don't know much, new to this

Options
kimdarren
kimdarren Posts: 76 Member
I'm 43, I've had lupus for 12 yrs, I also have fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis, I'm aneamic, have irritable bowel syndrom, a major problem with my vision for which I'm waiting for the results of some serious testing that has been done, and I've just been diagnosed as type 2 diabetic on Thursday. NOTE: I didn't know I was diabetic when the eye testing began.

I've been on MFP for about 6 months and I've lost 17lbs (it was 22 but I've done the rollercoater thing and put 5lbs back on), which is the most I've ever lost in one 'sitting' of trying to lose weight.

Because of all of my medical problems I'm under STRICT ORDERS NOT to do any sort of excercising but walkng in a swimming pool or walking. Depending on the status of my condition at the time, even that can be very difficult. I use a walker most times but when my condition is 'flarred up' I'm in a wheelchair. I also have a scooter that is in constant use as well.

I'm lost, disheartened, and ignorant of anything to do with diabetes. I've had a couple of websites referred to me and I've looked them up but it is all so overwhelming to take in all at once.

Just looking for some 'buddies' I suppose. Bit of a 'whoas me' scenario, but heh, if you don't ask, you don't get right?

Kim

Replies

• robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimdarren, if you're looking for encouragement and support plus constructive advice, you've come to the right place, so welcome to this group. The feelings you describe will be recognised by many of us in the group. I'm sorry that you've been diagnosed with Diabetes on top of everything else. Take your time to look at the various boards within this and other diabetic support groups on MFP. You've already recognised the importance of losing at least some weight which is a great start. Diabetes affects us all in different ways and you will quickly find that foods which can be tolerated by one person can not be tolerated by another. I agree that it is easy to become overwhelmed and become discouraged. My advice is to start with one aspect of managing your condition and only moving on to another item when you feel confident to do so. If your medical advisers have not already done so, I would suggest that you go on a Diabetes education course as quickly as possibly. Not only will you get reassurance but you will get lots of useful information which you can start applying. Finally, the really good news is that there are a number of really knowledgable and supportive people in this group who are willing to share their expertise with the rest of us. I wish you well and am willing to share what I have learned here if you thinkmight be helpful.
  • Cameo530
    Cameo530 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Welcome. I am new to the diabetes diagnoses as well and being a bit of an information junkie, I've been reading everything I can get my hands on. I agree with you that it can be overwhelming and I'm only trying to deal with one illness compared to what you're facing. Feel free to add me for questions/support. Maybe we can learn together.
  • Sharonks
    Sharonks Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Welcome Kim,

Wow, you really have a lot going on. I can understand why you feel a little overwhelmed. I agree with Robert that you want to pick one thing and work on that then move on to other things. Small improvements are still a step in the right direction so don't feel discouraged. I also agree that a class can be very helpful.

Having been anemic I can tell you that just that will make you depressed and lack energy. I cook in cast iron pans which imparts some iron into the food. I also take iron pills but with your IBS that may or may not cause problems. If it does, you might want to try some of the slower absorbing pills. Eating red meat helps too. I hate liver so won't tell you to eat that although it does have a lot of iron.

As with many other health problem, diabetes is sort of an experiment. Many medical people will tell you that as a type 2 you only need to test once a day. Not so, you need to know what different foods do to you because you will be unique in what elevates your blood glucose and what doesn't. I usually test first thing in the morning and about 2 hrs after a meal. I have also tested after exercise to see what it does to me. I sometimes test randomly at other times. I test more often when I change meds.

Eventually with food logging and testing you can figure out what foods work and don't work for you. Some people put their tests into their food diary by creating their own food and changing the reading number. I try to do this but am not always good about it. It is a great way to see exactly what you ate that triggered a high.

Eventually, you do get over the shock of the diagnosis and if you take care of yourself it is not the worst disease to have. Your eye problem may also improve with your blood glucose if it is diabetes related. About 14 years ago there was some deterioration in my eyes and as my BG got better so did the damage. For the last 9 years there has been no diabetic damage. Also, anemia can cause blurry vision. Mine was horrible until my iron got into the normal range.
  • TheEmi
    TheEmi Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group. I agree with approaching it slowly so as to not be overwhelmed. Will you be taking any diabetes education classes? After my diagnosis, I found those to be helpful. YMMV.
  • kimdarren
    Options
    Thanks for the words of wisdom.

The nurse has referred my husband and myself to a diabetes 'workshop' but it's still very early days and we haven't been told when it is yet.

I've read some info off of the internet for diabetes UK and another American site. It all sounds quite familiar in alot of aspects and preventions as for my Lupus, so it really shouldn't be too hard to fall into line.

I am wondering about the glucose reading thingy that I've seen an aquantence do on occassion. Is that something that is normally done with type 2 diabetes? My nurse wants me to try the 'diet' thing for the first 6 months, and then possibly go onto medication if just changing the diet doesn't work.

