Blood Donation Recovery Food?

Options
Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
I've always been a "good doner" when it came to giving blood (never pass out, usually quick, quick recovery), so it was no surprise to me that I felt pretty good afterward when I donated this morning, but I was curious - has anyone noticed any changes in their immediate recovery after donating blood? I noticed that all the post-donation recovery stuff were high-sugar/high-carb/grain-based stuff (which makes sense in a SAD context). Also, do you eat anything immediately after? If so, what do you usually have?

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    After I went paleo the iron in my blood went from "go home, you're anemic" to " oh wow! you're off the chart" (for women who have a lower baseline iron requirement than men), I've never had an issue with giving blood and last time brought my own post donation snack (an orange) and had coconut water when I got home. Unfortunately I've dipped below their cutoff for weight so trying to gain weight ... a little tough to do when most conventional 'fattening' foods are not appealing anymore (to me or the gut) ... ok, except red wine. Pigging out on chicken & rib bbq is in the cards ;-)
  • amanda6393
    amanda6393 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I normally have a bottle of water then just go home afterwards and have a protein drink, like I did last night :drinker: .
    They only offer milkshakes, sausage rolls, biscuits, cake or juice at our local blood bank, all of which are laden with sugar or grains.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I normally have a bottle of water then just go home afterwards and have a protein drink, like I did last night :drinker: .
    They only offer milkshakes, sausage rolls, biscuits, cake or juice at our local blood bank, all of which are laden with sugar or grains.

Wow! we get really pathetic looking cookies, and apple/orange juice. On Tuesdays they have donuts. Still ... crap.
  • skinnyfithealthyme
    Options
    Mine has the typical cookies, sugar added juice, and "100 cal" packs of junk. They try their hardest not to let me leave without eating but I tell them I am lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive. That shuts them up...how hard would it be for these places to have fresh fruit for crying out loud??
  • CMcD1445
    CMcD1445 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Mine has the typical cookies, sugar added juice, and "100 cal" packs of junk. They try their hardest not to let me leave without eating but I tell them I am lactose intolerant and gluten sensitive. That shuts them up...how hard would it be for these places to have fresh fruit for crying out loud??

I agree! I would take the fresh fruit! I supose it doesn't travel well, but I pass up the candy / cookie bits and find an apple in the cafeteria.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I was planning to start donating plasma, and was wondering the same thing. But with those donations, they take a fair bit of blood protein, so I would imagine a protein shake would be the way to recover after that? Last time I did it was 15 years ago, they never gave us snacks then, so I doubt they do now.