Thinking of changing the workout routine. . .

Options
amonkey794
amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
Okay so JUST started my college days. Very, very stressful! This initial cost is ridiculous!

Anyways. I am a avid gym user
Workout schedule: Mon-Fri 60min total workout

• Mon-Thur: 30 min stair master (while wearing ankle weights)
30 min upper body strength (still wearing ankle weights)

* strength usually consists of hand held/free weights with some body weight&machine exercise thrown in

•Fri: 40-45 min lower body (wearing ankle weights)
15-20 min core work (with ankle weights and possible upper body thrown in)

* strength mainly body weight exercise with some machine and hand held weights

I am thinking of changing up the routine a bit. I don't know why I want too (especially because I stress with change), but I feel like it may need it?

What I was thinking was to make Mon, Wed, & Fri 60min. strength and Tue & Thur 30min stairmaster. What freaks me out is that it will cut gym time from 5 hours a week to 4 hours. I'm scared how this may affect my maitenance and calorie goals...

Advice? Suggestions? Any sort of comment appreciated :)

Replies

• Tahlij
    Tahlij Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    For me, change is always good. Your body can get too used to the same routine, you need to challenge yourself for your body to react. The hour loss to me is no biggy, just try and up the weights you're using to increase the burn?

Just my personal opinion :)
  • amonkey794
    Options
    I can try to up weights to the best I can :) I'm at maitenance so that is why I'm worried about the time difference changing my caloric goals :)
  • ladyace2078
    ladyace2078 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    The time difference probably won't affect your goals. In fact you might find that you are more effective at your workouts because you aren't trying to split attention/time. Also if you are strength training, lose the ankle weights. You can really hurt yourself. Your body wasn't designed to have extra weight at the ankles so it has to compensate, which may affect your form for everything else.
  • amonkey794
    Options
    okay another idea! This one also make me a bit uneasy, but the schedule I believe works better :/

Strength M,W,&F 90 min.

T,THUR either take rest or do a class in the gym

?? Thoughts on this?
  • riouxt
    riouxt Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    okay another idea! This one also make me a bit uneasy, but the schedule I believe works better :/

Strength M,W,&F 90 min.

T,THUR either take rest or do a class in the gym

?? Thoughts on this?

I like this idea better. Do some interval training on those days if you're feeling okay and not lifting SUPER heavy. That should be enough so that you have recovery days in between. Don't work the same muscle groups more than 2x/week though. :)
  • amonkey794
    Options
    If did take them as rest days though, that would be 4 rest days total because I don't do Saturday or Sunday…will that hurt or affect my goals?