What I find really strange is, it wasn't until I had the eye problem and was told to come off of one of my meds for the Lupus (one that helped to stabalise my blood cells) that the diabetes showed up. Through reading the symptoms of diabetes, I think I may have been suffering with it for quite some time but didn't realise it was something new. All of my conditions and medications have so many symptoms and side affects that I never really know what is normal and what isn't when a 'new symptom' shows up.

I will say though, I've only been REALLY watching my diet and activity since Friday even though I was already a member of MFP. I know it's only monday but I actually feel more 'awake' and 'alive'. It was obviously affecting me much more than anyone had realised.

It's nice to know that good 'ol MFP friends have come through again :)

Kim
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I would ask the nurse for a meter. Often, you can get a starter pack with some strips, lancets, lancing device and meter for free from the dr. You can also purchase them at pharmacies without a prescription although you will probably need one if your insurance is paying. Some insurance, it will fall under durable medical equipment and have to come from a DME supplier. Odds are, they will tell you to test once a day and that is all the strips the insurance will cover. You can buy more although they are pricey. The meter I use is fairly cheap, I pay $28 per 100 strips but then there is usually an $8 coupon in each box. So you will want to shop around, the important part being that you want to know what the strips cost, meters are pretty cheap or free. You will still want a meter even when using diet and exercise only. You would have no idea if what you are doing is working if you can only get a test once every few months.

I think most diabetics get sleepy when their BG is high so just by paying attention to what you eat you will probably feel much better. Let us know if you have any more questions.
  • pennell12
    pennell12 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi Kim,

Sorry that you had to join this club!I think it is a lot if info to absorb at first and a bit stressful. One thing that I have learned, via testing and also reading, is that the key is controlling carbohydrates. There are different theories about this so you should read different sources.

Exercise is also excellent in reducing blood sugar levels, even if you can't do a lot, even a little might help. I have been walking, although slowly but move a little further each day. This site has also helped me to keep better track of my carbs!

Best to you!

mdp
  • EinTX
    EinTX Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    go to Costco or Walmart pharmacy and ask them what the cheapest strips cost? Then buy the machine that uses the cheap strips. You'll save huge amounts of money over your lifetime.

This is exactly what my doctor told me. She said she could give me one but it would be cheaper in the long run to buy the one that used the cheapest strips.
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I have a True Result. So far at my pharmacy this is the cheapest for strips. I pay $28 for 100 but usually they have a coupon in the box for $8. I was also able to get these through my insurance but they only cover 100 every 3 months and I usually test 4 or 5 times a day. So i get what I can from my insurance and buy the rest. In fact, i was lucky, someone I know had a bunch of these strips and she doesn't like the meter so now I have a bunch. Her insurance forks out for loads of strips so it wasn't a problem for her. I think Walmart also has this meter.
  • kimdarren
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advise guys. I'm in the UK so I think (not positively sure) the kit would be free to me anyway. Our medical system is different here. I've had the letter come through for the 'workshop' and it's in September so I haven't long to wait to find out more information. I've been looking on web sites and all of the advise varies.

I have however noticed a tremendous difference in my energy level and alertness, and even being more clearheaded. I found I always felt as though I was in a fuzzy cloud but that's gone now. I think I may have had the diabetes alot longer than initially thought. It's good to have others for support and advise as I don't get out very often due to my other disabilities. :)
  • Sharonks
    Options
    I'm glad you are feeling better. High blood glucose will cause the tired fuzzy feeling so you are already moving in the right direction if that is gone.
  • Ntropic1
    Ntropic1 Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello Kim,

I'm more into reading between lines and not so much what people see on the surface. That's not to say that I take light of your conditions but I hear a desire to fight, a desire to win some battles, a will to try. If I'm right then "it is done!" these forums are awesome because you will find way more victors than victims out here.

This site is great for fitness and eating but for the diabetes try the forum at Diabetic Connect. They are some great people there and the people here are awesome so you have two worlds of motivation, pats on the back and pick me ups!

I would just say keep doing what you are NOT doing...quitting. Stay in the game. Keep pushing. When things get tough and you find yourself drained or tired or in pain. it's nothing to sat down for a bit. REST is as good as the Pills prescribed. Often sitting one out is the best medicine so don't beat yourself up for what you can't do ... but Celebrate those thing you can do!! Forget about the glass being half empty or half full. When people get to debating that crap I just drink what ever water in there and keep moving! Peace and Blessings to ya!!
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Hi Kimdarren, I'm also in the UK albeit just across the water as we say in Northern Ireland. NICE policy is not to issue meters to Type 2s unless they are on insulin. Having said that you could always simply buy a meter although the cost of strips woulsd be an issue. If you've found DiabetesUK you should be able to find the link to the petition for testing strips for UK Type2s. I'm glad you've got a date for your education course. I found mine to be a real wakeup call. You may have to treat the advice on diet, with it's emphasis on carbs, with a bit of caution. Hopefully you have been lined up for tests for retinopathy and an appointment with a podiatrist. Again Diabetes UK list the tests you should be having regularly. Sadly not all general practices are as up to speed as they should be. Reading as much as you can and exercising discernment is a really necessary part of managing diabetes.