Vaginas have awesome secret sperm deflectors!

Options
Azdak
Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    What's there to debate? He's an idiot.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What's there to debate? He's an idiot.

QFT
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    There are people in this country that are fundamentally against abortion for any reason. They have a right to their beliefs. Just don't attempt to shove your beliefs down my throat. The GOP would be a lot better off if they would just accept the fact that Roe vs Wade will not be overturned and just move on.

ya and Akin is an idiot.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Makes me miss Clinton. Now THERE was a man who supported vagina.
  • Mcctin65
    Mcctin65 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Idiot people are the reason I choose to live in a cave. No, I am not saying all people are idiots.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    Idiot people are the reason I choose to live in a cave. No, I am not saying all people are idiots.

You get internet in a cave? Cooooool!
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    There are people in this country that are fundamentally against abortion for any reason. They have a right to their beliefs. Just don't attempt to shove your beliefs down my throat. The GOP would be a lot better off if they would just accept the fact that Roe vs Wade will not be overturned and just move on.

ya and Akin is an idiot.

Not sure about that one. We're not sure where Justice Roberts is, but if he's with Scalia, Thomas and (probably) Alito, the SCOTUS is only one vote away.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    It's a super secret sponge that goes into action as the rape is happening, it absorbs then spits back out.
    Of course the sponge knows when it's a legitimate rape......
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I am ROFLing because I find it hard to believe, that he thought it was OK to say this. What a douche!!!! If he does win the race, what does that say about the people in his state? LOL....seriously, what an ignorant statement.
  • lour441
    Options
    I am ROFLing because I find it hard to believe, that he thought it was OK to say this. What a douche!!!! If he does win the race, what does that say about the people in his state? LOL....seriously, what an ignorant statement.

Polling is pretty worthless right now but before the statements he had a pretty big lead over McCaskill. Now he has a small lead.
  • lour441
    Options

ya and Akin is an idiot.

Not sure about that one. We're not sure where Justice Roberts is, but if he's with Scalia, Thomas and (probably) Alito, the SCOTUS is only one vote away.

And there you have it.... This is why I continue to vote for Democrat presidents.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    The guy is an idiot. And he does not represent me or my views. But then really no democrat or republican does. I may be a registered republican, but I wouldn't vote for this guy if it were between him and Satan. But what is even more sad that he believes this enough to say it to the press, is that there are morons that will vote for this guy.
  • DoingItNow2012
    DoingItNow2012 Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    "Last year, Akin joined with GOP vice presidential candidate Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) as two of the original co-sponsors of the “No Taxpayer Funding for Abortion Act,” a bill which, among other things, introduced the country to the bizarre term “forcible rape.”"

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/08/19/712251/how-todd-akin-and-paul-ryan-partnered-to-redefine-rape/

In full disclosure, I got the link from a Facebook post and by how the article is written, the article appears to be from a pretty "left leaning" group. I try to avoid those. But made me go hmmmmm.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    You know I think some of these politicians may have lost that filter that goes between their mouth and their brains. I mean did he miss anatomy class in school or something. And "in the case of actual forceable rape" that statement alone should have won him the moron award never mind what followed. UGH
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    You know I think some of these politicians may have lost that filter that goes between their mouth and their brains. I mean did he miss anatomy class in school or something. And "in the case of actual forceable rape" that statement alone should have won him the moron award never mind what followed. UGH

I don't think drawing a distinction between forced rape and statutory rape is necessarily inaccurate. I just think it's off topic. Regardless the man is few crayons short of a box.

It all sounds very Victorian to me. If I recall correctly, they believed that a woman can't conceive unless she has an orgasm, and that an orgasm isn't possible in the case of rape (both inaccurate). So, the logic went that if a pregnancy happened, it must mean that the woman gave consent.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    It's actually a lot older an idea than Victorian, EK.
    Legitimate rape' – a medieval medical concept
    The idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant is a very old medical theory

. . . The idea that rape victims cannot get pregnant has long roots. The legal position that pregnancy disproved a claim of rape appears to have been instituted in the UK sometime in the 13th century. One of the earliest British legal texts, Fleta, has a clause in the first book of the second volume stating that:

"If, however, the woman should have conceived at the time alleged in the appeal, it abates, for without a woman's consent she could not conceive."

This was a long-lived legal argument. Samuel Farr's Elements of Medical Jurisprudence contained the same idea as late as 1814:

"For without an excitation of lust, or the enjoyment of pleasure in the venereal act, no conception can probably take place. So that if an absolute rape were to be perpetrated, it is not likely she would become pregnant."

This "absolute rape" is not quite the same as Akin's "legitimate rape". Akin seems to be suggesting that the body suppresses conception or causes a miscarriage, while the earlier idea of Farr relates specifically to the importance of orgasm. Through the medieval and early modern period it was widely thought, by lay people as well as doctors, that women could only conceive if they had an orgasm. . . .

Medical theories of sex, reproduction and conception changed gradually through the 18th century, so that by the 19th century the female orgasm was considered much less important for conception, and the female "seed" – if it even existed – was of less significance to the foetus. In popular culture the idea of the essential female orgasm lingered, and seems to still exist in a mutated form today.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/the-h-word/2012/aug/20/legitimate-rape-medieval-medical-concept
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe he said that. He did not do republicans or any pro-life supporters any favors.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    For a party that doesn't want the election to be based on women's rights issues... they sure are doing a bang up job of keeping it out of the news cycles
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe he said that. He did not do republicans or any pro-life supporters any favors.

I'm sure he doesn't speak for you, but I am not sure he is that far out of the republican mainstream. The "sperm deflector" stuff is goofy, but I read that Republicans are going to sign off on a platform plank for the national convention that outlaws abortion even in the case of rape and incest, and the proposed VP Mr Ryan worked with Akin to sponsor the federal bill mandating full "personhood" status for fertilized eggs. The "personhood" idea is considered so extreme, it was even rejected by voters in Mississippi last year.