My GI doc gave me a script for Hyoscyamine, to keep my colon from spasming. The pain is still there off and on, especially in the mornings and after intruducing certain new foods into my bland diet like fruits, and beef. Is it normal for scar tissue to hurt like that? Also I am having some serious cravings for fruits and vegetables, and I think I am lacking nutrients. Any ideas?

Replies

• lafresita
    Options
    Sounds painful!! I can't help with polyps unfortunately, but in terms of fruit and veg, how about making soups with vegetables that are completely blended, avoiding cruciiferous veggies like broccoli, cauliflower, and onion and garlic (gas producing foods) one that helps me in a flare is carrot, parsnip, sweet potato and turmeric.... (with all veggies peeled)

Also try raw fruit and vegetable juices, easy to digest, but you still get the enzymes...

Also peeling fruits like pears and poaching them with some cinnamon and vanilla...

And finally, making some plain but tasty dips, I.e. with zuchhini, which is low residue and blended or processed should be easy to digest.

Good luck
  • troberts1521
    Options
    Thanks Iafresita. ~ I never thought about low residue veggies, I have been focusing so much on low fibrous foods, that I forgot there may be some veggies that may work. I guess I just got baffles since it isn't a flare, and just pain. I can't get parsnips where I live, but I think I may try your suggestion for the blended soup. Do have any recipes?

Also, I am thinking of buying a really good juicer....but I don't know if that would work. Does anyone juice?
  • fab_ridz
    fab_ridz Posts: 73
    Options
    I do fruit smoothies 2 times a day. Haven't really thought of juicing vegetables as yet. But you can google some recipies on juicing vegetables. I am sure you will find delicious ones =)
  • lafresita
    Options
    Juicing is great as you get the enzymes without the fibre, however sugar is known to be inflammatory, even natural sugar, so I would be careful about having just fruit juice. Google anti-inflammatory juices and you should find some great combos.... GINGER is the best for digestive issues and inflammation.

here is a low residue soup recipe for you:

Serves 3-4

4 large carrots
    1 large sweet potato
    500ml low sodium chicken (or vegetable) stock
    500ml water
    1 tbsp coconut or olive oil
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 inch knob of fresh ginger root
    1 tbsp mustard powder
    1/3 cup light coconut milk

peel (less fibre) and chop carrots, ginger and sweet potato, place into a saucepan with chosen oil and sautee for 2-3 minutes until ginger is really fragrant.

Add chicken stock and enough water until vegetables are just covered

Add turmeric, mustard powder and salt and pepper to taste

Bring to the boil and then simmer for around 20 minutes on medium heat until the vegetables are very tender

Blend with a handheld stick mixer or in a food processor until creamy.

Stir in coconut milk and serve

Carrots, turmeric and ginger are all wonderfully soothing for the digestive tract... you could also add onion and garlic if you can tolerate them, however they are high in fibre and are known gas producing foods, so I avoid them at the moment.