How many grams of carbs a day do you shoot for?

Options
Just curious.... Michelle

Replies

• SweetxCatastrophe
    SweetxCatastrophe Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    50 or less (not net, 50 total)
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Usually 30-40 net
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    usually under 25g NET (it's normally about 20g, the 5g is wiggle room)
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Between 20-50g but I am nearly at goal. I used to aim for under 20g when I was starting out.
  • jsabet
    jsabet Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    16- 24 per day
  • xMillyLouisex
    xMillyLouisex Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    and how much do u need to eat to get into ketosis? thought this would be the right topic to ask?
  • flynnfinn
    flynnfinn Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    and how much do u need to eat to get into ketosis? thought this would be the right topic to ask?

ketosis is different for everyone...or to REACH it is a different amount of carbs for everyone. for me, i have to stay at 20g or less for about 3-4 days to get there and it is HELL!! get some ketostix at your local pharmacy or apothecary and check yourself first thing in the morning everyday. you'll know you're in ketosis once your pee turns that ketostick pink. the darker the shade of pink, the greater the amount of ketones you are releasing. hope that helps.
  • Laura_beau
    Laura_beau Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

I bought my ketostix from Boots, at the pharmacy desk. You can also buy them on Amazon. Buy a pack of these to test whether you are in ketosis.

Any shade of pink will indicate ketosis. Some people worry that because their stick isn't the dark colour that they arent in ketosis, but this doesnt matter. Drinking lots of water (which you should on a LC Diet) will make the strip lighter, as will exercise- as you sweat out ketones. Here is a useful article:

http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/ketostix.html

Like someone said above- everyone is different and someone may need 20g of carbs for ketosis, some 60g but the benchmark advised is 20g-40g NET per day for ketosis.

Perhaps try yourself on 40g, test and if not, lower every few days by a few grams.

Good luck!
  • cartrat
    cartrat Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    if your breath stinks and there's no gum or toothpaste that will help for more than 30 minutes, that's a pretty good sign you're in ketosis.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    if your breath stinks and there's no gum or toothpaste that will help for more than 30 minutes, that's a pretty good sign you're in ketosis.

I think that is halitosis.

50g carbs for me these days, I was doing 30g for a few months.

I can't say the extra 20g hasn't hindered progress any.

65% fat is also key for me (dietary intake that is, not a body fat percentage goal ;)).

Lovely, lovely fat.
  • maremare312
    maremare312 Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    I'm doing under 40 net right now but decreasing by 10 a week until I get to 20. Going to hold at 20 for a couple weeks and then see. Mentally, I just couldn't hop in at 20 so started at 60. :)